Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: virgin.......

Florida Expert
    Why have we never thought of that one? In all the years we have been flying to the US we have never had an upgrade - NEVER despite asking over and over again. There is hope yet!!!
    Debs

Gold 5 Star Member
    Debs
    We got upgraded once on our ay back and my brother did thsi Christma ( he forgot to mention that he was travelling with us, not sure if it was deliberate - but as he'd paid £604 for his seat and we'd paid £360 thought that was fair enough. Like me though he didn't really feel it was worth paying for an upgrade, just us being mean I gues but for 3 of us at £350 each that is another off peak holiday flight each so we can put up with it for 8 hours.
    We were told it's best not to ask, funnily enough the 1 time we got upgraded was when we asked at the desk if they were looking for any volunteers to stand down!
    Babblin Boo

We got upgraded with AA. Wouldn't fly Virgin again unless they are the cheapest as last few we have been on were dreadful. Sloppy indifferent staff. Our first choice is AA, then BA - but we collect air miles so have 2 free flights this year - yippee!
    Fiona

Florida Expert
    Well done Fiona - isn't it great to get something for nothing!!

Steph I must remember that one!! - You wait i'll offer to stand down and they will say thanks very much and take me up on the offer with probably nowt in return!![V]
    Debs

Gold 5 Star Member
    Debs
    The reason we offer is that on our first trip to Orlando in 96 on our way home, the flight was overbooked and they asked if we'd volunteer to stand down, so what happened was we caught the next flight to Miami and picked up the flight to Gatwick from there, so instead of having a 3 hr wait at the airport we went straight onto the Miami flight (took about an hr), the Miami flight got into Gatwick an hour before the Orlando flight, so we got home an hour earlier and in return got vouchers for a free return flight on any of their scheduled network flights (or 40,000 miles but we hadn't joined the Freeway miles at the time). So we went back to Orlando the following year at Virgins expense. This year they're treating us to go to California!!
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    That is what I call absolutely jammy!!!! [8D][8D]
    Debs

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's never happened since but we always ask just in case, on several occasions we've been told they were looking for volunteers in the preceding days and couldn't give them away.
    Babblin Boo

We always offer to stand-down as well, and it has almost happened twice!!! United even gave us US$200 in vouchers, just because we offered and ended up being the last ones on the plane.

Most likely times for this to happen are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, plus any days close to a Public holiday.
    Carla

Florida Newbie
    We have flown VA twice now and once was to california and have to say it was worth that bit extra.

You see it is a schedualed airline and not chartered and there may be a good chance that it is not a full flight and that the seats you get may be more than 2 or 3 if , so extra sprwaling space to put yer head down.
    The meals are slightly better and drinks are normally free throughout and so was the games console.

hope you find this useful

Florida Savvy
    I have never flown VA, but flew American Airlines to Orlando last week (via Miami on the way-out and Boston on the way-back) and they were excellent couldn't fault them in any way. The flights were booked in January and cost just £279 return each. I know it is a cliche re: their advert with more room in economy but it is genuinely true. I am 6'4" and had no issues with either of the two internal flights (had bulkhead seats for both transatlantic trips), in fact it broke the return trip up very nicely and the internal flight 'docked' at the gate next to the transatlantic flight so no probs with trogging across the airport plus only 90 mins between flights. Staff were excellent, seatback TV's for everyone with a good selection of films/TV/radio on both flights, food pretty good (for airline food) and frequent rounds of drinks, all-in-all 8.5/10 (hard to get much better in my eyes). Would not hesitate to use them as my first choice next time around.
    Hope you find this of some benefit.
    Biggus