Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: The end of an era

The end of an era

It was just announced on the news that Sir Freddie Laker has died. Such as shame. He was such a pioneer to affordable flights to Florida.

So Thanks Freddie, hope that cloud you are now flying on is comfortable [msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    How sad, I expect he is in first class though.[msnsmile]
    Sarah

Yes, saw it in the newspaper this morning.

Karen
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2185.aspx

I remenber Freddie I admired and respected that man so much
    Barbara

Gold 5 Star Member
    Yes - at the time Freddie was a pioneer - now we take cheap travel for granted. We have a lot to thank him for.
    Carole

I have met Sir Freddie a few times, once on a Concorde flight which BA gave him free and he was a also regular on Jersey flights.

I also met his son on a flight to Fort Lauderdale in 1997 when he tried to get the airline business going again, which fail after a few months or a year I think.

Flew with a lot of ex Laker crew too.

He was a larger-than-life figure with a wicked sense of humour, and was also a Florida resident.

Very sad, may he rest in peace[grouphug]

wrpac00
    They did a bit on Radio2 about him on Friday between 12:00 - 14:00 saying how he transformed air travel.

Florida Expert
    Very sad to see that.

Our very first trip to Florida in 1980 was from Manchester on Freddie Lakers Skytrain. We had been looking at Spain or Majorca or N.Africa and spotted his deal to Florida (for £232 per person
    14 nights staying at a motel in Miami! - what a bargain!) We arranged a side trip to Orlando for a couple of days (only Magic Kingdom open then - Epcot was just being built) and that got us totally hooked on Florida.
    Had it not been for Freddie Laker we probably would never have got to the USA and would have missed all the fun! [msnsmile2]
    Freddie will be sadly missed.
    Kevin

Florida Expert
    We owe people like Freddie Laker a big debt of gratitude , he made longhaul travel accessable to the ordinary people , may he rest in peace.
    Olive

Florida Expert
    Sounds like the exact deal we got in 1980 ! We also did a side trip to Orlando. There was nothing on 192 in those days we stayed in a motel called the Save Inn which was right up towards St Cloud.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
    Very sad to see that.

Our very first trip to Florida in 1980 was from Manchester on Freddie Lakers Skytrain. We had been looking at Spain or Majorca or N.Africa and spotted his deal to Florida (for £232 per person
    14 nights staying at a motel in Miami! - what a bargain!) We arranged a side trip to Orlando for a couple of days (only Magic Kingdom open then - Epcot was just being built) and that got us totally hooked on Florida.
    Had it not been for Freddie Laker we probably would never have got to the USA and would have missed all the fun! [msnsmile2]
    Freddie will be sadly missed.
    [/quote]