Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this true?

Is this true?

I have read the following statements and wondered if anybody could confirm that they are still relevant:
    If you have an American Express Card in the UK you can transfer your credit rating to the USA if you move there
    You should not travel to the USA while your visa application is being processed

many thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    Answer to the first one is yes. having a UK Amex does help in establishing a rating in the US, got to be a long standing Amex though, we got one a few months before moving especially and it didnt do much for us.
    Answer to the second is no, there is no problem at all travelling to the US while you have a visa application pending.
    Julie

Hi Esprit
    Many thanks for the reply - very helpful
    As we are in the very initial stages of looking at immigration we may still look into getting an Amex.
    regards
    Lynn

You would need years of credit history with Amex for it to be of any use.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Toria01
    Hi Esprit
    Many thanks for the reply - very helpful
    As we are in the very initial stages of looking at immigration we may still look into getting an Amex.
    regards
    Lynn
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thats true or a premium Amex card, I know someone who arrived with a Black Amex, apparently that is very high end, and he got an unsecured credit card here almost immediately.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    We got MBNA to give us a card within days....they did a check with our English card.....they are not the same company....we still have our English MBNA cards...they are the only company that still send them over after 6 years....

Amex black is about the highest you can can get, if you qualify they send it via securicor. I was someone in florida who bought a boat with one, $35000 transaction went through without checking up at all.[msncool]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    Thats true or a premium Amex card, I know someone who arrived with a Black Amex, apparently that is very high end, and he got an unsecured credit card here almost immediately.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    A lot of companies have invitation only cards....we throw a lot of the invitations away before knowing what they were....so we only have a Capital one invitation card right now....the interest is 1% after the first $1k which is always interest free....you get free Life Ins...upgrades cars..plane tickets...Car Ins...etc...you get no late payment fees...and no yearly fee...tons of other stuff I can't remember....

Yeah but the amex black is in a league of its own.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    A lot of companies have invitation only cards....we throw a lot of the invitations away before knowing what they were....so we only have a Capital one invitation card right now....the interest is 1% after the first $1k which is always interest free....you get free Life Ins...upgrades cars..plane tickets...Car Ins...etc...you get no late payment fees...and no yearly fee...tons of other stuff I can't remember....
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would expect it to be at $2500 a year...but coming down to Earth..the normal invitation only cards are well worth trying to get...I can buy a new car or moterbike on ours...at 1% interest I call that a good deal...