Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: retiring

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
    We on the forum can all give you this and that advice, but truly, you need official advice from the horse's mouth so to speak.[/quote]
    I would tend to disagree with that statement, The Consulate are not there to give you advice, They can give you information. period.
    There are certainly not there to tell you your rights nor are they legally obliged to ... Get advice from a qualified lawyer.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The Consulate are not there to give you advice[/quote]

I go along with that statement. Although to be fair to Sandra she could have meant 'advice' in a different context i.e. advice obtained from reading the regulations.

Look at the many posts on this and other forums about the Visa Waiver Program. Any request for advice, in writing or on the phone, gets a standard response - "read the regulations and if in any doubt apply for a Visa."

The difficulty with applications for any type of Visa is that they depend upon the discretion of the officials, waiting lists, and above all the current policy of the Immigration authorities. The fact that Mr X got a visa by buying a business is no guarantee that Mr Y will get a Visa even if he buys an identical business.

Even lawyers claims should be treated with caution. Anyone know a lawyer who operates on a 'no win - no fee' basis? or 'no visa - no fee' in this case!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by derek gibson
    we are waiting for a investors visa .e2 i think we are buying a business ,it has just been filed with immigration
    [/quote]

I thought when you said jobs....that you were waiting for an H1B....
    On an E2 you could have gone halfs with the visa and gone together...

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray9
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
    We on the forum can all give you this and that advice, but truly, you need official advice from the horse's mouth so to speak.[/quote]
    I would tend to disagree with that statement, The Consulate are not there to give you advice, They can give you information. period.
    There are certainly not there to tell you your rights nor are they legally obliged to ... Get advice from a qualified lawyer.
    [/quote]

I dont think SDG is saying what you read into it!

There is a lot of advice on the forum but a lot of it is opinions and maybe not necessary 100% correct all of the time. I think they are just saying check the facts on the website as a start point.
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member
    Some of it on this section of the site is opinion but a lot of it is informed opinion, there are few of us who post on this section and at at least four of us are already came through the immigration process and are Florida residents. The embassy website tells you some things but wont tell you things like it would have been possible for Derek and his father to have applied for the E2 in both of their names with his wife and mother as dependants as Chrissy suggests. And if you are buying a business on E2 never ever to refer to it as setting up jobs!
    Julie

Thank you Robert and CDV - you saw what I was trying to say which was that we on the forum are not experts, just people trying to help someone.

Ray9
    There are places to get information i.e. the American Embassey, etc. I just used a wrong word 'advice' instead of the word I should have used 'information'. Thank you for pointing it out and I shall have to be extra careful when wording my posts in future!!!

Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    Ray runs a very informed forum for people moving to FL...if anyone would like a link just DM Ray.. Julie..or me and we will send it to you...there you will met people going through many different kinds of visa's right this minute..so a lot of up to date info...after we have been here a year or two the info we can give could be outdated...

I think Sandra hit the nail on the head about doing homework...a lot of people's lifes are being turned upside down right now...so you really have to know that the E2 is a temp visa...and that if you move here on it...you could have to leave the US as early as 2 years later...

Florida Savvy
    Sorry SJD .it was not meant to be criticism...more an observation ..
    more than a few times I have had to produce a copy of the law or rules to the Goverment entities to show them the error of their ways
    Favorite of course here is the Social Security Adminstration..

But of course the rules on all these things change so often its not surprising they fail to keep up ...

Most info they all give out is fairly accurate..its just that they tend to omit an awful lot..

With the exception of the USCIS information line here in the US.. who totally struggle to even get the date right .. but then its run by contractors with a script...

For Robert5988
    "Even lawyers claims should be treated with caution. Anyone know a lawyer who operates on a 'no win - no fee' basis? or 'no visa - no fee' in this case"

Virtually all slip and fall Lawyer's operate on a no win no fee basis
    But your right ..never seen one yet.. no visa , no fee basis

Gold 5 Star Member
    Wouldnt it be lovely, Ray Lesley was 50 percent upon approval when we got ours, not sure if she does that now given the circumstances E2-wise currently!
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Virtually all slip and fall Lawyer's operate on a no win no fee basis
    But your right ..never seen one yet.. no visa , no fee basis[/quote]

'Ambulance Chasing' lawyers abound in the UK and USA.

My point was there are some lawyers who make extravagant claims about their success in obtaining a US Visa for their clients. If they were that confident, they would take on cases on a 'no win - no fee' basis.