Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Question Please

Gold 5 Star Member
    We dont earn anything like $100,000 a year, we are miles and miles off that, only just manage to earn the minimum needed for E2 and that is with working long long hours and yet we manage to live OK and in Celebration to boot. It depends what you do.
    Julie

If I were going back:
    House 350 - 400k around 2000 per month with taxes
    utilities - $500 per month
    2 cars (one new on not so new) $300
    car insurance - $200.
    Health care with co pay for family of 4 $400
    4 holidays a year (good quality 4 day breaks) $400 per month
    Groceries $600 per month
    So there is $53000 off the top.

income of $100,000 less 15% for taxes leaves $85000 less above leaves $32000 out of which you need to plan for retirement (95% of people will have to maove back tomtehre home country). House maintenance, general living, schools, eating out, longer holidays, trips home, medical co paymnets).
    Chrizzy I dont know how you do it, I really do take my hat off too you. If we bought 2 houses over there now. Mortgage along would be around 40k a year if not more.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    We dont earn anything like $100,000 a year, we are miles and miles off that, only just manage to earn the minimum needed for E2 and that is with working long long hours and yet we manage to live OK and in Celebration to boot. It depends what you do.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Yes well we only have emergency health care so our health insurance is lower, but we just dont have holidays, trips home, any planning for retirement, and my grocery bill is far lower. 4 holidays a year and in management?? I have been here two years and have managed a weekend near Sarasota!!! Longer holidays, thats a laugh. Eating out, we do but we cut our coat according to the material, we dont go to the Disney hotels or anywhere like that.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    If I were going back:
    House 350 - 400k around 2000 per month with taxes
    utilities - $500 per month
    2 cars (one new on not so new) $300
    car insurance - $200.
    Health care with co pay for family of 4 $400
    4 holidays a year (good quality 4 day breaks) $400 per month
    Groceries $600 per month
    So there is $53000 off the top.

income of $100,000 less 15% for taxes leaves $85000 less above leaves $32000 out of which you need to plan for retirement (95% of people will have to maove back tomtehre home country). House maintenance, general living, schools, eating out, longer holidays, trips home, medical co paymnets).
    Chrizzy I dont know how you do it, I really do take my hat off too you. If we bought 2 houses over there now. Mortgage along would be around 40k a year if not more.

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Do you know ...I have no idea how I do it too......LOL...!

$1771.....HOUSES + TAXES

$250.....CAR PAYMENTS

$30.....CAPE HOME INS...

$520....FOOD.....

$100.....CAR INS...

$400...SPENDING....

$500....BILLS.....

$480...BITS AND BOBS..LIKE HOILDAYS....ETC...
    thats .....$48K A YEAR....

then we have around 4k a year extra because hubby is paid every 2 weeks......that pays for the FL homes bills.....

Then he gets a bonus.....but thats an extra.....and we never count on it....

Things like healthcare payments....retirement are taken out by the company.....so we live on about.....$52k take home....

[/quote]

Julie could you afford to buy a home on Celebration with the amount you're now earning?
    Caroline & Dave

Exactly my point, you need in excess of $100k per year to live well. I see no fun in not enjoying the wonderful sights, food and accommodation that Florida offers. The whole idea is too move for a better life and not to have to cut corners.
    From waht your are saying, then (dont take this the wrong way) you would not be able to live in celebration if you had to buy now and minimum deposit. My original post is aimed at those wanting to move over now and without a bunch of dosh behind them. 100k is a reasonable amount.

Yes well we only have emergency health care so our health insurance is lower, but we just dont have holidays, trips home, any planning for retirement, and my grocery bill is far lower. 4 holidays a year and in management?? I have been here two years and have managed a weekend near Sarasota!!! Longer holidays, thats a laugh. Eating out, we do but we cut our coat according to the material, we dont go to the Disney hotels or anywhere like that.
    [/quote]

Yes but what if you arrived in Florida this morning and had to buy a decent family home, set up life private health care, private pension ete etc. You are missing the point that we are talking about people arriving now not what can be done if you have been living there for sometime, have residency and company benifits.

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Do you know ...I have no idea how I do it too......LOL...!

$1771.....HOUSES + TAXES

$250.....CAR PAYMENTS

$30.....CAPE HOME INS...

$520....FOOD.....

$100.....CAR INS...

$400...SPENDING....

$500....BILLS.....

$480...BITS AND BOBS..LIKE HOILDAYS....ETC...
    thats .....$48K A YEAR....

then we have around 4k a year extra because hubby is paid every 2 weeks......that pays for the FL homes bills.....

Then he gets a bonus.....but thats an extra.....and we never count on it....

Things like healthcare payments....retirement are taken out by the company.....so we live on about.....$52k take home....

[/quote]

Florida Savvy
    Jeff and Amy

I dont have rose covered glasses on, If we have to work hard and watch our finances, let it be in Florida rather than England. The climate is a big plus for me.

I must admit to being shocked when I received a list of Orlando properties this week. Twenty year old houses going for $245,000 !!! We are fortunate enough in that we dont need a mortgage, and have just come out of paying for school fees so large bills dont worry us too much !!!

I really appreciate everyone's advice and I know you are not trying to put me off, but if we dont at least try to make a go of it we will always wonder what if !!!

Regarding living elsewhere in Florida - is that just because property is cheaper ? everything else is the same price right?

Thanks everyone

SheilaF

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SheilaF
    I must admit to being shocked when I received a list of Orlando properties this week. Twenty year old houses going for $245,000 !!! We are fortunate enough in that we dont need a mortgage, and have just come out of paying for school fees so large bills dont worry us too much !!!
    SheilaF
    [/quote]

That's intersting. Can you elaborate on the kind of property/house that was on offer at that price? I'd like to compare it with what one can get for £130,000 in an upmarket area in the UK.
    Nostromo

Florida Savvy
    Hi Nostromo

The "old" house I referred to was a four bed 2 bathroom single family home in Hunters Creek. I used to think you could pick up a resale for next to nothing because everyone wants to buy a new home, but property seems to have gone through the roof in Orlando. Why is that?

SheilaF