Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Question Please

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
    Here's my advise, for what it's worth.
    If you intend to move here for good, sell your UK house and buy a house here for cash. That'll save you thousands in closing costs and mortgage costs. Sell your cars, unless they're over 25 years old. Then you can import them here. And anything that uses 240 volts needs to be sold! They won't work here. Your TV and VCR won't work here as the USA has a different system. If you plan to move here permenently look at your UK pension. I'm looking into mine right now. It's a minefield dealing with good old British beuracracy &lt;sp&gt;. Pay off and close all your bank and credit card accounts. Again useless here.

Your 17 year old needs to be ready for college. Look into community college to get him started on the core classes. Then look into one of Florida's colleges or universities to get his batcherlers &lt;sp&gt; finnished. He'll need his graduation papers from his UK high school. Don't let him come here with the idea of not going to college. Without a degree he'll find it hard to find a job flipping burgers.

I missed the last 30 minutes of the Chelsea game yesterday. I had to pick up my dsaughter from dance class! Aaaahhh, the joys of parenthood! We had the game live on ESPN. Tell your hubby than we also have the 'Fox Soccer Channel' now. Regular premmiership games including some live! No lower division games though. I try to follow Brentford but it's not easy here.
    [/quote]

I don't think keeping your UK bank account active is useless......we still have a few Brit credit cards...and our Bank account....and we've been here 5 years...a better way to pick up your credit again if you have to go back to the UK.......my family use it to put in money for our kids for Christmas and birthdays.....

Florida Savvy
    I would suggest holding on to some UK property which will give you the most options. If it is possible to buy a smaller house (perhaps with a friend or relative) that can be a rental property while you are in Florida in the event you decide to return to the UK.

I echo the comments about insurance. It is a source of many, many problems. My mother was in hospital in Florida for a little over ten days in 2000 and the bill was over $120,000. Even with good insurance, it is very common for the health insurance carrier to attempt to get out of paying bills. Right now in Florida, there is a shameful spectacle of homeowners insurers trying to get out of paying for hurricane damage - offering five thousand on $100,000 claims. So finding a reputable insurer and recognizing that there is no "cheap insurance" are important goals.

Also, and you may know this, be aware of visa issues for your son. When he reaches 21, what will be the basis for keeping him in the US?

Florida Savvy
    Hi Again

Seminole - thanks for your post. Insurance scares me soooo much I only seem to hear of negative stories. I mean we expect to pay a lot but it seems that even with high premiums there is still a huge "excess" to pay too....

Re my son - This may sound niave (right spelling?) but our Lawyer never mentioned anything about there being a problem when he reaches 21. I will call and ask her to clarify the situation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. She did say that the O-1 visa would be for the family and not just hubby.

Oh well I guess its another sleepless night worrying about insurance ahead.......

SheilaF

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sheila, from what I can see from the US Embassy website, 0-1 visas apply for individuals for a particular event only?

Only individuals qualify for the O-1 visa category. In order for a group to qualify, each member would be required to meet the extraordinary ability test. The visa is granted for a specific event, such as a tour, lecture series or project.

Although it goes on to say that partners and children under 21 need to apply for an 0-3 visa. 0-3 visas mean that you're not allowed to work.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/ability.htm
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Like most other visas which are dependant on a parents visa, his dependants visa is only until 21 years old and then he will need to apply for his own visa, whether he change status to F1 if he is going to university, or E2 if he purchases a business.
    Cost of living == petrol and comsumer goods and restaurant meals cheaper, everything else dearer.
    Julie

Florida Savvy
    Morning All

In the letter from our Lawyer it says that the best approach is to seek permanent residence in the first employment based category - "EB-1", because this process will take several years (2-3) it is recommended that we file for the 0-1 which is a temporary visa......
    Nowhere does it say that myself and my son have to file individually nor does it refer to our son requiring an individual visa at 21.

This is something I need to confirm with our Lawyer, will keep you all informed......

Thanks a lot

SheilaF

Florida Newbie
    Best of luck with all this Sheila - I and my family are following your story with great interest, as we're likely to be going through the same thing in the not too far distant future...Please keep us posted!
    Once again, this thread demonstrates the enormous value and benefit of having access to so much collective experience and I thank the generosity of those that are prepared to share their hard-won knowledge with the rest of us.

Regards

Paul
    Over fifteen years without a slogan
    www.pauljohnsonrogers.com

Florida Savvy
    Absolutely Paul,

I always tell my husband the people on this board tell it how it is, that is why I value their opinions highly. I think its just sinking in the enormity of what lies ahead. We all desperately want to live in Florida but its a daunting road ahead.

I will keep everyone posted, fingers crossed that we can get over the first hurdle.

Best wishes

SheilaF

Florida Savvy
    Sheila, the 0 1 Visa is actually for demonstrated extraordinary accomplishment (worthy of national or international acclaim) in the arts, sciences, education, etc. Are you sure your lawyer has you applying in the correct category (don't mean to offend if you or your husband fall into the category) - it's that your comment that your husband was thinking of starting a business with your son raised the question to me.

Sheila isn't around at the moment but I can tell you that the family are applying for the right visa. Sheila will probably be along later and may tell you more herself.
    Angela