Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Question Please

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks both '100's. I think I now have a reasonably good idea of what to expect in terms of health insurance if we ever consider that option of retiring to Florida. This 'Senior's Plan' that Flyrr mentioned looks interesting and we'll look into that closer to the time.

Nostromo

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
    Thanks both '100's. I think I now have a reasonably good idea of what to expect in terms of health insurance if we ever consider that option of retiring to Florida. This 'Senior's Plan' that Flyrr mentioned looks interesting and we'll look into that closer to the time.

[/quote]

Let me know and I'll look around, see what I can find.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Florida Savvy
    Chrizzy I think I'd have to agree with Martin about annual income to live comfortably in Florida now. I heard that same number from a Kissimmee based UK businessman. So much has changed in the Orlando area in the last two to three years. House prices, whether new or used, have rocketed out of sight. I was talking with an owner in Lindfields who was marvelling that certain older villas that owners were trying to sell for $140k a couple of years ago are now in excess of $250k - an that's without any renovation work! Many local counties are radically increasing taxes on new construction - fees of up to $10k per house. Local paper mentioned that gasoline prices are expected to go up another 25 cents a gallon shortly. So the cost of living continues to go up.

Maybe I should re phrase that. If we were to go back to Florida we would need $100k per year minimum to live to standard that we would be happy with.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Florida4sun - scary !!! does that really happen with the neighbours? Even with paying $700 a month you still had to return home ? It has really opened my eyes but thats good we need to go into this fully aware and informed. Was it worth it ? ...............

<span style="color:blue">We enjoyed our time in Florida and I would not have changed it for the world. It is mainly the sun we miss, waking up to that every morning does lift your spirits somewhat. I think overall Florida is more expensive than the UK (if you want live well and enjoy yourself).
    The $700 just covered my wife and I, it was florida kidcare we had trouble with. Even so, any insurance company will look long and hard at trying not pay a claim. Its not nice having to battle when you or a family member is ill.</span id="blue">

Thanks for all the info we now have a rough idea what to expect to pay. Will you return to the US?

Would we go back? Not to live full time, I would certainly spend 3 or 4 months out there each year. First I think I would give Spain or France a chance. As long as there is sun we would try it
    Just for a refence I honestly think a family of 4 setting in Florida needs in excess off $100,000 income per year to have a good standard of living.

[/quote]

I don't think you need anywhere near $100k to have a good standard of living....we have nothing like that and in 5 years we own one of our two houses almost outright...2 cars and we have 4-5 hoildys a year......and we are a family of 4...with a daughter living at home in a low paying job right now waiting to go back to school.....and a son at school.....we came over with $60k.....in that time my husbands also been out of work.....in FL we could half our income ....its always nice to have more.....but if you know how to handle money...you can do very well in the USA on a lot less then a $100k......
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

[/quote]

To me...living in England for the summer and FL for the winter is idea.....and something we will look into doing....I think thats the best of both worlds......I miss the clean summer air and the birds singing... we get beauiful birds in the garden.....but I miss the spirrow song.......and I don't like having to keep my windows closed to keep out the humid air.....

Florida Savvy
    Hi Everyone

Thanks Blott for that link, I think now is the time to get some quotes.

Medical Insurance - bewildering. It helps having an employer to pay towards the premiums. I really hope we are able to work.

I have so much info now from this post, its made me realise that I must not wait until we get the ok (IF we get the ok) to start putting some figures together.

Have a good weekend, fingers crossed for Spurs on Sunday !!!!

SheilaF

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SheilaF
    Hi Everyone

Thanks Blott for that link, I think now is the time to get some quotes.

Medical Insurance - bewildering. It helps having an employer to pay towards the premiums. I really hope we are able to work.

I have so much info now from this post, its made me realise that I must not wait until we get the ok (IF we get the ok) to start putting some figures together.

Have a good weekend, fingers crossed for Spurs on Sunday !!!!

SheilaF
    [/quote]

We did it with no help or idea about what we were walking into...and we are still here......[msnsmile2]

Having a plan and figures to work with will be very handy....I was shocked at the cost of food.....and heating/cooling......but its a lot cheaper in FL than here in the cold north........you can knock a $ off of most items....like milk and bread etc.....keep letting us know how you get on......[msnsmile2]

Florida Savvy
    Hi Chrizzy and everyone

Thats encouraging. Someone said to me "thats the price you pay for living in paradise" !!!

Will keep you all informed, should hear from our Lawyer next week.

Thanks again

SheilaF

Florida Expert
    Sheila...
    I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, but..... It's not paradise. It's home. When you visited here it was paradise. You were in the sun. You ate out all the time. You were at Disney all the time.
    I live here and I come home, have dinner, watch some tv, put the kids to bed, maybe some quiet time with Amy, and go to bed. Same as you do there.

I disagree with Chrizzy about the cost of living in Florida. We moved here from Ohio and the only thing cheaper is our income tax. Groceries, gas, utilities all cost more.
    We earn around 120k between us and we live ok. We don't live month to month but we aren't rich by any means. We have two car payments, a mortgage, three kids to feed, clothe, entertain! If you earn less that 100k and want a good standard of living you need to think about living in another area of Florida. Try the panhandle or even Georgia or the Carolinas. Central Florida is going crazy right now. Have you heard about the condos going up downtown? Over a million each!!!!!

Jeff & Amy Stephens

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
    Sheila...
    I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, but..... It's not paradise. It's home. When you visited here it was paradise. You were in the sun. You ate out all the time. You were at Disney all the time.
    I live here and I come home, have dinner, watch some tv, put the kids to bed, maybe some quiet time with Amy, and go to bed. Same as you do there.

I disagree with Chrizzy about the cost of living in Florida. We moved here from Ohio and the only thing cheaper is our income tax. Groceries, gas, utilities all cost more.
    We earn around 120k between us and we live ok. We don't live month to month but we aren't rich by any means. We have two car payments, a mortgage, three kids to feed, clothe, entertain! If you earn less that 100k and want a good standard of living you need to think about living in another area of Florida. Try the panhandle or even Georgia or the Carolinas. Central Florida is going crazy right now. Have you heard about the condos going up downtown? Over a million each!!!!!

[/quote]

You best never move to where I live if you think it costs a lot to live in FL......[msnscared]

We only have one wage coming in...just over half what you have I think....most times with a large bonus but we never count on that...... but we run two homes both with home payments and taxes....two cars one still being paid for...have two kids....both still at home ......and we have what I called a very good standard of living for the USA anyway.......4 holidays plus a year.....we go out 4-5 times a week to eat.....in one year we had to buy everything for the new house in FL...plus do up the one we live in......and so far we've not had to break into our savings....so it can be done....