Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchase of electricals in US

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Apple have the minimum price fixed for all their products in both the US and UK so you will not see much (if any) difference on Apple products no matter where you buy them as all retailers (including Apple direct) sell at the minimum price.

Having said that, with the current exchange rate, the fixed lowest prices in the US are cheaper than the corresponding ones in the UK [msnwink].

Do be careful about customs allowances as mentioned above. It's against the law to not declare things and I (as owner of these forums) cannot be seen to be advising anyone to do this.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dawn
    I heard the best place to buy Ipods was at Dixons duty free at the airport - I am sure I will be corrected, but we found there was not a lot of price difference in the USA
    [/quote]

Like John says you can buy whatever you like so long as you declare to customs on your return[msnsmile2]

Florida Junior
    Thank you all for your advice.

5 days to go

[clap][clap][clap][clap]

Enjoy, is good to know you will be saving a few quid by buying in the US.
    Dominic & Melanie Graham

Whilst not a qualified electrician it is my understanding that any US 110v electrical device can be operated safely from our UK 240v mains by purchasing a 'step down transformer'. This, as the name suggests, converts our UK voltage down to the US 110v, and these can be purchased readily over the internet. Depending upon the 'wattage' of the appliance you intend to import to the UK, this will determine the size of step down transformer required.
    As a guide, we bought our son a Nintendo DS in January - ordered a step down transformer for £10, and he's not been off it since - or so it seems!
    Hope this helps.
    Andrew
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1111.aspx

Many items these days have a duel voltage transformer, it will usually say on the box, if not ask the assistant to get it out the box, so you can check it out. It will say on the transformer. My son has a video camera and Ipod that are fine. We just got a US to UK adapter plug from Boots at the airport, although Wal Mart sell multi country adapters too.
    Although I would always say to check the price before you leave home as there is often so little difference now we can buy online in the UK.
    Shirley

Florida Chatterbox
    If you need some advice, visit 'Radio Shack' they will happily make sure you are looking at the right thing. We have several electrical goods from the US and all work with no problems with the adaptor transformer.
    Camilla & Neil

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/2071.aspx
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/2236.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    We have purchased similiar electrical goods in the past and had no problems

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
    my son bought an Ipod in walmart and its an appel ipod i believe and it recharges through the pc, dont get the slim one cos after 2-3 months it stops taking the charge, ( am being told i dont do electrics myself) i bought myself a little dremel set for help with my dolls house projects, have bought an adaptor to use here anyway so fingers crossed!!
    [/quote]

well the stoooooopid adapter isnt working!!!![}]not impressed
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    my son bought an Ipod in walmart and its an appel ipod i believe and it recharges through the pc, dont get the slim one cos after 2-3 months it stops taking the charge, ( am being told i dont do electrics myself) i bought myself a little dremel set for help with my dolls house projects, have bought an adaptor to use here anyway so fingers crossed!!
    [/quote]

well the stoooooopid adapter isnt working!!!![}]not impressed
    [/quote]

If you bought it from Walmart and you have your receipt you can take it back to your local ASDA who will sort it out or refund you.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx