Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virgin credit card

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
    We qualified for a free companion ticket but saved a lot more money by using our points for two free adult fares as the cost of the full price ticket plus the tax on the companion ticket was quite expensive for next July. The free companion ticket lasts for a year so we may try and use it when we book our tickets for early December 2006.
    [/quote]

I dont understand this. I have a frequent flyer account with virgin and also a virgin credit card. My points from the card just go onto my flyer account and add on to the flight points. So long as you collect more miles within 3 years they never expire so you can buy the companion ticket at any time that your points havent expired. If you buy a companion ticket you do have to pay for the original flight and the taxes for the companion (currently £103 from Gatwick - I've just bought my ticket for next year!) but the advantage is you then gain miles for the paid for flight at a higher rate than normal so with a flight to Orlando and back you've saved nearly half again what you need for the next companion flight!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I am new to this Chris so forgive me if I have got it wrong. I was told that the companion ticket would stay on my account for a year then disappear (but presumably if I spent over the £15,000 again a new one would appear?).

To get a companion ticket paying the taxes only (£120.90) for next July I had to buy an adult ticket which cost £880.90. Instead I used 80,000 miles to get 2 free adult tickts and just paid 2 x taxes. I can understand what you are saying about gaining points on the full priced ticket, but I saved £760 in the short term and this is what the man at Virgin said gave me better value.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris

I dont understand this. I have a frequent flyer account with virgin and also a virgin credit card. My points from the card just go onto my flyer account and add on to the flight points. So long as you collect more miles within 3 years they never expire so you can buy the companion ticket at any time that your points havent expired. If you buy a companion ticket you do have to pay for the original flight and the taxes for the companion (currently £103 from Gatwick - I've just bought my ticket for next year!) but the advantage is you then gain miles for the paid for flight at a higher rate than normal so with a flight to Orlando and back you've saved nearly half again what you need for the next companion flight!
    [/quote]
    Ruth

wrpac00
    My understanding is that if you spend £15000 in one year not only do you get your 15000 or 30000 miles on FF account they give you a companion tkt that has to be used within 12 months as well.

I agree with you Ruth the savings to be made on the flights are the best value in my opinion. As I have said on other related posts for next July/Aug we got 2 Premium Economy seats for about £1350 using 30000 miles.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:To get a companion ticket paying the taxes only (£120.90) for next July [/quote]

Presumably the £120.90 includes a fuel surcharge?? I normally pay £60-70 for Coach and approx £90 for Business/First.

Florida Savvy
    Does the cost of a full adult fare plus taxes for companion flight, still work out cheaper then 2 adult fares from this site's Charter Travel?
    Ian

I know the miles plus money option is cheaper than Charter for 2 economy next May.
    andrew
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by IanW
    Does the cost of a full adult fare plus taxes for companion flight, still work out cheaper then 2 adult fares from this site's Charter Travel?
    Ian
    [/quote]
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

wrpac00
    Ian as I said above using 30000 airmiles I have got 2 seats in Virgin PE for £675 each (that's what it works out to anyway. The price for an economy ticket is £800.60, I don't think Charter Travel could get it for much less than that so the answer to your question is Yes it is cheaper with the companion fare.

Florida Expert
    Same here, Charter were going to charge £800 per ticket so £1000 for the 2 tickets ie one adult and one companion plus taxes, does work out cheaper!

I didnt know about the 15000 miles plus a companion ticket which lasts a year but as my credit limit is so small I would struggle to be allowed to spend £15000 in a year!

wrpac00
    Chris, it works out to be an average of £1250 per month.

Florida Chatterbox
    Just lately £1250 is easy !! and Christmas is getting nearer.

I keep my Virgin card as a standby but after reading through this thread perhaps I will store the other card and use the Virgin one instead. We mised out on the Bonus miles when we applied 18 months ago.
    Elly