Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: security deposits

Gold 5 Star Member
    It seems unusual that the owners have never been to their own villa!
    Teresa

Florida Newbie
    [msnsad]So sorry to read about the problems getting your security deposit back.It does mar your stay (unfortunately) and makes you a little more leary when this kind of thing happens.
    [msnembarrased]Don't let it deter you from renting from private owners.Most of them are great! Trying really hard to please...
    When I rent now I look for owners that either take a credit card swipe or just use the credit card number you give them to pay for the reservation for Security purposes.Which is fine.Because then you can dispute any charges that are made with the Credit Card Company.
    Certainly a more secure way to go.
    Hope everything works out for you.
    Is it possible the owner is on vacation? Or away and did not even remember to send it back to you?
    Good Luck to you,
    Debbie
    Dee

Gold 5 Star Member
    Any update yet Rebekah?
    Paula

we had to pay when we arrived at the villa we stayed in, not what we were used to, and we were only asked for a credit card imprint and nothing out of it, and when we handed the keys in we were told there and then no money would be taken out

so sorry to hear of your problems hope it gets sorted soon
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sorry to hear about your problems in getting your security deposit back, have you managed to get it back yet rebekah.
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    I am embarassed for all the rest of us owners in The Sanctuary as this person/owner is giving us all a bad name.

I will write personally to the owners to make a point. I know their address while doing some searching regarding our HOA.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    That maybe so but it still would not stop the owner pursuing you for damages in the Small Claims Court if you had damaged their villa and cost them money to put the damage right.

Like anything else, renting a villa requires a bit of give and take on both sides - yes you are leaving a security deposit with an owner but in turn they are trusting you to look after their house worth $300,000+. There is trust on both sides and rightly so.

99.99% of guests treat the homes as if they were their own but unfortunately there are a very small minority that do not and the owner has to have some security that guests who abuse homes can be expected to put their damage right. It's not as if this minority of bad guests are not aware of the reason for the security deposit so they have no excuse.

Guests have a responsibility to look after the villa they stay in or face up to their actions. Suggesting to people ways of trying to avoid this responsibility is not what I would expect from a guest.

I understand you had an issue with the owner you rented and the security deposit which I could not comment on as I am not in receipt of the full facts, but please do not leave others with the impression that keeping a security deposit is a frequent thing or advise them how to try and avoid paying for any damage made to the villa.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DeeDee
    [msnsad]When I rent now I look for owners that either take a credit card swipe or just use the credit card number you give them to pay for the reservation for Security purposes.Which is fine.Because then you can dispute any charges that are made with the Credit Card Company.
    [/quote]

You are so right, John. Renting a villa is quite unique because both the villa owner and the guest must have trust in each other. We all try to make our guests' vacations the very best ever, and we have been very lucky to have had delightful guests who have taken great care of our home - but, sadly, not everyone has been so lucky.

However, I am sure that nobody would expect the villa owner to pick up the tab if guests caused damage to the property during their stay.

Our home is thoroughly checked both before and after our guests arrive. This not only ensures that our home is perfect for our guests arrival but should any damage have occurred then it is obvious when it was done.

I am horrified that someone should actually choose a villa on the basis of the security deposit being taken by credit card, and then enter into a contract with a villa owner to use their beautiful home with the idea that this way they could dispute any charges.
    ellie

Florida Expert
    What this owner has done is wrong and has to be very rare. Owners rely on personal reccomendations as well as repeat bookings, so I don't think anyone should worry about leaving a security deposit however it is paid.
    benfilo

Folks I don't think Deedee was suggesting that she is trying to avoid a legitimate charge.

I believe that she inferred that there are a few methods of owners dealing with security deposits. such as Cash deposits Credit card imprints in advance etc. Deedee prefers to have the owner take a credit card imprint or card number, rather than taking cash in advance, so do I. If you are on a budget, 200 pounds is a lot of money to pay out on top of your holiday cost. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your decision as to which villa to choose being partly based on deposit method, even though I wouldn't myself, it's a matter of choice. If you cause damage then the owner can take the cost from the card, what's the problem? If the renter disagrees with the charge, and we've seen examples of this on the site, then the renter has the security of being able to take the issue up with the credit card company. where's the problem here?

This year, rather than pay a security deposit, the villa hire company insist I take out their damage waiver insurance. It's not expensive and although I thought it rather cheeky at the time, after thinking about it, it's not a bad idea as it gives peace of mind to the owner, renter and MC.

I don't believe anyone looks after rented homes better than me and Beverley, they are usually cleaner when we leave, however accidents do happen, and no-one here objects to paying for damage, but it's rather unfair to criticise an individual for choosing an option that is offered by some owners.