Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sat nav

I used my TomTom in Apr/May with no problems.
    Keith

From what I read of the 2 sections you are allowed a sat nav that is viewable from the front seat of the car but it should not be attached to the windscreen - although I have to say we've seen loads of people using them in this way.
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    The ruling about attaching items to the windscreen varies from State to state. I was under the impression that in Florida it was not illegal to attach items to the windscreen.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
    From what I read of the 2 sections you are allowed a sat nav that is viewable from the front seat of the car but it should not be attached to the windscreen - although I have to say we've seen loads of people using them in this way.
    [/quote]
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx

I would assume that as a lot of the car rental desks at Orlando and Sanford airports are now offering Sat Nav with window fittings (although not as competitively as OV [msnwink]) that it must be acceptable in the State of Florida.
    Chris & Peter

Here you go, this is from the Florida statute
    316.2952 Windshields; requirements; restrictions.--

(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street with any sign, sunscreening material, product, or covering attached to, or located in or upon, the windshield, except the following:

(a) A certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law.

(b) Sunscreening material along a strip at the top of the windshield, so long as such material is transparent and does not encroach upon the driver's direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards No. 205 as the AS/1 portion of the windshield.

(c) A device, issued by a governmental entity as defined in s. 334.03, or its designee, for the purpose of electronic toll payments.

If you want to read it in full http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...2952#0316.2952
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Newbie
    Seems like I have stirred up a bit of debate !

(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street with any sign, sunscreening material, product, or covering attached to, or located in or upon, the windshield, except the following:

I think that is the correct interpretation - you can attach them to the dashboard but not to the windscreen. That's what we were told on the last day of our holiday after using it all week !

If the car hire companies are handing out ones that fit onto the windscreen then I guess it's not too much of a problem (but I would not like to have to argue the point with one of the Highway Patrol men!).

This is refering to signs, sunscreen covers and signage. Satnavs, lazer dectectors do not come into it. If they did you would not even be able to have a rear view mirror.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by VIvandPhil
    Seems like I have stirred up a bit of debate !

I think that is the correct interpretation - you can attach them to the dashboard but not to the windscreen. That's what we were told on the last day of our holiday after using it all week !

If the car hire companies are handing out ones that fit onto the windscreen then I guess it's not too much of a problem (but I would not like to have to argue the point with one of the Highway Patrol men!).
    [/quote]

Florida Expert
    Sorry, but this is becoming very muddy for me and I'm confused (very easily these days! [msnwink])
    Can I, or can't I attach my NavMan to the windscreen in Florida?

We did at Easter - to be honest didn't give it a second thought. I've seen others with them on the windscreen but then they might be ignorant Brits like me! [msnembarrased]

Many thanks!

Florida Newbie
    For anyone thinking of getting Sat Nav do yourself a favour and get a PDA. I bought a Dell Axim X51, 2 GB Sd card and a bluetooth receiver for the same money a standalone would have cost. However I now have a top of the range PDA which will do all kinds of things as well as keep me entertained in the airport with Wifi and MP3/movies.

Maps and software can easily be found on the web [msnwink]

Only thing is you'll need to be a bit Techy to set everything up but it was easy enough.

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have used ours several times in Florida now without any problem.
    Car rental companies and this site also rent them out so i am sure that if there was problem then we would have heard about it before now.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx