Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Made a mistake at Xmas

None of us owners want unnecessary signs spoiling the walls! However, we have to cater for all our guests some of whom may never have visited Florida before, it may even be the first time they've ventured abroad, so we have to try and cater for everybody. We have the notices displayed that we are legally obliged to (licenses etc) and a couple that the management company put up, regarding the stripping of beds on check out etc (as Steph says the cleaners need to know which beds have been used) we also have instructions for the Home theatre system, Games consoles, Plasma and even for the cable TV - not everybody has these items in their own homes and we can't expect guests to 'just know' how these items work.

The signs are to try and help all our guests wherever they come from.

We definitely don't have plastic sheets on our beds (we do have the proper mattress protectors though) and I'd be horrified if our guests had found themselves either too hot ot too cold because they couldn't adjust the heating controls.

My rule of thumb is to treat my guests how I would like to be treated and fortunately I've always had lovely guests that treat my home with respect.
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
    I totally agree Chrizzy...the last thing we want to see on here are unsubtantiated attacks at Americans, or Brits, or any other nationality. I think the question of where the owner or guest lives is totally irrelevant in the case mentioned.
    [/quote]

I take offence to that You are insulting both my nationalities by making a suggestion that I was vendictive & predudice to Americans !! Besides, I was born an American, and elected to be a Brit.

I think you got entireley the wrong end of the stick. Note I was saying that the notes were to Brits specifically! It's hard for me to remember all the references to this is different and that is different to the UK.
    It was an observation that this house in particular was nightmare with all it's rules and regs, did I not state that I have stayed in many others? In fact my sister who is American & lives in Florida could not believe the amount of signs. It was an observation that the Americans tend to over do the signs!! That's all, nothing more, wish I never mentioned it now. But hey , let them go ahead and sign everything, then wonder why people do not come back !

I said
    "But I think the one that takes the cake was aimed squarely at us Brits, describing how to use the toilet, I kid you not....Ok I know they block easy, we travel to the Florida at least twice a year"

In response to the others, who saw the post as it was intended, I too appreciate instructions on non familiar equipment, I always sign the guest books, and always take the trash out. And being a smoker, instructions on where I may smoke (which my wife likes, as I do not to smoke in any of the houses we stay in) It's much nicer to be asked to do something, rather than saying "Don't do it or your fined!"

Sheesh....

Drift.

well i would rather find a note saying where things are and what to do cos i would be very p****d off if half or more of my security deposit wasnt returned to me!!
    we had a sign on the toilet saying not to put "girlie" things down it, a note on the notice board saying when the rubbish was being emptied and when to put the bin out and get in again, this is particularly annoying when driving around the community and find the empty bins strewn around!
    And we read the welcome book, and apart from the signs for no smoking, and no diving or horseplay in the pool normal stuff which i wouldnt take offence to as i know its something to help keep me and my family safe!! and of course most is common sense which we know some people leave at home when on holiday!!!
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by drifting
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
    I totally agree Chrizzy...the last thing we want to see on here are unsubtantiated attacks at Americans, or Brits, or any other nationality. I think the question of where the owner or guest lives is totally irrelevant in the case mentioned.
    [/quote]

I take offence to that You are insulting both my nationalities by making a suggestion that I was vendictive & predudice to Americans !! Besides, I was born an American, and elected to be a Brit.

I think you got entireley the wrong end of the stick. Note I was saying that the notes were to Brits specifically! It's hard for me to remember all the references to this is different and that is different to the UK.
    It was an observation that this house in particular was nightmare with all it's rules and regs, did I not state that I have stayed in many others? In fact my sister who is American & lives in Florida could not believe the amount of signs. It was an observation that the Americans tend to over do the signs!! That's all, nothing more, wish I never mentioned it now. But hey , let them go ahead and sign everything, then wonder why people do not come back !

I said
    "But I think the one that takes the cake was aimed squarely at us Brits, describing how to use the toilet, I kid you not....Ok I know they block easy, we travel to the Florida at least twice a year"

In response to the others, who saw the post as it was intended, I too appreciate instructions on non familiar equipment, I always sign the guest books, and always take the trash out. And being a smoker, instructions on where I may smoke (which my wife likes, as I do not to smoke in any of the houses we stay in) It's much nicer to be asked to do something, rather than saying "Don't do it or your fined!"

Sheesh....

Drift.

[/quote]

The notes to Brits are not how to use the bathroom.......but to warn about the US pumbing.....something we don't have a problem with in the UK.....I would hate to block up a loo if all it took was a well placed note.........I did it in my own villa....and could of kicked myself for thinking a new loo would be any better than my old MA loo...I'm sure a note to the owners telling them about the problem you had with the wording on the notes would soon put things right......its so easy to get the wrong end of the stick....as you've just seen yourself...you did make it seems like all the notes were just for the Brits....and that from just this one problem with an American owner that all US owners must be the same....which from what I know of the people here they are not..its sometimes down to the MC to what is put on the notes....the owners may not even know about the wording..and could be very upset that you felt like you did....[msnsmile2]

Unfortunately, as much as owners would like to do away with as many signs as possible, being licensed by the same authority that licenses hotels, owners are required by law to display numerous (and I do mean numerous) signs for reasons of health and safety.

Other information signs for example explaining about USA plumbing and how easy it is to block a USA toilet are there for every guest's information, and not directed at any particular nationality.

Unfortunately as many owners will tell you, people on vacation often pack everything apart from their common sense, so a few informative signs can save a lot of hassle (and money) for everyone concerned.
    Chris & Peter

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I was just making a general comment, not specifically aimed at your posting [msnwink].

I did, however, find your comment "So for you American owners, Brits are resonably intelligent, tend to travel quite a bit (That's how you lot got there!)" a little patronising, no matter in how much wit it may have been intended. That's the problem with the written word as little things can very easily get mis-interpreted, no matter how innocently they were mentioned [msnsad].

Maybe I was being a little over-sensitive, maybe not .... at the end of the day my job (amongst other things) is to keep these forums on track and part of that involves making sure no-one makes a comment that may alienate any of our other users (which I'm not saying your comment did). It's a tough job but someone has to do it [msnsmile]

I think others have also added enough comments for you to draw the conclusion that it is almost certainly the MC and not the owner who was responsible for the notes etc etc. It's nothing to do with being a US owner or a UK owner or whatever. I know as an owner I would be horrified to find all these kind of notices in my villas without my knowledge.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Florida Newbie
    I was just making a general comment, not specifically aimed at your posting [msnwink].

I did, however, find your comment "So for you American owners, Brits are resonably intelligent, tend to travel quite a bit (That's how you lot got there!)" a little patronising, no matter in how much wit it may have been intended. That's the problem with the written word as little things can very easily get mis-interpreted, no matter how innocently they were mentioned [msnsad].

Maybe I was being a little over-sensitive, maybe not .... at the end of the day my job (amongst other things) is to keep these forums on track and part of that involves making sure no-one makes a comment that may alienate any of our other users (which I'm not saying your comment did). It's a tough job but someone has to do it [msnsmile]

I think others have also added enough comments for you to draw the conclusion that it is almost certainly the MC and not the owner who was responsible for the notes etc etc. It's nothing to do with being a US owner or a UK owner or whatever. I know as an owner I would be horrified to find all these kind of notices in my villas without my knowledge.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

On reflection I see what you mean, please all accept my apology without reservation. Do you think I should contact the owers and tell them? As if you say it is the management company, then they should really go look themselves?

Drift

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think you should let the owner know, as I said we had notes up all around our villa that we were not aware of, telling our guests that they would be fined for this, that and the other. Only to call out our managment company for emergencies or the guest would be fined, and apparently the only emergencies allowed were fire and burst pipes. We only became aware of all the notices when our new mc took over and mentioned them.[msnscared]
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Drift,
    I agree that you should definitely let the owner know how you felt. It would be very kind of you to take a few minutes to do this. None of us owners ever wants an unhappy guest. We always want feedback because we are constantly striving to make everything perfect and your comments will be well received. Most owners really take comments to heart and then take action accordingly!

When we first visited the US I have to admit that I had no idea that US plumbing was any different from ours. Of course I now know better, but that does not mean I was stupid - it just had never been on my list of 'must do's' to check up on the plumbing.

However, having stood by a loo which was rising up over the edge like a mini Vesuvius, and not being able to do a thing about it, it certainly IS one of the things we tell guests about - in a humerous way. We also provide a 'convenient' plunger should circumstances arise. [msnwink] It is certainly not meant to be patronising, and is aimed at saving our guests from being up to their necks in muck and bullets.

And even if you DO know all about American plumbing it still can happen - as I know from an agitated call from my daughter last year when despite all the times she has been in the US she managed to flood her bathroom in her new apartment!

When we rented our first villa there were notices around the place, and I must admit we found them all very helpful - especially the one about air conditioning for instance - we certainly don't have that at home, so we did not realise how easy it is to freeze the unit. I also avidly read through their information file which was very useful. We have tried to make our own as humerous and light hearted and readable as possible, and it is always commented on favourably.

I am sorry to hear about the pool heat - if you had paid for it then it certainly should have been up to temperature - although that can be difficult in very cold weather. It does sound as if the MC should have been more helpful.

So, once again it seems that everyone is different. Some have their holidays spoilt by a few notices, others find them helpful and add to their comfort and enjoyment. Its the old adage really, you can't please all of the people all of the time!

ellie