Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Florida Savvy
    Esprit/Chrizzy - thanks for the sensible advice - this is just the sort of reminders we need.

Taking the time over the decision will I hope allow us to look at all the angles. I did consider longer term rental but anything other than a holiday let seems to be unfurnished. I can find no mention of the equivialant of our '6 month assured tenancy' which would be just what we need.

I will keep up the research till the plan comes together!

Thanks for your continued input.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Esprit/Chrizzy - thanks for the sensible advice - this is just the sort of reminders we need.

Taking the time over the decision will I hope allow us to look at all the angles. I did consider longer term rental but anything other than a holiday let seems to be unfurnished. I can find no mention of the equivialant of our '6 month assured tenancy' which would be just what we need.

I will keep up the research till the plan comes together!
    [/quote]

Hundreds of thousands of 'Snowbirds' migrate South to Florida in the winter to escape the frozen North, and there are a mass of furnished properties trailers/condos/houses available for 3 to 6 months lets.

You will find the majority of the better ones along either coast which are much nicer areas than inland.

Gold 5 Star Member
    You may need to look in locals papers in places like New England etc for long term snowbird rentals....I know we have a large page of ads in the fall of rentals for 3 to 6 months in FL...

Florida Expert
    It's going to be in the 30s (f) here in Florida this week. Don't come here for warm winters!
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Still warmer than the uk and th cold fronts dont last long, plus it is still sunny[msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
    It's going to be in the 30s (f) here in Florida this week. Don't come here for warm winters!
    [/quote]

Florida Savvy
    Yes - but the ten day forecast shows it getting warmer again at the weekend!

Just in time for us to arrive next week.....[msncool]

Its not just about the weather - its about having lots of options of things to do and all in your own language (well nearly). Its also about being in a place where your family and friends want to visit and having lots of things for them to do while they are there. Our close family visit us in France but only because they want to see us, they rarely stay longer than a few days and there is little for them to do outside the summer, pool season.

Retirement at 50 is great but it takes a while to find out how you want to live - I am at great believer in that you only regret what you dont try - and not trying Florida would be one of those things I would regret!

Hope that makes sense.

My advice would be do your homework, and make sure your finances are in good order.
    I already have property in Florida I rent out,it is our intentions to do what you hope to do,with careful planning you can achieve your dream.
    I would suggest buy your property as soon as you can, establish yourself get some experience renting out your property in Florida.You need to aim for the premium renting market.Guests who are willing and able to pay for luxury.

If you choose the time you visit carefuly you can still rent out most of the peak dates.
    Take your 6 months from early September through to early March, can then still rent out Easter and all the summer
    At Christmas, rent your home at premium rates, go on a holiday elsewhere in The States your Christmas rent will subsidized your holiday.
    Calculate your outgings then you will know how many weeks you need io rent to pay all your outgoing expenses.
    I not saying it's easy but can be done.
    Barbara

Florida Expert
    what's the pros and cons of going into this with another like minded person to share the bills
    tezz 7628

Florida Savvy
    Tezz

I guess the issue would be how do you split the year?

For me I would want the option of the winter months as I like being on the Isle of Wight in the summer. I guess that would be the same for most retired people. I also wouldnt want to go back and forth more than twice a year so spliting the year into small portions also wouldnt work. I guess sharing with a family that would prefer Easter and the summer holidays would be an option.

What time of year would you prefer?

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by No Shoes
    ?? Why is there no 'subscribe to this topic' on this topic??

What am I doing wrong?
    [/quote]

i've noticed that if your not logged in the subscibe link isn't there and obviously when you're logged in you can also post a reply
    tezz 7628