Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Dinner

Florida Newbie

Christmas Dinner

Hi,

My family are coming to Orlando for Christmas again this year, last year we had a lovely time but unfortunately couldn,t seem to find somewhere traditional to have our Christmas Dinner or different to the normal diners that we go to. We have two children aged 12 and 14 so it has to be a place that they would enjoy.

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks

Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    There are very few traditional British style dinners to be had on Christmas day in Florida as most places (obviously) tend to have the US variety.

There are plenty of hotels where you can book for a Christmas day meal (as long as you don't expect roast potatoes and brussel sprouts, etc) or alternatively, there are buffet style meals (again not British).

There are a few British style pubs in the area which may be able to provide a British Christmas day meal.

Wherever you decide to go, make sure that you book up early as they get sold out pretty quickly!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thats the one thing we missed when we had a Christmas dinner at a restaurant whilst in Florida, the roast potatoes, just not the same with mash.[msnwink][msnsmile2]
    Sarah

We cook a traditional Christmas dinner at the villa every year..roast potatoes, stuffing, turkey & ham + plum pudding. Followed by a swim in the pool and a glass of champagne - perfect[xmas1]
    Mind you, this is after many years of trying to find the perfect Christmas dinner in Florida.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by carolmc
    We cook a traditional Christmas dinner at the villa every year..roast potatoes, stuffing, turkey & ham + plum pudding. Followed by a swim in the pool and a glass of champagne - perfect[xmas1]
    Mind you, this is after many years of trying to find the perfect Christmas dinner in Florida.
    [/quote]

Yes thats what we do now as well Carol, just got to get to Publix in plenty of time to get the Sprouts.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Florida Expert
    last year we booked gaylord palms the food was excellent but we still missed the traditional UK christmas dinner so next time we would go boxing day, but gaylord palms is very popular so you will have to book by september at the latest.
    Berni Deno and Maya
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1997.aspx

Disney's Wilderness lodge is wonderful for xmas dinner and they do have a turkey roast. Big open fire, ginger bread town and lovely decorations.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sueb
    Hi,

My family are coming to Orlando for Christmas again this year, last year we had a lovely time but unfortunately couldn,t seem to find somewhere traditional to have our Christmas Dinner or different to the normal diners that we go to. We have two children aged 12 and 14 so it has to be a place that they would enjoy.

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks

Sue
    [/quote]

Florida Savvy
    My Christmas dinner last year was the worst ever. Agreed we had a 35lb turkey, however the potatoes were just not the same (I love my traditional roasts), I couldn't make great yorkshires because the flour cooks different, no great gravy, I guess the Brits bought up all the Paxo because we had to turn to cornbread stuffing or something which was foul.....and all in all my dinner looked nothing like a Christmas dinner. Christmas just isn't Christmas in the sun with cornbread stuffing! Thankfully I'd brought my christmas puddings with me in advance.

I think we'll need to look shortly about booking up somewhere for Christmas dinner. Shame some Brit hasn't come over here on an E2 visa to do this sort of thing. I miss our food and would glad pay an arm and a leg for a good old fry up breakfast (with OUR bacon and sausages), and traditional roasts.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Its funny you should say that Rocco but everytime my parents go to Florida they say they are going to open up a restaurant that serves a traditional sunday roast, a fried breakfast, fish and chips and steak & kidney pie.
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rocco
    My Christmas dinner last year was the worst ever. Agreed we had a 35lb turkey, however the potatoes were just not the same (I love my traditional roasts), I couldn't make great yorkshires because the flour cooks different, no great gravy, I guess the Brits bought up all the Paxo because we had to turn to cornbread stuffing or something which was foul.....and all in all my dinner looked nothing like a Christmas dinner. Christmas just isn't Christmas in the sun with cornbread stuffing! Thankfully I'd brought my christmas puddings with me in advance.

I think we'll need to look shortly about booking up somewhere for Christmas dinner. Shame some Brit hasn't come over here on an E2 visa to do this sort of thing. I miss our food and would glad pay an arm and a leg for a good old fry up breakfast (with OUR bacon and sausages), and traditional roasts.
    [/quote]

We do a lot of roast dinners....and have our gravy sent over from the UK....I've not opened my oven door in FL yet.....because I don't like to cook indoor in the hot weather.....I think I'll have to put in an outside cooker......we can get Irish bacon here....and we found sausages that are a lot like the ones back home.....I'll look out the name for you....