Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida in August

Florida Chatterbox

Florida in August

Am travelling in March for what my wife and I reluctantly think will be our last visit. Why?

This will be our fifth visit in 8 years. We have always chose March-May for the more reasonable cliamte and have taken the kids out of school. After this year me eldest will be starting his GCSE courses and so we will not be hoiking him out of school. this wil then repeat for his two younger brothers until such tme they have all finished school/college at which time Florida may not have the same appeal as a family with smnall children.

We have made our mind up that it is not a viable holiday destinantion in July/August due to the oppressive heatt and humidity and the exorbitant costs of air travel. Are we wrong? I am basing our view on haersay so for now would wish to gain the views og more knowledgeable folk.

What say you?

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Nigel

I have been going in the school holidays now for about 2 years, this will be our 3rd year.

Our eldest is taking triple science, so will be taking the first of her GCSE's in year 10 in May.

Yes it is more expensive, but with our working timescales, if we don't take time off when the kids are out of school, we find we don't spend family time together and enjoy our holidays. Kids faces are as we are constantly working not really a 9-5 job.

The summer last year was a lot less humid that the year before, Yes it is very warm and the nights stay about the same, just less humid. Parks are busy, but don't forget the American children finish school earlier in the year than us and go back mid to end of July as well. so after this time, you will normally find a lot of british people rather than american.

As a seasoned Orlando traveller you should be well versed in the get up early to avoid the queues. And there is so much more to do than the parks anyway.

When we spent the summer out there last year, guess what we went to the park all of 5 times in 6 weeks.[msnoo] We have not found so much more to do.

Our kids have found wake boarding and like to visit the baseball batting cages, and the state parks, as well as some mini golf etc. And they just love to make sure they come back early enough to use the pool EVERYDAY.

It was a decision we made a couple of years ago, to only do the school hols, and we have enjoyed everyone of them.
    CERI

Hi Nigel,

We also have school-age children and like Ceri always go in July/August. I can honestly say that I do not find it too uncomfortable, as they are so prepared over there - air conditioned cars, buildings, restaurants, rides, shops etc etc. And of course there is always the swimming pool at the villa - perfect[msnsmile2]
    Dawn Murray

Florida Chatterbox
    Just re-read my original post. Please excuse the typo's!!

[msnembarrased]

We are in the same boat, and have had to go in August for the last 6 years.

You will find that after the first week in August the Parks do calm down a bit as the Americans start going back to school.

Yes it is warm, but as with Dawn, we have never found it a problem and the air conditioning does its job.

I would like to be able to do something about the air fares, but all you can do is shop around. The airlines know they have a prime destination, and will charge what they can get away with. There are some good Charter airlines flying there now that are certainly cheaper than the main carriers.
    Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    After normally going in May we went to Florida for the first time during the school holidays last year. To be honest I was quite anxious about the heat and humidity but can honestly say I've known it hotter in May. The weather was great and I'd not worry about going in July/August again. The flights can be more expensive in the school holidays but that will be the same with any destination.
    Paula

Florida Savvy
    Don't believe Florida loses it's appeal when your family is past school age - mine are 23 and 20 and still won't let us go to Florida without them!! It's a different kind of holiday but just as enjoyable none the less when you go as four adults.
    [msnsmile][msnsmile]

Florida Junior
    Nigel
    We also have been in August for the last 2 years, since the children are getting to an age where taking them out of school would be difficult. The humidty last year as Ceri said was no where near as bad as the previous year. The flight prices are a bit more expensive around this time of year around £350 thats what we paid last year. We didn't find it any busier than when we've been in May as the American children go back to school early August.
    Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do.
    [msnsmile]
    Jeanette

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks

Interesting to note that you were quoted prices around £350.00. Whenever I have asked they have been over £500.

Florida Expert
    We love August, especially towards the end of August as it is alot quieter then as the American children are back in school.