Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English American style!

Gold 5 Star Member
    We had the fortnight thing come up the first time we were in Florida, I couldn't understand why they looked puzzled when I said we were staying for a "Fortnight", didn't realise that they don't ust that term in the US.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah

The Americans dont say numbers like we do
    I was in Sears store last year
    ordering a air hockey do pick up later
    The young assistant ask for my phone number
    I said four, zero,seven double six ,eight, zero. double nine.
    She just couldn't get it
    in the end I had to write it down
    Barbara
    Barbara

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I love the language difference in the states when we go.

The first time we went. we stayed in Animal Kingdom Lodge and used the cafe a lot, for pizza coffee etc.

When I order pizza I like to say tomayto instead of tomatoe and garage and hubby got very bemused, when order a pizza that he said can I have a pizza to take away instead of a pizza to go.

we are now becoming more used to the language and I can't wait to use it again when we are out in May
    CERI

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    When in Wal Wart we tried asking for 6oz of Ham they had no idea what we were talking about they only seem to deal in lbs. 1/4lb or 1/2lb.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    When we first took my eldest son to Florida he was 5 and as he was missing some school time he was keeping a diary of his days in Florida. Unfortunately, although he was writing in pencil, he made mistakes. You should have seen their faces in Walmart when he asked them for a rubber![msnembarrased] He now knows to ask for an eraser!
    Lesley

Florida Expert
    Oh Lesley that is funny!! They call an eraser the same thing here in Italy of course in italian. My friend once here was talking about additives and preservatives in foods and everyone starting laughing at her here in Italy as a preservative is a american rubber if you get my drift![msnscared]
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Hi, the difference in language is funny, isn't it
    My father is Canadian but we've always lived in the UK and when I first started school at the age of 5, I was talking sidewalks and elevators and my school friends thought I was a martian. I decided it wasn't cool to speak like that and it's taken 40 odd years to get out of the habit, but now I'm going to Florida regularly, it's all coming back to me.

I understand that the worst thing to say when looking for the ladies is to ask for the "toilet" as apparently this is considered a rude and crass word to use [:O] but I still find it odd to say "rest" room because rest is not what we need to do in there[:I]

Oh well, viva la difference.

Di
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2061.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'll give you a tinkle can cause alarm!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by diabloartificial
    ha lol ye that will be cool strange at first but cool (they hadnt heard of a fortnight!! omg) [)]
    [/quote]

I didn't know what a fortnight was either, until I came onto this forum. I think it was Blott who had to explain it to me!
    Teresa

sorry teresa don't take offence to it, i dont mean it as an insult i hope u know tht if u take offence then dm me n ill apologise. [msnsmile2][msnsmile][msncool][msnwink][msntongue][angel][drinkbeer][drinkpepsi][grouphug]