Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Retirement

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:by the way i'm pressuming a duplex is a semi-detached house
    [/quote]

A duplex is a 2 storey apartment with an inner staircase. e.g. the living rooms on one floor and the bedrooms on another.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:by the way i'm pressuming a duplex is a semi-detached house
    [/quote]

A duplex is a 2 storey apartment with an inner staircase. e.g. the living rooms on one floor and the bedrooms on another.

[/quote]

what's the difference between that and a town house then?
    tezz 7628

Gold 5 Star Member
    There could be another two storey duplex apartment on the top of the first duplex apartment.

A townhouse is just one (usually terraced) home with no-one above or below.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:what's the difference between that and a town house then?[/quote]

68th St and 1st Ave
    APARTMENT: Unique penthouse duplex built on the top of a six story elevator building. All new construction. Large living room with 16 foot ceilings. Formal dining room or 3rd bedroom, kitchen and second bedroom on the first level. Large terrace and open city views. Upstairs - Master bedroom with two exposures, walk-in closet, second marble bath. Sky line windows.
    BUILDING: Eight story elevator building. Laundry on premises. Video intercom system. Live-in super. Renovated lobby and hallways.
    PRICE: $5000.00 per month

Florida Savvy
    No a duplex is actually a building which has been split to make more than one family home. You can actually have a single storey house which has been split into two separate dwellings to accommodate two families equally. Each has it's own entrance, each will be responsible for their own mortgage/rent and bills and taxes accordingly.

A duplex is not necessarily shared staircase, it's not necessarily one home on top of another. It's simply something which has been split to accommodate more than one dwelling. Sorry to correct you. Check with Realtor.Com for actual duplexes. Many are single storey, bungalow like structures, with separate entrance doors to each accommodation. The original entrance door may or may not lead to a hallway which then has separate doors to each accommodation or there may be two front doors either side of each other.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Arby,
    We live and learn! With property I had only ever heard of the term 'duplex' in relation to two storey apartments. However looking it up it shows that,in the USA, you are correct that it can mean my definition(as shown in post above) and yours.

I don't believe there is any other recognised way in the USA of describing an Apartment spread over 2 floors(in a block of apartments)other than duplex.

The problem is that 'Duplex' is widely used in UK to describe 2 storey apartments, particularly in London and that, as far as I am aware, is the only definition - a search will produce loads of examples viz:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:An outstanding three bedroomed duplex penthouse apartment on the 7th and 8th floor in this superb contemporary apartment block with porterage and gym moments from Kew Bridge and the River Thames.[/quote]

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Arby
    No a duplex is actually a building which has been split to make more than one family home. You can actually have a single storey house which has been split into two separate dwellings to accommodate two families equally. Each has it's own entrance, each will be responsible for their own mortgage/rent and bills and taxes accordingly.

It's simply something which has been split to accommodate more than one dwelling.

Many are single storey, bungalow like structures, with separate entrance doors to each accommodation. The original entrance door may or may not lead to a hallway which then has separate doors to each accommodation or there may be two front doors either side of each other.
    [/quote]

??? semi-detached ??

have looked up realtor sites and they also mention triplex and fourplex
    tezz 7628

Florida Savvy
    No semi detached are two separate houses which are linked in the middle together. They were built as two separate houses and intended as so. Triplex and fourplex are as said, they are from one structure which has been amended to accommodate 3 or 4 dwellings. It's the same as when you have a house in England whereby the top floor is zoned as a flat and the ground floor has been sectioned off as another flat. They have had permission applied for and have been rezoned as two separate addresses, eg. Flat A, Flat B, at 100 Happy Street, originally one address when built and now rezoned as two. Same for triplex and fourplex.

Two storey apartments today are simply known as two storey apartments.

Florida Expert
    my cousin in sc was looking at <span style="color:red">new duplexes</span id="red"> a few months ago

these haven't been converted

i was going to ask about your post earlier it sounded like you was talking about a house that had been converted
    tezz 7628

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Two storey apartments today are simply known as two storey apartments[/quote]

We are in real danger of confusion here. I am in USA now and have been asking all my American friends.

An apartment spread over 2 storeys(with an internal staircase) and say on the 7th and 8th floor, is known as a 'duplex' both in USA and UK. See the extracts I posted above from a USA and UK advert - and you will find that the common term.

If you said a 2 storey apartment to most people in would mean a 2 storey block of apartments with an apartment on the bottom floor and an separate apartment directly above it being the top floor.

Also duplexs/triplex/fourplex(apartments) are not always conversions. The upscale new Apartment/Condo blocks in Miami have duplex and triplex units - particularly the penthouses - with the reception rooms above th bedrooms.