Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: St Augustine

Florida Savvy

St Augustine

We would like to visit St. Augustine on our next trip in December and wondered if one day would be enough. How long a drive is it? Also any tips on things to do there would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Florida Expert
    It is on our list too. Drive to Daytona early and have breakfast there and then drive up the coast to SA.Once there,get on one of their tour buses to see the area thoroughly,you can keep gettong off then drive back cross country

Florida Savvy
    Thanks Heather, how long to you think it will take?

Sue

Florida Expert
    I think you'll probably need to allow around 2 hours, depending on traffic on the I4 through Orlando...

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you start early and get breakfast on the way, you should be there around 11 am and have plenty of time to see the main sights. If you get supper on the way back, you can easily do it in a day.

It's a very interesting place and very much unlike anything else in Florida although America's 'oldest' doesn't quite compete with the UK's 'oldest'. Try the Red Train for a great tour - a get on and get off service from 8.30 am - 5 pm.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    St Augustine is lovely, about a 2 hour drive from Kissimmee and a day is plenty long enough.

Visit the old jail, the oldest house and hop on the old town trolley where you'll be taken on a tour around when you can get off and re-board throught the day - it's a really good day out. Hope you enjoy it.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan
    We would like to visit St. Augustine on our next trip in December and wondered if one day would be enough. How long a drive is it? Also any tips on things to do there would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue
    [/quote]

Florida Savvy
    Thanks for your replies, sounds like a great full day out. Just 95 days to go [clap]

Cheers

Sue

Florida Savvy
    Sue,
    My daughter visited St. Augustine while she was working in Jacksonville this year. She mentioned visiting the oldest church too and although not a religious person, she said it made her very emotional as it was so beautiful. It sounded like an all round very interesting place to go, so it's on our list for next trip.
    Jan.

We visited St Augustine in August and it was really great. Took about 2 hours to get there, but a really easy route. Set off early and spend as much time as you can, there is so much to see and do, and quite a few historical sites, so makes a change from Orlando. There are 2 or 3 different bus/trolley/train tours that take you around the town. The lighthouse is worth a visit as well, great views. Also the beach area is worth a visit.

Have a great time.
    Dianna.
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2061.aspx

Florida Expert
    I used to live in Jacksonville and would visit St Augustine all the time. I'd suggest an overnight stay. Get a room at one of the ocean front hotels on the island.(The City of St Augustine Beach is on Anistasia Island). I used the Holiday Inn which has private ocean view balconys! [msnwink]

You'll love St Augustine. If I didn't work in Orlando that'd be where I'd live.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens