Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internet on the move

I have a Sony Vaio, but it's nearly 3 years old now (bit of an antique!)
    It doesn't have built in wireless but I use a Belkin plug in card to have wireless access to our home network.

Will this pick up the hotspots in Starbucks etc? or do I need to buy something else?
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
    [i]Martin,

Is that unmetered and how fast is the connection?

Brizzle.
    It was going to be my question too. When I asked the guy who sold me the PC, he gave me a lot of technical lingo, but the one thing he seemed to insist was that these cards working through mobile networks were very expensive and very slow (he said that it was slower than a dial-up connection). Even if this was true, will this new satellite system change things eventually?
    Nostromo

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Yes it will - you have all you need.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline

Will this pick up the hotspots in Starbucks etc? or do I need to buy something else?
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
    [i]Martin,

Is that unmetered and how fast is the connection?

Brizzle.
    It was going to be my question too. When I asked the guy who sold me the PC, he gave me a lot of technical lingo, but the one thing he seemed to insist was that these cards working through mobile networks were very expensive and very slow (he said that it was slower than a dial-up connection). Even if this was true, will this new satellite system change things eventually?
    [/quote]

We have in the past used the mobile dial-up connection and it is painfully slow, drove us mad, being used to broadband at home.[msnoo]
    Sarah

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
    Yes it will - you have all you need.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]Thanks John, that's brilliant news[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
    Hi Nostromo. It sounds like the wireless access that you get in airports and Starbucks and places like that. Does it mention the system 802.11b or 802.11g at all? These are the current standards for wireless networks.
    [/quote]

Snapper (and Brizzle, who mentioned this in a DM), I checked again. The wording on the spec of my new Laptop is "Wireless LAN 802.11b/g Built-in Ethernet Capability" - I hope that this does not mean that the equipment is a bit that fell off a passing Flying Saucer or something. [msnscared][msnscared]
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    That sounds like just what you need Nostromo. I couldn't have written it better if I'd tried. You may be able to switch the wireless on and off, but as long as it is switched on and running it should detect any available networks and then the prompt will talk you through connecting to it. You will be surprised how easy it is.
    Steve

Florida Newbie
    Nostromo

Intel have licensed a cut-down version of 'Wi-Fi for Dummies'. This is available free from PC World and Dixons. You might want to pick up a copy. It explains the basics in plain english (more or less). If you can't get hold of one, DM your address to me and I'll see if I can find a spare copy at work.

One thing to be aware of is security. If you are planning to set up your own wireless network at home using a wireless router (for example to allow your laptop and desktop to share files and a broadband connection) your should make sure that you enable encryption. Your laptop and router may support WEP and/or WPA. WPA is more secure. It is easy to do and instructions will be provided with the router. This prevents anyone in range of your home network from connecting without the correct password and ensures that the data is encrypted as it travels your Wi-Fi network. If a home network isn't secured then anyone can connect and use your broadband connection and, potentially, even access your files. There are other security steps which you can take. I have a link which explains them but I'm not sure if I can put it here. DM me for it if you are interested. Of course, if you don't plan to set up a wireless network at home then this doesn't apply.

I haven't used my laptop to access public hotspots so I'm not really 'up' on security issues there. However, one scam I have heard of is 'Rogue Hotspots'. Basically these are wireless networks set up to 'look' like a legitimate hotspot but with the intention of intercepting your traffic (passwords, files etc.). Again, I have a useful link with tips to guard against these.

Hope this helps

Rooster[msnsmile]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks Rooster. I do have a Router at home networking my wife's PC with mine, but it is cabled. We had problems with the wireless router because of the odd arrangement of rooms. There are extra ports available on the router to plug in the laptop, but I was more concerned about being able to use it on the move. It now looks like this new satellite system mught help things. And I'll try and pick up this 'Wi-Fi for Dummies' from the local Dixons or PC World tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think the new satellite system is a bit of a red herring.

Yesterday's launch put up a device called Inmarsate 4-F1. If you want to read about it the details are here: http://about.inmarsat.com/satellites...textonly=False and you need to read the bit that says Inmarsat I-4 (Gateway to Broadband).

These new satellites will be used indirectly for providing broadband access to mobile users but it is hugely unlikely that your or I or anyone on these forums will ever communicate directly via the satellite.

The satellite launched yesterday is now in a geostationary orbit somewhere over the Indian Ocean I think. The mechanics of a geostationary orbit need the satellite to be about 22,000 miles up (give or take). With the best will in the world, there is no way a small piece of radio kit sticking out of a laptop is going to transmit a radio or microwave signal 22,000 miles. What is more likely is that your laptop will talk to the mobile phone networks via a 3G card (the little red Vodafone ones for example) and the mobile base-station will then talk to the satellite, which will then rely the signal wherever it needs to go.
    Steve