Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eating Out on the Gulf Coast

Florida Junior
    Hi atush,

You will have to try a few of these other 'fine' places-

1. Daniel's Steak & Seafood on Cape Haze Drive, grest for a short ride home if you had a few.
    2. Palmetto Grill on Placida Road, near Cape Haze Drive.
    3. Farlow's is a 'definite'.
    4. Zydeco on Placida, New Orleans style food.
    5. Nicola's on Rte. 776, Italian food.
    GulfCoveFL

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    we were in Naples a few weeks ago and ate at the Melting Pot which is a fondue restaurant. it was a unique experience and as we always do we overordered.
    we were seated in an intimate booth with a halogen hot plate in the corner-our server advised us on the courses but we started with a regular cheese fondue-prepared in front of us and dipped with a selection of breads and raw veg -celery etc. The main course was a unique experience for me-after advice the server brought a pan of corn oil and started it heating-he then brought raw tuna,steak,chicken,shrimp,teryaki steak, various cold dips, raw potatoes,cauliflower,mushrooms et al-and we cooked it ourselves in the oil-after that we had a simple chocolate fondue with marshmallow,fruit,brownies, etc.--I could barely move but i enjoyed every minute of it.
    we said that when we go back we will probably just have the cheese and choc!!
    Try it if you get a chance it is on the 41 out of Naples on your right in what i think is a newish complex.

Florida Savvy
    Gulf Cove,

thanks for the recs. Daniels and Zydeco had been recd to me before. What type of food is the Palmetto Grille?

A

Florida Junior
    Shells Seafood which is somewhere around Indian Rocks beach is excellent. Been twice and impressed both times.[msncool]

Florida Junior
    Hi Atush,

Sorry for the delay in replying right away, it's been a busy season for us and did not check back with this site.
    Palmetto Grille is a posh place which I believe the owner has a place on Boca as well. The food is steaks and seafood and are custom made creation dishes which means it is not your usual fried, blackened, grilled, or saute' type prepreation.
    I would stay away from the Argentinean Gaucho Steak, it is a flank steak that was a bit tough for me or quite possibily the chef left it on the grill a little too long. I have had flank steaks at Mexican places which is Carne Asada and was very tender. The owner was nice and credited me for another meal. The others in my group did very well.

We have been to Sarasota at the beginning of the month and Colombia's on the St Armands Circle was good for a lunch. With the wide open windows or you may sit outside it was good to sit and watch all the shopper's or is it mainly "looker's" go by.

On Dearborn Street in the 'heart' of Englewood a new place has opened in the purple building called Zigamazoo. It is a good lunch place or just enjoy a fine bottle of wine. I had a nice talk with the owner and he is 'feeling out' his menu for the area and what guests would like to have.

We continue to search out and 'test' other places that we may have not been before. Sorry to say there are a few that are on the 'do not go back to' list. I do not list these for proper reasons.

I dont consider myself an expert but I do like a good meal at a good price and often try to meet with the owners.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by atush
    Gulf Cove,

thanks for the recs. Daniels and Zydeco had been recd to me before. What type of food is the Palmetto Grille?

A
    [/quote]
    GulfCoveFL

We went to Sharkys last week and has a fabulous meal while enjoying the sunset. Also went to South Beach Grill at Boca Grande at lunchtime and thought it was very good value.
    Jill and Brian

Florida Savvy
    Thanks gulf and thornton.

I'll add any tha I go to in July when I'm there. I'll be with my 17 yr old, so will be eating in the more casual lower end places probably. Will do the upmarket stuff in October when it is less hot, and husband is with me.

Florida Junior
    Okay- places for teens:

End Zone (Englewood)- Great place with more than 50 TV's for sports. Try the Philly cheese steak- it is as close as you can get to a 'real' one from Philadelphia.

There are also some new ones near the Port Charlotte mall-
    Joe Cracker Sport Grille & Tijuana Flats.

Denny's is good for breakfast. If you have a son then it's the mega-meal for him.

C C's- all you care to eat pizza for I think $5 or 6

Food is Love Eatery- good for lunch.

Hooter's- only if you have a son.

Lock & Key is near Englewood beach.

Mel's Diner

Prime Time

Plus many of the usual Fast Food places.

GulfCoveFL

Florida Newbie
    Just had another wonderful evening at Daniel's Steak & Seafood!
    I invited along a couple of our clients and they thought it was
    best for food (taste & presentation) and wait staff.
    They offer South African wines and a unique list of martinis.

We also went down to the Mango-Mania festival near Pine Island.
    It was great!

Gold 5 Star Member
    For sunday breakfast the Egg & I is great too, cash/cheque only, situated in Grove City between Lemon Bay Golf Club & Merchants Crossing.

We too on last trip were very disappointed with Leverock's it changed hands last year & although the food was excellent the service & staff attitude, left alot to be desired.

The Columbia Restaurant in Armanyd Circle, Sarasota is wonderful can thoroughly recommend the signature salad & the Black Bean cakes.

Lynne