Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Licenses

Florida Newbie

Gun Licenses

Hello,

Ive been asked by my friend to ask this question. He has a UK shotgun license and is wondering if it covers him to use one in Florida? We are thinking of going to a shooting range over there. Also, if he was to buy a shotgun in Florida, would he be allowed to bring it home, dismantled of course?

Thanks for your time

Florida Expert
    my guess is you will probably have to prove residency and have to wait for this to be checked before purchase
    tezz 7628

Gold 5 Star Member
    According to Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services Licensing Division.

Eligibility Requirements

o You must be a citizen of the United States OR you must be deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly INS).

If you are not a citizen of the United States, you must submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien who has resided in your state of residence for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted. Evidence of proof includes, but is not limited to:
    + Utility bills; telephone, power, or cable
    + Pay stubs or other documentation from your employer
    + Credit card statement
    o You must be 21 years of age or older.
    o You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

o The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.
    o A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).
    o Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.
    o A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.
    o A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.
    o A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
    o Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.
    o Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
    o Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
    o Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
    o Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
    o A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
    o Being a fugitive from justice.

blott

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jock
    Hello,

Ive been asked by my friend to ask this question. He has a UK shotgun license and is wondering if it covers him to use one in Florida? We are thinking of going to a shooting range over there. Also, if he was to buy a shotgun in Florida, would he be allowed to bring it home, dismantled of course?

Thanks for your time
    [/quote]
    Hi Jock,
    With regards to the going to a shooting range, you only need ID to be able to shoot on a range. I have a shotgun Licence, but never take it with me. I have shot several times on ranges (Handguns) and all they have ever wanted from me was my UK driving licence. I have seen someone using a shotgun on a range, but i can't really see the fun in that, its too confined.
    With regard to bringing home a shotgun, first you will have to go through the list that Blott has posted, and then there will be the hassle of finding an airline that will carry firearms, not all will (even if dismantled), then of course you would have to pay import tax and duty. My guess is forget it, too much hassle for not enough saving.
    Neil & Kay

Florida Expert
    is there not some delay between buying it and actually having possession for checks to take place etc ?

off topic!!!!!!

interesting isn't it

be a good boy for three years you can have a gun to go bang! bang! with

need to know what you did e.g. thirty years ago for them to approve visa application
    tezz 7628

Florida Expert
    Plymouth, Devon UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, Fl
    We have been to the 'Shoot Straight' shooting range a few times in Florida and they charge you $30 for a months membership before they let you loose with the guns!!
    Tricia

Florida Expert
    Hi Tricia
    Do you have an address for "shoot Straight" ? we usually go to Universal weapons but would welcome a change.
    Nic.

Florida Expert
    Plymouth, Devon UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, Fl
    Hi Nic, here are their details, they also have a website, I am not allowed to post it on here but if you do a search on google I am sure you will find it. After leaving the Shooting Range if you continue on for about 20mins you will come to Mt. Dora, which is a lovely quaint town with lots of craft type shops to look around and have some lunch.

1349 S. Orange Blossom Trail
    Apopka, FL 32703

Phone: 407-889-0842

Hours
    Monday - Saturday
    10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
    Sunday
    11:00AM to 7:00PM
    Tricia

Florida Expert
    Thanks Tricia
    Will put this in the organiser for our next trip in Feb
    Nic

Florida Savvy
    Blotts list is for obtaining a carry permit ....and has nothing to do with buying or owning a gun

No state permit is required to possess or purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun (Legal residency is required)

There is a 3 or 5 day waiting period after purchase
    if you have no carry permit ..

Your name will go thru NCIC before delivery

State law generally forbids police from keeping any record of gun sales. Police must destroy records on gun sales witin 48 hours and are prohibited from maintaining gun sale records that could be used for gun tracing and criminal investigations