Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Five year aniversary

Five year aniversary

Its almost 5 years since that fateful day and I have been watching a programme on channel four and its like it was yesterday.

I visited ground zero in April this year and the sadness still prevails. It was my first visit since the Towers fell and I had been up them so many many times during my Concorde years, they were my favourite part of New York City.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who lost loved ones that day[grouphug]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I am so cross with myself,I missed it Julie My husband mentioned it was on, when it was close to the end[msnsad]. I do hope to get a chance to see the program again. That was an event that really affected me, and as I have never been, nor did I know anyone personally who was envolved. I will never forget those images transmitted round the world. I do hope true justice is served one day.

Florida Expert
    i have been out with the lads each year since to run the new york marathon in november.
    my first year was 2001 and i didnt run that year. there was still a dust cloud over the area looking from the empire state and on the sunday when the race was on i walked all the way down 5th avenue and eventually ended up at ground zero.
    it was so moving and unnerving it smelt and was damp and dusty and had a coldness about it. they were still working behind the hoardings.
    tourists, and i suppose i was one of them were everywhere some just stood others were climbing lamp posts to take pictures, the railings were full of pictures flowers and memento s.
    i had my sun glasses on and i just stood there and cried. very powerful.
    not just because of that and maybe its a getting older and having kids thing but everytime there i some tragedy i fleet myself into the what if it was our family member thing. i m sure lots of people do and its horrible. god bless them
    Trev

we all have that memory. I can't believe it is 5 years! I was in the BA club lounge at Gatwick when I heard the first tower had been struck...we then heard the second tower had been struck and went to watch it on the tv in the first class lounge, knowing nothing would be the same again
    Shirley

I managed there earlier this year and it was very moving. I was with a friend, who is also a business colleague, and he is not as pro-American as our family is. He was interested in seeing the site, but I don't think it had quite the same effect on him as myself.

I remember one of my first "adult" trips to America my girlfriend then (now my wife) and I were over doing Camp America (she had done it twice before) and we ended up in NYC at the end of our travels post-camp. By that time we were frazzled after a beautiful and intense Summer and compared to other buildings in New York the twin towers seemed rather industrial. I remember going down into them - they dominated the streets and my memory of their ground floor is of a very busy and a slightly depressing building.

The next time we were in New York after 9/11 we were transitting through JFK (I think) and we looked over to the Manhattan skyline and it just seemed weird without the twin towers there.

Considering the size of area of prime real estate that ground zero occupies, the sense of quiet at the site is overwhelming.

May God bless those who died and those who were affected by this.

There is a programme on Channel 4 this week, Thursday I believe about 9/11. I think it is called the Miracle of Stairwell B and the story of those that survived. Should be moving.
    God Bless all those who died and their families who remember them. My our thoughts and prayers never forget.
    Karen Scott

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have just got back this morning from a 4 day break in New York.

Ground Zero was a very moving experience. Whilst everywhere else we visited had a very vibrant atmosphere, Ground Zero was silent - even the taxis that hoot their horns constantly everwhere else in NY were respectfully silent. I looked around at the faces of the people there - all ages - just shock and disbelief. It is something that will stay with me for ever.

Carole

Florida Chatterbox
    Its funny because my little girl turned 5 today and I will never forget sitting down to feed my new born baby and turning on the TV to watch what I though was just a TV program then realising in horror it was the news.
    Her birthday always makes me think of that.
    L

I can remember it so clearly. Had lunch watching the News, left TV on while I glanced through the newspaper and suddenly became aware of what was on the screen. Like Millie I thought it was a TV film/play. I felt as if I was in a dream - this could not be happening. We had been to New York and have photographs standing on top of one of the towers. Husband was working away from home at the time, son and daughter were working and living in London but I needed to speak to them. Daughter had been on the phone to an office in the twin towers shortly before the first plane hit and had heard shouts and screams before the line went dead. I watched the news in disbelief as it unfolded thinking of all those people who knew their loved ones were in the buildings.
    Two years ago we went to visit Ground Zero and as Carole said it was completely silent and a very moving experience.
    Our thoughts will be with all the families who lost loved ones in the towers and planes on 9/11.
    Maureen Green

I can remember that day as if it was yesterday, I heard the news on the radio whilst at work, thought I had misheard the announcement.was such a shock
    We have been to New York twice in the last 5 years visited Ground Zero on both occasions,each time I have walked away in tears My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones,in fact everyone who witnessed this appalling tragedy, the scars will never completely heal.
    Barbara