Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report Part 1 Getting There, Villa & Driving

Florida Savvy

Trip Report Part 1 Getting There, Villa & Driving

Right deep breath and off we go.....
    22/03/03
    Fly American Airlines - Heathrow to Miami and on to Orlando, chose this route coz it was cheap and avoided the kids on the direct Orlando flights! Flight to Miami was fine if a little long (9.5 hours) food was usual fare (not bad) and the films OK. Miami airport was not particularly user friendly, got to the gate for the connecting flight just in time!! AA advertising about extra legroom in economy is very true, couldn't get a bulkhead seat on the MIA-MCO trip but was not problem, even for me at 6'4'. Arrived at MCO having cleared customs/immigration etc. at MIA so didn't have that hassle. Would not hesitate to fly AA again, excellent all round!! Got to the Alamo car rental desk (now on airport) got car (7 seater) sorted v.quickly no probs (had Alamo Gold option so no hard sell on extra insurance). Found one we liked in the parking lot (kiddie in sweet shop time - which one to pick so many choices) Ended up with Dodge Grand Caravan (identical to Chrysler one we had last time) Quick tip - if there are 7 PEOPLE to seat in a 7 seat people carrier you will NEVER fit everyones luggage in (it was a squeeze with 5 peoples kit!!). Helen (my wife) drove to the villa in Esprit using the directions given by the owner which were spot on!! (1st of many thanks Angela!!). The villa is wonderful (everyone in party v.happy!!) - 2nd thank you Angela. Sun shining, this is just the ticket..
    So far so good........got 5 people plus kit across the Atlantic as scheduled, into correct car and then on to the villa without incident or problem - well one problem by now we are all completely knackered. Quick dip in pool (quite chilly - opted for pool heat when we got there - even us hardy Brits found it a little TOO bracing in April!!)
    I started my US driving (well after quick 'practice spin' around the Esprit estate with a somewhat nervous wife in the passenger seat!!) by taking everyone to the Ponderosa on the 192 (Ponderosa simple no hassle 'Ronseal' food - does exctly what it says on the tin!!) Drove home - don't think any of the party were too scared despite the odd incident!! (Please note that the 'ramp' speed limits are there for a reason - the one joining H27 from the 192 heading south is worthy of note - tight is not the word!! - Angela you might want to warn 1st timers to your villa about that one!! -
    Hear ends part one - the next instalment titled 'The Parks' to come soon........
    HOPE I'M NOT BORING YOU ALREADY!!

Biggus

Sounds great so far Biggus. We flew into Tampa in March and had an Alamo car. I couldn't believe it when they said go and pick your car! They had upgraded us as well, without charging us. So we went to the Full size bay instead of the Economy!! My son and I were like kids in a sweet shop too, after sitting in 4 cars we finally found the one that we wanted!!!! Since there was only the two of us we concentrated on getting one with really comfy front seats.

I think that Alamo have only just started letting customers choose their own car, because last time I was allocated a car in a bay quite some distance from the office, at Orlando.
    Carla

Gold 5 Star Member
    You're right about that exit ramp, it's a lulu and you feel like you're going to disappear up your own exhaust!

You're certainly not boring me Biggus and I can't wait for the next instalment!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member

Love to hear the stories!!!!
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-551.aspx

Florida Expert
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. I'm delighted you liked the villa. We arrived yesterday and it is lovely out here.
    We flew Virgin but your experience of AA is interesting - I would definitely consider giving them ago.
    Can't wait to hear some more.
    Angela

Gold 5 Star Member
    We all love hearing the stories, and it certainly has to be more reassuring for other guests to hear it from renters. No matter what we tell them it is often in the back of their minds "well they would say that because they want us to rent their homes", and so guests will realise you have no hidden agenda.
    Can't wait to hear about the parks as well, then we know which ones have been updated since we went. Is Shrek open yet?
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    Steph,
    Not yet but they had all the hoardings up where it will be (where the Hitchcock thing used to be) and looks very exciting - think that it was listed for a 'Spring 2003 Opening' whatever that means.
    I know what you mean regarding a little reassurance - it is always quite nervy handing over a large sum of cash in advance without immediately getting what you pay for........I know what you guys (owners) say about the trust thing with a very expensive villa, but I would happily no questions asked (well as Angela will testify it is not quite "no questions"!! hehe) rent from villas owners from this site, they seem to be a fountain of knowledge and very genuine people.
    Pt II hopefully later.
    Biggus

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hopefully they'll have managed to open it before we go in October then.
    Biggus so we can let you know what it's like although we may give Disney a miss this time and concentrate on Universal and Sea World to make the most of our passes before they run out at the end of th year, but no doubt someone will let us know - and if the 4th dimension is worth it.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    Blott,
    What do you mean by a Lulu?[?] - does it make you want to "Shout" - I think that there were more screams in the car than shouts - apart from me with a large "Oh ****" - very blue!! when I had to brake rather sharply!! Ooops
    [:I][:I][:0][:0]
    Biggus

Gold 5 Star Member
    Shrek is open in June, Steph and Jimmy Neutron is doing test runs now so will be open shortly.
    Julie