Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Historic Downtown Kissimmee - waterfront

Gold 5 Star Member
    Julie Recker (appropriate name!) appears to be the Parks & Recreation Department Director on jrec@osceola.org
    blott

Thanks Blott, I have just sent Julie an email [msnsmile2]

We love this area and often recommeded it to guests. Maybe the condos are to go where the factories are at the moment. Lest hope so.

Florida Chatterbox
    We always go there, sometimes my husband fishes, and I will sit and read, it is very relaxing. I feel for the residents, the prospects of all this development and what it could bring with it must be upsetting to say the least. Chloe

Florida Expert
    Thanks Blott, will send an a-mail too. Karen, what did you put in yours? and if she send a reply would you let us know please. Thanks in advance.
    Mary

Florida Expert
    Found this article today at aroundosceola If this is talking about the same waterfront it may not be too bad.

City to move forward on lakefront plan Print E-mail
    29 Sep 2005
    By Brian McBride News-Gazette Staff Writer

The Kissimmee City Commission at a workshop Tuesday agreed to move forward with a proposed lakefront redevelopment plan but only before vowing to set strict project limits.

It was the first time the commission discussed the plan since a Sept. 8 meeting where FaulknerUSA of Austin, Texas, and local developer Bob Snow sat through a public backlash over their design of the lakefront’s overhaul. Snow, who was the developer of the former Church Street Station, and FaulknerUSA had been project competitors before joining forces to propose a project called Kissimmee Landing.

The City Commission agreed to vote on a plan Oct. 18, to set strict plan limits and to move forward slowly once a plan is adopted. There was no venue for the public to speak at the Tuesday workshop.

“I think if we go forward we have to go forward very cautiously,” said City Commissioner Jerry Gemskie. “If we eliminate too much of the park, we can’t go back.”

Preliminary development plans called for two restaurants, a community pavilion, a four-story [edited out - this is a family forums]inium/hotel and a promenade along the Lake Tohopekaliga lakefront. Moreover, there was talk of turning the former Roy Hansel power plant on Ruby Avenue into either a brew pub or urban grocery and adding more green space and park amenities than either both firms presented before.

Commissioners made it very clear that they would shape future plans.

“I want them to listen to what we say we want,” said Commissioner Jeanne VanMeter, referring to developers. “I don’t want a fight.”

And any plan would reflect the voice of residents, said Commissioner Scott Brooks.

“It’s not your plan, it’s not our plan, it’s the people’s plan,” he said.

But Tom Franklin, president of Franklin, Hart & Reid, a Kissimmee civil engineering firm on the development team, said the project had to be beneficial for both sides.

“At some point if it doesn’t make economic sense to either one of us, we call a halt to it,” Franklin said.

There were some features commissioners found appealing. VanMeter said she liked the proposed child’s park, a seafood restaurant and a promenade. And planned residential units downtown were necessary to support the economic enhancements, said Mayor Linda Goodwin-Nichols.

While only two firms initially pitched projects, Gemskie said other developers should be solicited. But his fellow commissioners disagreed.

“They have done their homework,” said Goodwin-Nichols, referring to developers.

The plan is part of the Kissimmee Community Redevelopment Agency’s drive to increase the number of downtown residences and to establish a better connection between the lakefront and Broadway.

The commission also had the option Tuesday of sending the plan back to the CRA for an updated recommendation or rejecting the development team altogether.

Snow said he found the commission’s decision en-couraging.

“I think that everybody wants to see something that is going to be good for the legacy of Kissimmee and the park,” he said.
    Mary

Sundowner, I asked Julie to please let me know what the plans were for the Kissimmee Lakefront Park? I have not had a reply yet, but will post when I do. Well done for finding this other info out. So long as they don't build on the park area it might not be so bad.

The childrens playground is especially good as it has a canopy over it which protects children (and parents!) from the sun. It is a pity not more play areas in Florida have this feature.

Gold 5 Star Member
    That's great news, we must find time to visit this area
    Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

Florida Expert
    We spent time here today, had a great time, ice - cream and went to see the NY train come in

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have been to the Lakefront park and water fountains a few times over the last couple of years; it's a nice change.
    There have always been lots of families having parties and BBQ's at the picnic area especially at the weekend; there is plenty of shade under the trees to sit and set up the BBQ.
    Even the play area has a shade over it so the little ones are safe from the strong sunshine.
    Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

Love the name Blott!!! Had a chuckle when I read that.[msnwink]

Sandra