Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

View Poll Results: Larger passengers

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

30 25.42%
  • YES

58 49.15%
  • POSSIBLY, DEPENDING ON WEIGHT

30 25.42%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Larger passengers

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar

Larger passengers

Reading the baggage allowance threads has got me thinking.
    Should larger travellers have to pay extra e.g. for two seats.
    Should be interesting to hear both sides of this debate? Please feel free to add comments.....nice ones please!
    CDV

I'll start this one off. As I have two points of view really.

I would be extremely annoyed if someone told me I had to pay extra as I was some pounds overweight. However having been on the brunt of a very large lady (and I am certainly no Twiggy)! who was well over her seat and into mine on a long flight back from Mexico, it was rather uncomfortable and I was a tad annoyed. She kept apologising and then ate her way back to the UK

Mr CDV had a huge and I mean huge guy behind him on a return flight from Vegas after we got married and the guys knees pushed my lovely better halfs seat seriously forward the whole journey, it was embarassing for everyone, us, the guy and the stewardess who had to try and sort the situation out as there was no way Mr CDV could sit for 13 hours like that. In the end Mr CDV stood up for a great deal of the time!

CDV

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    As long as they only use one seat then they should pay the same price as anyone else. To discriminate against people on the grounds of weight (or anything else for that matter) would land someone in a lot of trouble I suspect.

I did see a program about SouthWest Airlines in the USA a few weeks ago and their test with larger passengers was could they comfortably sit in one of the plane seats with both armrests down. If not, the passenger did have to buy another seat but would then have the use of two seats. Sounds very fair to me [msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
    As long as they only use one seat then they should pay the same price as anyone else. To discriminate against people on the grounds of weight (or anything else for that matter) would land someone in a lot of trouble I suspect.

I did see a program about SouthWest Airlines in the USA a few weeks ago and their test with larger passengers was could they comfortably sit in one of the plane seats with both armrests down. If not, the passenger did have to buy another seat but would then have the use of two seats. Sounds very fair to me [msnsmile]
    [/quote]

I did read something along those lines last year. The complaints from other passengers were so huge the airline had to do something and selling two seats was their answer. I think it was AA although not 100% sure.
    CDV

Florida Chatterbox
    well i fit into my seat, and if i didnt i wouldnt even get on the plane, I understand that some of the american's can be huge, but to be honest, I am really struggling with my weight and always have since I was 6.

I agree that if I was spilling over into someone elses seat then I would expect to pay more

Anita

well i am a big girl and am desperate to lose weight! i wonder will you be weighed in like you would at weight watchers??? at the virgin desks? that would slow everything down and am sure they would end up having to take on more staff to accomadate this, and yes if someone needs the arm rest up then they would be using 2 seats so should pay for it! it took me years to decide to get on a plane, have lost some weight and fit comfortably in the seats like Anita if i didnt then i wouldnt embarress myself, and no i would never use an extension belt!!!!
    lets not pick on the fatties!! we're not all like it cos we eat all day!!!
    Liesa

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chunkichik
    well i fit into my seat, and if i didnt i wouldnt even get on the plane, I understand that some of the american's can be huge, but to be honest, I am really struggling with my weight and always have since I was 6.

This sort of poll doesnt do anything to help my confidence either, so thanks!![gun]
    [/quote]

Anita,
    As said in the original thread, this is not personal and not aimed at anyone. It is something that is an issue to lots of people and especially on long haul flights, which Florida is. I am certainly no Twiggy and struggle with my weight, up and down for the last 10 years.

So you want to shoot me
    CDV

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
    well i am a big girl and am desperate to lose weight! i wonder will you be weighed in like you would at weight watchers??? at the virgin desks? that would slow everything down and am sure they would end up having to take on more staff to accomadate this, and yes if someone needs the arm rest up then they would be using 2 seats so should pay for it! [/quote]

God that would be embarassing, I can just picture the scene.

Can I just reiterate, this is not a pick on larger travellers or anybody but a genuine question about how people feel. Of course there are all sorts of reasons why people are larger including medical.
    CDV

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chunkichik

This sort of poll doesnt do anything to help my confidence either, so thanks!![gun]
    [/quote]

Anita,
    As said in the original thread, this is not personal and not aimed at anyone. It is something that is an issue to lots of people and especially on long haul flights, which Florida is. I am certainly no Twiggy and struggle with my weight, up and down for the last 10 years.

So you want to shoot me
    [/quote]

yep, i got the firing squad ready lol[msntongue]

I fully admit that I wouldn't like someone spilling over into my seat, but then if I was that big, I wouldn't even have the guts to get on the plane.

Lets just hope they dont start charging per pair of shoes that you bring back!!! [msnwink] then you might see where I am coming from
    Anita

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Just a polite request to keep this thread nice and respect other forum users too. It's an emotive subject and rightly so, but it has been asked in the right manner and I do not believe it has been asked with the intention to have a go at anyone whatsoever [msnsmile]