Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walkie-Talkies?

Gold 5 Star Member
    quoteI'm a pilot in my spare time ).
    Sarah, It's about time you sorted John out , he's got a job, a wife, children , however many homes etc....he shouldn't HAVE any spare time, you should have him cleaning windows or something.
    Babblin Boo

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    hehehehe - she aleady does Steph.

I've had to take to flying to meetings in my day job - had a wonderful flight to Ipswich (http://www.poplarhall.co.uk/poplaraviation/index.shtml if anyone is interested) and back on Monday just gone .

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well that's all right John. I must admit that's the one thing I miss from when I used to work, as I worked at Marconi Avionics, the engineers had a scheme where they could get their PPL and of course had to do enough hours a year to keep it current, as we were next door to Rochester airfield as soon as the weather was reasonable they would book a lunchtime flight and we'd quite often go for a spin, usually up over the Thames or somewhere but it was nice to get out of the office for an hour.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Newbie
    Hi all as a newbie i would like to offer my experiences here if i may.

I work in retail and run a large superstore and on many visits to florida have bought a few of these walkie talkies and found no problems in the uk as the police , ambulance and fire depts use 13mhz frequencies and walkie talkies of around £18 from walmart use the 40-44 mhz frequency so in theory there should be no cause for concern and mmust say we have had many visits to our shop from the local constabulary regarding shop lifters and even used them in their company with no effect to them and vice versa.
    I intend to buy a few more as a couple were dropped fro a great hight, made a lovely pattern on the floor though....lol

hope this is of use to you all.

Phew what a relief!! Had visions of the police turning up at the door on christmas day!!!!
    Tink

Gold 5 Star Member
    An update on Walkie Talkies, We bought 2 TR620-2's from Wal Mart and used them during
    our holiday. Back home have checked who I am sharing the air ways with

Here are just a few

Radio Authority
    Army
    Navy
    On Board Ship Phones Channels 5 to 12
    Capital Flying eye
    Dartford Tunnel
    London Eye Control
    Mercury mini pagers
    Marine and Coastal authority

However, mine have a max range of 2 miles and use a very low wat output that even if
    I was standing next to one of the above, it wouldnt/shouldnt cause a problem.

We now use them when the kids go to the park at the back of our house and have had no
    issues.

Chrisj

Gold 5 Star Member
    "Back home have checked who I am sharing the air ways with

Here are just a few

Radio Authority
    Army
    Navy
    On Board Ship Phones Channels 5 to 12
    Capital Flying eye
    Dartford Tunnel
    London Eye Control
    Mercury mini pagers
    Marine and Coastal authority"

As long as it's no one important then Chris. Mind you I would be a bit concerned if anyone was bringing them home and did use them here that was within range of the Capital Flying Eye, interference on any flying frequency could be disastrous to both those on board and on the ground, that is why the American websites all say they are not licensed for use in the UK. Although you may not have had any issues that not to say someone else isn't picking up your transmissions.

Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Steph

I agree they can be dangerous, but for us we live in quite an isolated area, its a known
    blackspot for our mobile phones. So im sure they should be ok.

We do only intend to use them when the kids are playing in the feilds out the back so we
    can keep track on them. I also had one of them on continue scan on all the channels over
    the weekend and we picked up no one.

Checked in Argos and something similar costs upto £100, so $17 was a bargain.

Chris
    Chrisj

Gold 5 Star Member
    I know what you mean, about the difference in price Chris, I bought a set of 3 in Argos for my nephews and brother for Christmas (about £49 for triple pack) as we've found them so useful and the boys are getting to the age (10 and 8) of wanting a bit more freedom so figured it would be a good way for them to keep in touch when they are allowed out.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Steph

The words rip of britain come to mind

Chris
    Chrisj