Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

The other book I have read while here is The Island by Victoria Hislop - wow what a great book!

Just reviving this thread.[msnoo]

For all fans of the late Sidney Sheldon I have just read "Mistress of the Game" by Tilly Bagshawe, the follow up to Siney Sheldon's "Master of the Game" which his family approached her to write.
    I was very sceptical as I am not a big fan of her work and couldn't finish the last book of hers that I bought, but this was really good and I read it in a weekend. I re read " Master of the Game" first so that I would know what was going on (I first read that book more than 20 years ago![msneek]) and although it wasn't really necessary I found it useful and enjoyed it just as much as I did first time[msnsmile]

Liz

If you are building up a libary at your villa we were near Miami and was looking for internet we was not able to use theres but they had a sale on books and very cheap and all was a good read and to leave in the villa ,most libarys have a sale of books .
    I have read all Enid Blytons when i was young and love them may start to read them again.
    I am reading Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins and cannot put it down ,next i have got Matters of the heart by Danielle Steel to read anyone read this and is it good .
    Going to spain at the weekend for one week for my birthday so hope to buy a couple of new ones at the airport .
    Anyone read swimsuit by James Patterson .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Thanks for the tip Liz, I used to love reading Sidney Sheldon's books on the train when I worked in an office pre the children!! Will logon to Amazon and see if I can buy them both later.
    Caroline & Dave

Maureen,
    Have just read Matters of the Heart by Danielle Steel - a good read - one of her better books although not as good as my favourite The Ring.
    Wendy

Arborfield, Berkshire, UK & Davenport, Florida
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitch50
    Maureen,
    Have just read Matters of the Heart by Danielle Steel - a good read - one of her better books although not as good as my favourite The Ring.
    [/quote]

My favourite of Danielle Steele's was the ring too - I think it was one of her first books, and it was the first I read. I haven't read Matters of the Heart, but off to Portugal tomorrow for a week so might see if they have copy at the airport

I have enjoyed The forbidden Garden and the House at Riverton both by Kate Morton this year. A different style of writing as there are a lot of flashbacks.
    Frances

I am reading a book called Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet at the moment. Prior to that I read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both of
    these books are very harrowing but a good read. Also The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson I read this in one day.

Frances the 2 Kate Morton books are in my wish list on Amazon but I have a huge pile to read before I dare order any more .

Liz I feel the same about Tilly Bagshawe although I have recently read Scandalous and it was surprisingly good I thought. Always looking for new authors
    so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Another trio of books which are a harrowing but really uplifting read are "A Child Called It" "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Called Dave" all by Dave Pelzer. All the more harrowing because they are his life story so far ... a totally inspirational man.
    Wendy

Florida Chatterbox
    Great thread, just found it! I enjoyed The Island too. I'm currently into books about the history of places I visit whether fact or fiction. Currently reading one about the discovery of New York which is fascinating - 'The Island at the Centre of the World' by Russell Shorto-read like a thriller. One thing is that someone was employed in NY's library to translate hundreds of ancient manuscripts written by Dutch record keepers the results of which have changed the history taught in US schools- it took him over 25 years to do this as there are so few people able to translate the ancient language.

Another was a novel about a Florida cracker family saga I bought in a Fl museum, real tear jerker as well as great insight into the hardships of the cattle drovers and the native American Indian families of Florida. Sitting by a pool,on the beach or in our lovely villa reading of the blood sweat and tears - long before aircon and theme parks really brought it home how lucky we are to live in the age that we do. Given this one to parents but will also post details if anyone interested.

Florida Expert
    I am a big Jodi Picoult fan and have read all of her books. I have quite a library of them at the villa and have enjoyed reading a couple of them twice. I like her style of writing and she writes almost as though they were true stories.
    Mary