Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera's

Florida Newbie
    Point taken Guys, but Ebay is always worth checking.

Cheers

Simon[8D]

I think that it used to be pot luck with C&E about VAT and Import Duty, but with the growth of the internet and online shopping i seem to remember them changing the way they worked. They passed the obligation to collect the fees due onto the couriers and set a threshold, above which VAT and Import Duty must be paid (I think that it is about £17). Bizarrely I have read reports that the fees being charged by the couriers can vary, with some of them also charging an administration/handling fee.

I think the couriers are very keen to enforce these charges, either to make the additional fee or they have to pay the VAT and Duty if they don't charge you.

Thanks everyone, this really helps. It gives me a few options.
    Mel - Hertfordshire

I've bought various things from the US via the net and seem to have always missed the addition of any extra fees imposed by Customs. Yet friends of mine who have purchased items (both cheaper and more expensive) have been stung and in some cases had to pay 75% of the value of the goods.

It seems that the addition of import duty is a bit of a lottery !

Its a bit more difficult to charge import duties and VAT on cameras and camcorders when you bring them back from the US yourself as its very difficult for them to prove that you didn't take it with you from the UK.
    Mike & Sue Wooder-Jones

Florida Junior
    Got a great deal on a Sony Camera from CompUSA. The store is diagonally opposite the Floida Mall at the junction. They also let you surf the net on their wireless display PC's. A cheap way to check your e-mail back home!!

Florida Junior
    you dont say what extras your looking for. when I was over in july I needed an extra fuji xd memory card and was quoted stupid prices by most of the camera outlet stores. however after a haggling I managed to get the price from 80 to 40 dollars and bought one [brand new] in the flea market next to the big orange on the 192

Well done jotter - that was a good bit of bargaining!

Florida Newbie
    I bought a camcorder from Camera Outlet at Beuna Vista outlet stores in Orlando and was overcharged by $500 and also bought lenses which I was told were worth $189 and $149 which actually were worth around $20. The salesman told asked me if I knew anything about camcorders before quoting me the price of the camcorder and then I was stupid enought to sign for $1352 on my credit card as he told me I had around $150 tax to pay to the purchase. I was informed by other camera outlet stores that he had fraudulantly sold me a camera twice the price it should be and the lenses were mickey mouse prices. I went back to the store a week later and was told that they would not refund my money back and said they could charge me what they wanted. I was stupid but thought that this was a quality store and trusted the salesman to give me value for my money. This has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth as I have lost around £500 in my currency which is around $800. I have tried various methods to try to recoup my money but have been unsucessful. I would be grateful if anyone could advise me of any way that I may be able to contact the owner of the store as I have only been able to speak to the manager. I have now returned home to Scotland.

Florida Newbie
    I'm so sorry to hear of this happening to you. You should contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau)in Florida and registar a complaint. Send them all of your information ie. receipts and product information. You should be able to get the exact name of the business from your credit card company. Also check with them to see if they might be able to help. Also, most States have a Consumer Services Agency that is run by the government just for this purpose, it is sometimes run by the City or the States Attorney offices. But I'm sure if you contact the BBB they will steer you in the right direction. I hope this helps.

Start here www.orlando.bbb.org
    Karen

You said you paid by credit card - surely you can make a complaint to them?
    Fiona