Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immigration bill before senate

Gold 5 Star Member

Immigration bill before senate

Here is a synopsis of the bill currently before Senate following the presidential address on immigration a few days back. As one who came here legally and at great expense both in buying a business and in legal and filing fees, I cannot express how I and other legal visa holders feel. Having done this the right way, seemingly I would have been better off doing it the wrong way and would have been rewarded for so doing with a green card and citizenship.

Senate bill:

_Allows illegal immigrants who have been in the country five years or more to remain, continue working and eventually become legal permanent residents and citizens after paying fines, back taxes and learning English.

_Requires illegal immigrants in the U.S. between two and five years to go to a point of entry at the border and file an application to return.

_Requires those in the country less than two years to leave.

_Illegal immigrants convicted of a felony or three misdemeanors would be deported no matter how long they have been in the U.S.

_Creates a special guest worker program for an estimated 1.5 million immigrant farm workers, who could also earn legal permanent residency.

_Provides 200,000 new temporary 'guest worker' visas a year.

_Authorizes 370 miles of new triple-layered fencing plus 500 miles of vehicle barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border.

_Authorizes hiring an additional 1,000 Border Patrol agents this year, for a total additional 3,000 agents this year.

_Adds another 14,000 Border Patrol agents by 2011 to the current force of 11,300 agents.

_Authorizes additional detention facilities for apprehended illegal immigrants.

_Requires employers and subcontractors to use an electronic system within 18 months to verify new hires are legal. Increases maximum fines to employers for hiring illegal workers to $20,000 for each worker and imposes jail time for repeat offenders.

_Delays by 17 months, until June 1, 2009, a requirement now in law that Americans re-entering the U.S. after cruises or short visits to Canada and Mexico show a passport or high-tech identification card.
    Julie

Florida Expert
    I share your thoughts on this one Julie [msnmad]
    Ana
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1480.aspx

Florida Expert
    its funny how us limeys in the real west are being jogged into friendship with our european neighbours , but the yanks, they just aint gonna forget santa anna and the alamo....[sporty]
    Trev

Gold 5 Star Member
    The Alamo? They sure aint forgot the Boston Tea Party. As someone who is fighting for the right to have her American educated son stay with her when he turns 21, I have to ask where is the sense of fairness in all this?? I personally cant find any.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    Maybe I should go into politics after all....[msnsmile2][msncool]

Gold 5 Star Member
    My husband doesnt usually post on forums, but was incensed when he heard this and felt compelled to put pen to paper. As you can see, he is p......ed!!

WE have invested at least $200000 in this country, employ at least 5 people, directly and indirectly, have a thriving and growing business, we speak English, conform to all US laws and what is our reward. WE are constantly scrutinized and examined and made to jump through expensive legal hoops merely to get an extension to stay for a few more years. Our children are dumped like so much unwanted rubbish outside territorial waters merely for reaching the age of 21. WE are made to pay full taxes and social security in spite of the fact we are barred from claiming any benefits. WE cannot claim homestead exemption and pay far more property tax than permanent residents. WE have to accept the fact that we will be ejected the minute we cease to work.

On the other hand the illegal immigrant who has been breaking American law and paying no tax for at least 5 years will apparently be punished with a green card. Not for him the prospect of having to pay university fees five times higher like I will for my son. Not for him deportation the minute he gives up work. Medicare, social security scholarships for his kids, sure just apply. Speeding/parking tickets- just tear them up.

When it comes to looking stupid, trying to LEGALLY migrate to the USA on a visa is on a par with “extended warranty, how can I lose!”

Terry
    Julie

Well said. Why don't you fwd. the above to George Bush!!!!!

Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    "Illegal immigrants convicted of a felony or three misdemeanors would be deported no matter how long they have been in the U.S."

So of course they will all be queuing up at the border point to admit to their misdemeanours won't they?

It's something however I've said should be included on Visas issued to anyone who applies for the right to live and work in the UK, any conviction and your visa is cancelled without the police having to apply for deportation to be considered and all the human rights activists who say they will be tortured if they are sent back to an unsafe country should start working with the immigrants when their visa is issued and make it clear to them if they break the law they will be sent back regardless, might be a better incentive to try and respect our countries laws.

Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    Hi Terry,
    I for one feel very strongly about this,I know it will properbly not make the slightest difference but why don,t you get a petition going for all the people who are trying to make it out there,and for all the home owners who would just like to retire to there American home when the time comes,i for one would sign it and i bet a few thousand others would.
    Sheena.
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/40.aspx

Florida Savvy
    Speaking as a family that would love to move to Florida tommorrow we find there whole system unfair considering we are there brothers in arms

Russell
    http://www.villasflorida.com/Villas/863.aspx