Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel after radiotherapy?

Travel after radiotherapy?

Has anyone any experience of this? I just wondered how soon after radiotherapy you know of someone going out to Florida. I know you have to be careful in the sun after treatment but I wondered if you keep well covered how soon it would be safe to go?
    Angela

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Newhomebuyer
    Has anyone any experience of this? I just wondered how soon after radiotherapy you know of someone going out to Florida. I know you have to be careful in the sun after treatment but I wondered if you keep well covered how soon it would be safe to go?
    [/quote]

It all depends on what condition the radiotherapy was for (ie the organ involved), the dosage (which will depend on the extent of the lesion), the age and general condition of the patient and the time lag before anticipated travel. There is also the very important variable of post-DXT side effects. As you can see, there is no simple answer to this question, but the patient's GP and the treating Oncologist should be able to give advice specific to the patient.

Here is a useful link. There is probably far more info than you need, but save it if you want it for reference.

http://www.christie.nhs.uk/patientin...diotherapy.htm
    Nostromo

Thanks Arun. I am the patient and Christies is where I will have my treatment so your link was very relevant and helpful. I was hoping for some anecdotal evidence to provide some hope that I will not have been a new-home-buyer who doesn't visit her new home this year.
    Angela

hope it all goes well for you Angela,
    think positive thoughts you will be going to your new home soon!
    Liesa

It will be something to look forward to, Angela. Hope it is not too bad for you, and that you will soon be planning your trip to visit your new villa. Fingers crossed for you.
    ellie

Florida Expert
    Keep positive thoughts in your head and I am sure this will get you through, I know from experiance and I am sure been positive has a great effect. Good Luck for the future.

Hi
    I had 25 radiation treatments for breast cancer in 2001 and again 15 last year. I have been to Florida since but I am very careful with the sun. What I notice is that is realy dries my skin out. My oncologiest was very pleased when I said I was going this January, but quite rightly he told me to take it easy - like you have that option as a villa owner, and not to open the site of the treatment to direct sunshine.
    We had a fabulous time and am going again 1st May.
    I think a lot of this is down to how you feel yourself, and common sense.
    Hope you go and have a fabulous time.
    Lynne

Thanks to everyone for good wishes. I do feel positive and have made a good recovery from recent surgery
    Thank you for sharing your experience Lynne. Someones practical experience is such valuable information. I think being a villa owner will make it much easier than a holiday into the unknown.

Angela

Angela, I worked at Christies many years ago, it is an excellent hospital....at least it was then.
    Don't forget to check out your travel insurance for any exclusions to your policy.
    Hope you get over to Florida soon, have a great time. [msnsmile]

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    The thing to remember is that you will be a bit immunosupressed for a period after Radiotherapy, making you a bit more susceptible to infections and such like. Also, if you do catch something, it may have rather more tiring effect on you. But as long as you take sensible precautions, protect yourself adequately from the sun and take all your medications (if any) as prescribed, you should be able to enjoy the holiday like anyone else.
    Nostromo