Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heathrow hand baggage - restrictions from July 5th

heathrow hand baggage - restrictions from July 5th

I saw an article in a newspaper this morning about new rules restricting the size of hand baggage to be taken on planes. A previous discussion had mentioned this was British Airways, but i have found an online article with more details that this is not only BA, but it being phased in by BAA at Heathrow for ALL flights. (No mention of other airports yet). The restriction is in order to stop some of the 'large' hand baggage that is currently taken on planes.

<blockquote id=&#39;quote&#39; class=&#39;ffs&#39;>quote:Bags will have to be no more than 56cm (22in) long, 45cm (18in) wide and 25cm (10in) deep to be allowed as hand luggage.</blockquote id=&#39;quote&#39;>

I&#39;m assuming this is the long standing size restriction, but will be strictly enforced.

So one and all, no more sinks to be taken on the plane please.[msntongue]
    Wilf & Sarah

Florida Chatterbox
    I am amazed at the amount of hand luggage some people carry on board -
    on a different note on my first holiday on arriving back waiting for the luggage out popped two huge (and i mean huge!) shamus oh and a swimming pool in a box.
    Ali

perhaps we could do a survey on whats the wierdest item you've ever taken on a plane?

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I'm assuming this is the long standing size restriction, but will be strictly enforced.
    [/quote]

Actually this is a big relaxation of BA's rules and they now allow bigger/heavier carry-on luggage than previously - their previous rule had a pathetic weight limit of 6kg.

Their new rule states:

One standard-sized bag (max 22in x 18in x 10in) and one briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent.
    - No weight limit, but passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.
    - The briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

These changes will also bring our policies into line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations and the requirements of the UK’s main airport operator BAA.

BA have a partnership with several other airlines(Quantas, AA, Iberia Cathy Pacific etc) who all allowed 'standard' carry on luggage and there were frequent complaints from their long haul passengers that BA restricted their carry-on luggage for onward flights.

Now they are all at least singing from the same hymn sheet.

I had a woman arrive at the aircraft door once with 2 black bin bags full and she was carrying a 20 inch TV!!!!!! Needless to say I took the lot and put it in the hold[msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I'm assuming this is the long standing size restriction, but will be strictly enforced.
    [/quote]

Actually this is a big relaxation of BA's rules and they now allow bigger/heavier carry-on luggage than previously - their previous rule had a pathetic weight limit of 6kg.

Their new rule states:

One standard-sized bag (max 22in x 18in x 10in) and one briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent.
    - No weight limit, but passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.
    - The briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

These changes will also bring our policies into line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations and the requirements of the UK’s main airport operator BAA.

BA have a partnership with several other airlines(Quantas, AA, Iberia Cathy Pacific etc) who all allowed 'standard' carry on luggage and there were frequent complaints from their long haul passengers that BA restricted their carry-on luggage for onward flights.

Now they are all at least singing from the same hymn sheet.

[/quote]
    The difference is that you will only be allowed the one piece plus a brief case or computer case that will fit under your seat. Anything else including suit carriers we are being told will have to be checked in. Staff are pushing for this to be relaxed for club and first class passengers. This is, we are told, a DoT recommendation, so should apply to all airlines departing the UK. The checked baggage ruling starts Oct 11th.
    As Mach 2 says this will stop some of the odd 'handbaggage' requests. I remember passengers taking car tires as hand baggage on the flights to Lagos in Nigeria!
    Shirley

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I cannot find anywhere on there site that says no weight restriction only the bag size and that you must be able ti lift it up into the overhead locker. As I am flying BA in 3 weeks I would love to know to exact rules.
    Lyn

Just received this email from BA
    ---------------------------------

We're making a few changes to our hand baggage and checked baggage allowances.

The new baggage policy is easy to follow and will reduce airport queues, making your journey quicker and hassle-free. The policy changes include hand, checked and excess baggage allowances and will be phased in over the next five months. I’ve included a quick guide below, and a link to the complete policy if you'd like to read more.

HAND BAGGAGE
    From 5 July 2006, all customers will be able to take one standard-sized bag (maximum size of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm), plus one briefcase, laptop bag or equivalent into the cabin as hand baggage. You must be able to lift your hand baggage into the overhead locker unaided and the briefcase or laptop computer bag or equivalent must fit under the seat in front of you.

CHECKED BAGGAGE
    From 11 October, we will be making changes to the number of bags that you can check in. This will vary according to your class of travel and route. The maximum weight per bag will be reduced to 23kgs to comply with health and safety recommendations.

EXCESS BAGGAGE
    Excess baggage charges will also be standardised from 11 October. A fixed fee, dependent on the journey length, will be charged for each bag in excess of the free checked baggage allowance. In the majority of cases the new charges will be less than those currently levied and a further 20% discount will be available by pre-paying on line at ba.com

----------------------------------------------

Does not mention a weight on Hand Luggage?

Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lyn,
    If there was a weight limit on hand baggage it would say so - it did previously Now the only restriction, apart from size, is that you must be able to lift your hand baggage into the overhead locker unaided and the briefcase or laptop computer bag or equivalent must fit under the seat in front of you.

See

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb

So if you could fill your carry-on with gold bars and had big muscles you will be OK. US customs might be interested though.

Starting the weighttraining as we speak for lifting up the bag![msnsmile][msnsmile]
    Lyn

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
    Starting the weighttraining as we speak for lifting up the bag![msnsmile][msnsmile]
    [/quote]
    Nice one Lyn!! There is definately no weight limit. Not sure if you will have to prove you can lift it at check-in though....Might be quite funny to see all these passengers with their bags above their heads [msnwink]
    Shirley