Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission Space

Florida Chatterbox
    Many thanks for all of your responses. It's better hearing it from people that have actually been on it rather than any guide books - thanks again and I will definitely be going on [msnwink]

Florida Savvy
    We always feel that the 'notices' are scarier than the ride. Most people seem to like this ride (I do) but if you get motion sickness it's not ideal. As with most rides its actually best to keep your eyes open if you can. Relax and enjoy.
    Maz

Florida Junior
    I didn't think this ride would be much at all, thought it was going to be a straight forward simulator. I someone who will ride anything infact the faster and scarier the better. Mission Space is now one ride that I doubt I will ride ever again. At one point I actually felt like I was going to throw up. I then felt queasy for the rest of the day. Someone in the car next to us did make full use of the provided sickbag.

Florida Expert
    I think it's a personal thing and it does affect people in different ways. My Mum did it once, liked it but wouldn't do it again.
    My 5 year old did it 4 times and wanted to go on it straight away after each time. Luckily Soarin' has mostly taken the queues away from Mission:Space.

For me the warnings are a little OTT but you could be a rider who these warnings are not OTT. I would say try it once but I don't think anyone can guarantee that you will not feel a little dodgy after even though the majority of people are OK.

Pays yer money takes yer chance...

Brizzle.

Gold 5 Star Member ShirleyCottam's Avatar
    I went on it twice, on 2 different days, and I loved it the first time, but the second time it made me feel dizzy afterwards...a bit like I had been in a spin dryer
    [msnwink]
    Shirley

As I have said below, I am really scary where rides are concerned but just can't get enough of this one!

WE ARE GO FOR LAUNCH – MISSION SPACE
    Epcot’s newest attraction is, of course, Mission Space, an amazing simulator ride that really makes you feel as if you are taking off into space. I am not a ‘natural’ where scary rides are concerned, but this one is absolutely unmissable. You will experience some quite intense G-forces, and it can make you nauseous if you don't follow instructions. I can thoroughly recommend it, having been on it 4 times in one day! We were a little put-off at the entrance, as they do a good job of putting the ‘fear of god’ into you. Admittedly, they do get 30 people a day taken ill on this ride, and some even have to go to hospital, but it really wasn’t as scary as I expected. You DO experience G-forces, and the first time I was a little unsteady when I got off – and NO that wasn’t due to any medicinal shots of brandy beforehand!

The building itself is impressive, as is the Planetary Plaza at the attraction’s entrance. Here you will see large spheres symbolising Earth, the moon, Jupiter and Mars. On the plaza’s walls there are quotes from famous figures who epitomise the spirit of space travel. It looks particularly spectacular with the setting sun.

As with all the attractions you take part in an ‘experience’. You become one of a 4 man crew launching themselves into space on a journey to Mars. You are put into a space capsule with 4 people, and each of you is assigned a job – Pilot, Engineer, Navigator, Captain. You will have to perform a task, and steer the craft when, inevitably, things go wrong. As you settle yourself into the ‘capsule’ you know its going to be quite a bumpy ride as restraints comes down over your shoulders. A good tip is to make sure you look out of the porthole in front of you all the time, as this will stop you getting disorientated. As for the ride, well sensational is just one adjective to describe it.

As far as the mechanics of the ride are concerned, it is a simulator, and the capsules are spun at very high speed to generate the G-forces, but you are not aware of the spinning, you just feel its effects. As you sit back in your seat you see the gantry in front of you, then suddenly you experience the launch, shooting up the gantry into blue skies, through clouds and into space. You are pushed back into your seat and then you experience G-forces. I won’t spoil the rest of the fun, but needless to say, something goes wrong, and you must try to control the rocket through Martian canyons, which is thrilling.

Our only criticism is that it’s much too short – we were ready to do the return trip, but that’s when they show you to the door! Strangely enough it was not anything like as busy as Test-Track – which ran out of ‘fast-passes’ at lunchtime, and had queues of over an hour. This did mean that after our first ride we were able to get another fast-pass, and squeeze in 3 more trips to Mars.

Do remember to keep looking out of the window all the time or you could feel very disorientated, and sick. Andrew and I went on it 4 times and enjoyed every minute, despite feeling very nervous the first time. If you do suffer from motion sickness and still want to do the ride, then take a travel sickness tablet before you get on it. Strangely enough it was not as busy as Test Track. We think they do such a good job of scaring people that many give it a miss. If you are brave enough then don’t miss it. It’s like nothing you’ve ever experienced, and it is truly a spectacular experience.

ellie

Gold 5 Star Member
    Good Luck Bridget and i really hope you enjoy the ride

my husband his brother and his children ages 10&7 absolutely loved it

me i was lucky i have a medical excuse for wimping out so i dont even have to pretend to be scared i cant ride it and thats it

let us all know how it goes in your trip report when you've done it and we can give you a big[clap]for being so brave

Mizzy

Florida Newbie
    we went on this ride a few weeks ago, and for me personally it was one of the worst experiences ever, not be dramatic! [msnwink] it was my own fault though. when I pulled down the harnes thing i wasnt sitting up straight, and when the ride began I was, and I realised Ii had pulled it to tight and had trouble breathing,just through panic. unfortuanly though the 'shuttle' i was in broke at the end and we were stuck in it for an extra 10mins which was really uncomfortable. however, my b/f loved it and would go on it over and over again! i wont be going back on!

Florida Savvy
    I love rides, so long as theyr're not spinning ones. And Mission Space is a spinning ride, as it's one of those circular simulators as seen on films like Space Cowboys/007 etc. You can't actually see yourself spinning as you are looking at a computer/tv screen. It's very well done, good build up.
    But I would say if you can't stomach roundabouts/tea cups!/Waltzers or anything that spins give it a miss! I was in a state for over an hour and a half, dizzy, felt sick and couldn't focus properly.
    Give me a rollercoaster any day!

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    I would suggest go on it before your lunch, just in case[msnscared]
    We were fine but my nephew threw up 5 minutes after the ride just
    outside. Staff were brilliant though, must be used to that by now.
    mike