Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

View Poll Results: Larger passengers

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

30 25.42%
  • YES

58 49.15%
  • POSSIBLY, DEPENDING ON WEIGHT

30 25.42%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Larger passengers

Gold 5 Star Member
    As much as they might want to do it, it could prove to be virtually impossible for the airlines to implement something along these lines which was anywhere near fair and non-discriminatory.

If they set a standard weight or measurement above which surcharges were imposed, it would inevitably have a disproportionate impact upon male travelers who would be far more likely to be above the limit. Alternatively, if they set different weight restrictions for men and women, that would be likely to be challenged on gender discrimination grounds.

So what would be next? Taller passengers, pregnant women or disabled people with special needs asked to pay more? It's an absolute legal nightmare which I don't think the airlines believe they can overcome (or they would have done it already).

well i wouldnt mind paying a reasonable fair 4 being bigger if i got a decent size seat..... having said that even when i had the major surgery with my knee and flying 3 months later i still didnt fancy paying the price to upgrade to a more comfy seat.....think we just like cheap as and get there as quick as......
    thanks for the seat sizes for easyjet.......... now im really scared!!! thats gonna be a so hopeless size for me!!![msncry] definate diet coming up.... how much can i get off in the next 5 weeks![msneek]
    Liesa

An interesting cut/paste from today's Travelmode website on this topic. It would be Ryanair, wouldn't it? [msnwink]

I also love the suggestion for toilet paper

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for large passengers

Ryanair is considering how to charge a ‘fat tax’ after more than 30,000 passengers voted in favour of charging excess weight fees for very large passengers.

Over 100,000 passengers voted in an online poll to decide which cost reduction idea should win a €1,000 cash prize.

The final poll results were as follows:

. 29% - Excess fees for very overweight passengers

. 25% - €1 for toilet paper – with O’Leary’s face on it

. 24% - €3 to smoke in a converted toilet cubicle

. 14% - Annual subscription to access [website edited]

. 8% - €2 “corkage” fee for passengers who bring their own food onboard.

Ryanair will now consider how to implement such a charge and asked passengers to vote, via [website edited], on which format the charge should take:

. Charge per kg over 130kg/20 stone (male) and 100kg/15 stone (females)

. Charge per inch for every waist inch over 45 inch (male) and 40 inch (female)

. Charge for every point in excess of 40 points on the Body Mass Index (+30 points is obese)

. Charge for a second seat if passengers’ waist touches both armrests simultaneously.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said: “Over 100,000 passengers logged on to ryanair.com to take part in our competition and almost one in three (over 30,000)think that very large passengers should be asked to pay a fat tax.

“With passengers voting overwhelmingly for a ‘fat tax’ we are now asking them to suggest which format the charge should take.

“The above four points seem to us to be the simplest, fairest and administratively easiest to apply.

“In all cases we have set limits at very high levels so that a ‘fat tax’ will only apply to those really large passengers who invade’ the space of the passengers sitting beside them.

“These charges, if introduced, might also act as an incentive to some of our very large passengers to lose a little weight and hopefully feel a little lighter and healthier.

“The revenues from any such fat tax will be used to lower the airfares for all Ryanair passengers yet further. Passengers can vote for their preference on [website edited] until April 27.”
    [/quote]
    Keith

Florida Expert
    Its a very hot topic again.

Just last week it was reported on local TV that United are planning on charging extra for the "Larger Passenger"

[website edited]

As i commented originally on this topic, i think its fair.

I'm tall so i always pay extra for a extra legroom seat or i upgrade if i can afford it.
    Neil & Kay

Super Moderator
    Had to laugh at the comment from Ryanair this morning though 'they thought if they introduced a fat tax it would help reduce obesity in this country'.

From what I have seen and heard of the owner of Ryanair his main aim is to make a quick and easy profit and the wellbeing of the nation's health would not even get anywhere near his radar.

What advantage would this tax be to the average customer? None. No cost reduction, no wider seats. Same situation except the airline makes more money!

It would be nice to see the effort put towards canvassing airlines to provide full wheelchair positions (which can easily be done), I know my son would still be travelling if this was the case, at the moment he would have to be manhandled past everyone an in and sit in a totally unsuitable seat.
    I had heard the new super jumbos were going to have such spots no nothing as of yet, guess there is no money in it.

I agree with Martin - UK businesses have to provide disabled facilities - we had to install a new extra wide staircase with a lift to comply with disability laws (our shops are listed buildings and in a conservation area so we can't have normal lifts put in) but it seems to me that airlines get away with not having adequate toilet facilities or suitable seating for disabled passengers. If you need extra leg room or 2 seats then fine you should pay for the facility but airlines should also have a responsibility to ensure their planes are more accessible.
    Caroline & Dave

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
    I agree with Martin - UK businesses have to provide disabled facilities - we had to install a new extra wide staircase with a lift to comply with disability laws (our shops are listed buildings and in a conservation area so we can't have normal lifts put in) but it seems to me that airlines get away with not having adequate toilet facilities or suitable seating for disabled passengers. If you need extra leg room or 2 seats then fine you should pay for the facility but airlines should also have a responsibility to ensure their planes are more accessible.
    [/quote]
    You want to try living here in Bavaria. Our office building has disabled toilets, but they are of little use since the only access to the building is via a turnstile! We have no employees in wheelchairs but one of our customers once sent one of their consultants to visit and he was in a wheelchair - we had to bring him in through the loading bay. [msnembarrased]

Best of all, our carpark is underground, and for a short period last year we actually had two designated disabled parking spaces - they were next to the stairs, which are the only way in/out, unless you count the car ramp. [:O]
    Keith