Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: deaths at sea world

Florida Chatterbox
    We last visited Orlando in 1995 and we have booked to go again in February 2006, When we went my fave park was definately Sea World. I also do have reservations about the animals being kept in captivity, BUT not everyone has the chance to see these animals in the wild and for the joy they gave me to see them was second to none and i am sure a lot of people have the same views.[msnwink]
    Angela

I have to say Sea World is more of my fav places to go when in FL. It's just amazing what they can do. I never grow up when in FL.

Florida Expert
    We went about 10 years ago and hit the hottest weather for 100 years.The animals refused to perform and just flung themselves into the water when they were sent out.Almost funnier than the real show!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have been just once and would never go again.
    In particular I think the Artic section with the polar bears etc is a disgrace. Performing animals, whales and manatees couped up, are a throwback to Victorian times.

As David Bellamy once said

"Good Zoos are good News, Bad Zoos are Bad News"
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1922.aspx

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    In particular I think the Artic section with the polar bears etc is a disgrace. Performing animals, whales and manatees couped up, are a throwback to Victorian times.
    [/quote]

as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye![msnwink]
    Trev

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
    [/quote]

as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye![msnwink]
    [/quote]

Here here i agree Trev[msnwink]
    Angela

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye!
    [/quote]

Trevlad,
    If you simply want to see what they look like close up, there are lifelike models of them are in many museums.

There are amazing videos/films available of virtually every wild creature in their natural habitat; not cooped up in a concrete pen for us to gawk at.

It doesn’t take an animal psychiatrist to see how distressed those Polar Bears are in that terrible environment at Sea World.

That said, I am making no criticism of those who wish to spend their time and money attending that attraction. I have merely expressed a personal opinion that for me it is not any form of ‘attraction’ – indeed quite the opposite. But then I never enjoyed seeing bears riding on a biycle either.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:as said it has its pros and cons, but without sea world - whats a manatee? yes we know dolphins, and killer whales, bit vicious but alright. but those slow moving blobby things they are easily killed or disregarded, what are they?

i can see where you are coming from but i think the knowledge the place imparts , far out weighs the downside? wouldnt do for us all to vote aye!
    [/quote]

Trevlad,
    If you simply want to see what they look like close up, there are lifelike models of them are in many museums.

There are amazing videos/films available of virtually every wild creature in their natural habitat; not cooped up in a concrete pen for us to gawk at.

It doesn’t take an animal psychiatrist to see how distressed those Polar Bears are in that terrible environment at Sea World.

That said, I am making no criticism of those who wish to spend their time and money attending that attraction. I have merely expressed a personal opinion that for me it is not any form of ‘attraction’ – indeed quite the opposite. But then I never enjoyed seeing bears riding on a biycle either.

[/quote]

I don't want to open an argument or can of worms here but i see from Rob5988's profile that his hobbies include "Bridge Sea Fishing".

Is this not considered a little hypocritical SP? of someone who is so against Zoo's.

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1922.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I don't want to open an argument or can of worms here but i see from Rob5988's profile that his hobbies include "Bridge Sea Fishing".

Is this not considered a little hypocritical SP? of someone who is so against Zoo's.
    [/quote]

I play Bridge and I fish in the Sea.

On what grounds you assume that I am so against zoos?

I would totally agree with the quote you posted earlier:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: As David Bellamy once said

"Good Zoos are good News, Bad Zoos are Bad News"[/quote]

I consider Sea World a particularly poor 'zoo' which is my reason for disliking it; and I personally do not find animals performing tricks entertaining or amusing.

Unless you are trying to imply that I am some vegetarian, anti hunting, animal rights activists tree hugger; I am afraid the logic of your last quote escapes me!