Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proving your age

Florida Expert

Proving your age

Myself and three other 40 pluses went to City Walk with our teenage children - 16, 17, 19 and 20. We went into the Motown bar as a lot of the other places were closed off for private functions we went down like a lead balloon with both hubbies. My friend went to get 4 beers for us adults, the kids already had their sodas, and she was told under no circumstances would she be able to get 4 beers - she would only be able to buy one and to do that she had to show her passport.

Now I don't know about you, but we never take our passports out anywhere with us, so this was a non starter. A British driving licence with the age and photo on weren't good enough, we were told passports or no drinks. Needless to say that was the first and last time we tried City Walk. Any one else had the same problem?

Jacqui

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/73.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Unfortunately No-not at 40+-but our 25 year old daughter gets it all of the time.

You think they would draw the line between commonsense and nonsense-unless you all looked like teenagers again

Orlandobabe

Florida Expert
    Oh to look like a teenager again, but unfortunately we all look our ages, wrinkles and all! As you said common sense should be good enough.

Jacqui

You know, its really frustrating, Pleasure Island is just as bad, just in January I had to go back to the villa to get my passport.

Who wants to risk losing a passport by carrying it around on holiday!

The worst thing is, I should know better after visiting Florida for 15 years but I was fuming at the time.

Especially when they admit they realise your old enough to drink but its all boils down to the "jobs worth" mentality.

In fact before I go to the states next, I'm going ot make sure I've got one of those new UK driving licences with the photo on (just like the USA).

Gold 5 Star Member
    We were fortunate enough to get our Florida ID cards before the regs. changed so at least we'll be ok for the next 4 years, unless they recall them. As for the wrinkles Jacqui, having watched facelifts from hell last night they are staying!!

steph

Florida Expert
    We always carry our passports because we've been caught out like this before. Really I'm more worried about losing my Disney tickets than my passport - as long as I can get in the parks I'm OK. LOL.

Florida Expert
    Steph,

I watched that too and my wrinkles are staying also. Mind you I'd never contemplate having it done anyway, I'm 'too posbie with me wonga'!!! I've now got an ID card so I'll try that next time. Must admit I hadn't thought of it myself.

Jacqui

Florida Newbie
    its quite pathetic really how stupidly strick they are, and someone said to me that its probably the reason they have such a big drugs problem in america, they cant have a drink so they go and get off their heads in another way, i bet the drug dealers dont ask for photo i.d

Florida Savvy
    This happened to me at the weekend when me, my sis and friend went to C.W. for the night. We were refused drinks. I'm 36 for god sake!!! I mean seriously, different if you were 22 and looked 16, but 36?! I think it's really very silly and we left the Motown bar and hit The Groove where we got served no problem. You can't risk taking out your passport incase your bag gets nicked..and then what?!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Yes, I see what you mean. I have also found this business of asking for an ID for people who are obviously adult very annoying. Some ladies (my 39 year-old sis-in-law for one) might find it flattering but at the end of the day (or beginning of the night[)]) it is a bit tiresome to have to remember to take the ID every time we go out.
    Nostromo