Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coeliac in Florida

Florida Chatterbox

coeliac in Florida

My daughter (10) has just been diagnosed with having Coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) has any one had any experience of how easy it is to eat out and if gluten free food is available in the supermarkets. It looks like the good old American burger will be out not to mention the suitcase of bread and biscuits I will need to take. Oops that's probably illegal! Thanks

Florida Junior
    Hi there. I have coeliac disease myself and have asked alot of advice for our holiday in 14 days. One is the outback steakhouse, and walmart and publix will sell items like bread etc. I have heard if your upfront and declare you have brought sealed items of bread, flour and biscuits to put you over they will be fine. I am sticking to steak and veg and pots etc. Macdonalds chips are fine and just the burgers. If you go to macdonalds before you go look at the back of the menu and they will let you know.

I know it can be a bit of a nightmare but Ive been used to it for over two years now. Hope this help but you will find a few other people responding to this. Oh by the way they can preorder a meal for your daughter on the flight.

bye rebekah

Florida Expert
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1497.aspx
    sharon

Florida Expert
    Follow the threads Blott has pasted in , and also look at the article I wrote to the florida guide.

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/o...uirements.aspx

I am coeliac and have an 11 year old son who is also coeliac. If you have any questions please ask. You will find lots to eat - you just need to know where to go.

No problem taking gluten free supplies in - but you should declare them at customs.

The good old american burger is generally OK they are usually 100% beefbut of course you have to check - just skip the bun. We actually make rolls when we get the the villa and freeze them , and take them with us when we go to a restaurant for a burger.

If you want any more tips for the UK , feel free to DM me. It's quite easy when you know the tricks of the trade.
    Jo

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks to you all for your reply's we are still in the early days of following the diet and starting to realize how difficult it will be for her. Blott - next time I will try and spell Coeliac properly when I do a search and will probably have more luck! Teresa [:I]

Florida Expert
    Americans spell it celiac - just to confuse you , and for those who don't know it's pronounced sealiac!
    Jo

Florida Expert
    My daughter has serious food intolerances and we found Orlando one of the best places for her to eat out in restaurants because the chefs are so very helpful. We simply told the staff what she couldn't eat and the chefs cooked especially for her. We were overwhelmed by the effort that lots of restaurants went to.
    In Magic Kingdom, for example, we booked dinner in one restaurant, only to find that the menu offered nothing that she could eat. The staff brought a chef over from another restaurant in the park and they cooked especially for her. The same happened in Downtown disney at Planet Hollywood, Wolfgang Pucks, Rainforrest Cafe and Fultons Crab House. It was superb.
    Best of luck!
    Jo-Anne

Gold 5 Star Member
    wow Jo-anne that's service indeed.

I ordered a lemon chicken meal in a restaurant in the uk and asked for everything to be served separately but all on one plate-as I didn't want everything to taste of lemon.

Sure enough after waiting an hour and a half-the lemon chicken arrived on a sea of 'lemon' vegetables.

I sent it back and it came back with very little apology-apart from that was the only way they did it-because I was hungry and a friend had paid I ate it-but I was furious.

That just wouldn't happen in Orlando!!!!!
    Orlandobabe

Florida Expert
    It certainly wouldn't.
    We often dread going out to eat in the UK because Evie can never just order from the menu. What a difference in Orlando. At the point of giving out menus the waitress always asked the question about food intolerances. It wasn't just the more upmarket restaurants either. Some of our most relaxed meals were in Cracker Barrel!! Absolutely fab.
    Jo-Anne
    Jo-Anne