Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Flying Questions

Florida Newbie

Flying Questions

Im not sure if im in the right place here but anyway...

We're going away on the 13 Sept 2007 and at the moment we are trying for a baby,if in the next few months we get lucky and my other half becomes pregnant how far along can she be inorder to fly ?

Also,if we have a baby before we fly,how old does the baby have to be ?

Thanks.

Administrator
    I'm not sure of the official answer, but each time Carolyn has been pregnant, we have flown up to around 6.5 months, but not beyond. I have a feeling the doctors recommendation may be not to fly after something like 7 months.

Once your baby has been born I dont think there is a lower age limit. We have taken ours with us from the age of 2 months but I've seen children much younger than this, possibly only 2-3 weeks old on flights to Florida. A lot of it will boil down to how your partner feels.

Florida Newbie
    Thankyou very much.

I would second what Roger has said, anything after around 6.5 to 7 months (that would be coming home) would require a doctors permission and the airline to agree to carry you. Again if a doctor is happy for mum and baby to travel, I don't think there are any restrictions, other than getting the baby a passport.
    Shirley

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't know if this is the case with everyone but my Doctor wouldn't let me fly under 12 weeks pregnant. Something to do with cabin pressure she said. We had to canel our holiday one year due to this.

Good luck with everything Benny
    Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

I'm sure things are still the same, it was always ok up to 28 weeks, then after that a doctor's certificate required - obviously this is if there has been no problems up to the 28 weeks[msnsmile]
    Dawn Murray

Can I fly while pregnant?

Most airlines have strict rules about not carrying women who are more than 36 weeks (around eight months) pregnant.

Check your airline's policy on pregnancy - some will not carry women who are 28 weeks (around six and a half months) pregnant.

British Airways report that out of 40 million passengers flying in 2000, only one birth was delivered on board.

But as Dr Charlie Easmon points out: 'Air crews are not trained midwives and there is no Special Care Baby Unit in the air.'

If you intend to travel, read the small print on your travel insurance. Some insurers will not cover pregnant women who are within eight to ten weeks of delivery. Others will not cover pregnant women at all.

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists advise taking out an additional premium for pregnancy, especially if you are going somewhere remote.

They suggest ensuring that your insurance covers MEDEVAC - this scheme means you can be transported out of an area in an emergency.

I flew out to Florida when I was 31 weeks and back when I was 34 weeks with Virgin and BA used to be the same[msnwink] That was with a letter from GP[msnwink]

Miscarriage is more common up to 12 weeks and I have first hand experience of this too as I lost a baby when I was flying as crew ( although my GP said I would have lost it anyway, ironically we were allowed to fly until the 12 week mark.[msnsad]

I have also taken my babies on an aircraft as young as two weeks old, my son had been to New York and Florida by the time he was 11 weeks old[msnwink]

Happy Flying[msnwink]

Florida Chatterbox
    I think it is advisable not to fly in the first 12 weeks long haul due to the cabin pressure or something. I was due to go to Mauritius when pregnant with my first with work and had to cancel. GP said there is no real evidence of a problem but it is not a risk worth taking.

Looks like you are going to have to plan it like a military operation!!!!!! Good luck!
    Lx