Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly Me! I should know better!

Gold 5 Star Member

Silly Me! I should know better!

Had an issue when organising a 'cot' for a guest recently, the poor girl didn't understand me until we eventually used the word 'crib', it is not like I didn't know that was the US preferred term, I just wasn't thinking, but interesting that us Brits do seem to know more of the US terms than the other way round isn't it?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Its quite amazing how many differences there actually are isn't it Carol.[msnoo][msnsmile2]
    Sarah

I think in the US is a cot is equivalent to a camp bed. I heard recently on the news about the number of "cots" required for the refugees evacuated to Houston.
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
    I think in the US is a cot is equivalent to a camp bed. I heard recently on the news about the number of "cots" required for the refugees evacuated to Houston.
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    [/quote]

Think you are correct Liz, we had a guest ask for if we had a cot and we talked at cross purposes for a while as I thought they mean't for a baby.[msnembarrased][msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Me too - I remember a conversation with a guest, and in the end explained it as one of those fold out play pens that doubles as a bed for baby. She understood exactly what I meant then[msnscared]
    Dawn Murray

I don't know why, but the term "crib" always reminds me of nativity plays [msnsmile2]

Dianna
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2061.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn

....interesting that us Brits do seem to know more of the US terms than the other way round isn't it?
    [/quote]

Maybe it's because you spend a lot of time in the US? Most Americans never leave the country.
    Teresa

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout

....interesting that us Brits do seem to know more of the US terms than the other way round isn't it?
    [/quote]

Maybe it's because you spend a lot of time in the US? Most Americans never leave the country.

[/quote]

Or because you are in this business. I didn't know any of the UK terms before first renting, and then owning a rental home (villa).[msnsmile]
    Denise
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1568.aspx

Florida Expert
    I flip into American pretty easy when I hit Florida.
    Cot becomes Crib, Pushchair becomes Stroller, Queue becomes Line, Bill becomes Check etc....

I also don't use double and triple when quoting numbers as that seems to confuse.
    In the UK I wouldn't think twice before saying triple 9 but in the US I have to force myself to say 9 9 9....

Brizzle.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout

[/quote]

[/quote]

Americans need to get out and visit the rest of the world, you guys are missing so much[msnwink]