Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official: women overpack for holidays

wrpac00

It's official: women overpack for holidays

Men have long been bemused by the amount of clothes women cram into suitcases when going on holiday.

Now a survey has confirmed what they always suspected - half the garments are never worn.

A leading psychologist, however, said that over-packing shouldn't be seen as a fault as it shows women's ability to plan for every eventuality.

In contrast, men tend to pack too little. A quarter of men admitted they often forgot vital items such as electric razors or cameras.

The survey found that, on average, women taking a 14-night summer break packed 21 pairs of knickers but five pairs would remain unworn.

They would also pack nine bras and use only five and, out of the six pairs of shoes they take, ignore three.

A third of women even admitted packing a waterproof jacket when heading for a beach resort - 'just in case'.

Sixty per cent of women conceded they wore half the clothes they took with them. In some cases, this meant packing an extra suitcase of unused outfits.

Half of men owned up to often arriving at their holiday destination to find they had forgotten something important. The survey was commissioned by P&O Cruises to establish a better understanding of the habits of UK holidaymakers.

The item most regularly left behind was a toothbrush, with a third forgetting theirs.

A quarter of men also admitted packing too few clothes, with socks being the most commonly forgotten item.

Those who fell into this category said they had resorted to washing their underwear in hotel sinks. The difference between the sexes could be down to the length of time they spend packing. Women, on average, said they began packing for holidays a week in advance, while 90 per cent of men don't even think about it until the day before.

Cary Cooper, professor of organisational psychology at Lancaster University, said women packed too many clothes because they had greater foresight than men.

'Women are planners and they look at every eventuality,' he said. 'They are also likely to think 'better to be safe than sorry.' And what's wrong with packing too much? It's better than packing too little.

'A typical woman will think 'What about if we go to a nice place for dinner - I'll have to pack for that. What if it rains - I'll have to pack for that.'

'Women repeatedly demonstrate more foresight and are more thoughtful. This is because traditionally women are used to being the 'chief executives' of the home.

'As a general rule, men just do stuff on the spur of the moment. Invariably, it will be the man who is left without a smart outfit for a posh night out.'

Guys, tell me this does not come as a suprise.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I agree totally Paul, except the "6 pairs of shoes" bit. I NEED every pair of the 20 I take [msnwink]
    Rosie

Gold 5 Star Member
    I can vouch for usually taking too much.[msnoo]

I can also agree with the men forgetting things, three males in my house and they usually all forget something.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    Actually, it is only partly true in my family. I gradually pick out what I want to take on a long holiday at least a week in advance, but aim to travel light - which I am able to do because of this careful selection. My wife on the other hand, does not start packing until 48 hours before departure and then hurriedly crams so much in that she ends up with around 3 times of what's actually required.

In recent years though, I have come up with a simple solution which works admirably. I have told my wife that SHE has to lug around everything that she packs for a holiday...no ifs or buts about it. After realising that I really mean it and simply could not be budged from my resolve, she's come around to my way of travelling. [8D][8D]
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah

I can also agree with the men forgetting things, [msnsmile2]
    [/quote]

Not always true. I seldom forget anything that I need (apart from my all important electric shaver [msnembarrased])
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah

I can also agree with the men forgetting things, [msnsmile2]
    [/quote]

Not always true. I seldom forget anything that I need (apart from my all important electric shaver [msnembarrased])
    [/quote]

SO that proves the theory then Nostromo.[msnwink][msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm hoping not to pack after the next few trips.....I'm just buying clothes and leaving them at the house......I have to take a lot of clothes for the next few trips because I wrap up all the things in them that I'm taking to the FL house from my MA house......

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Only a man would state the obvious

Yeh and I do wear the 30 pairs of shoes I take and use the matching handbags

Mr CDV used to slag me off for taking all sorts until the day when he said to me "do you have any blah blah" which naturally I did have. Now he asks for a copy of my packing list. I use an excel spread sheet and delete cells as I have packed the item..sad I know but it works[msneek]
    CDV

lol.......

i do all the packing for me and hubby and Lauren, but i forgot to pack his 1 and only pair yes 1 pair of trainers so he had to wear the 1 pair yes 1 pair of shoes for a few days till he found some new ones that he liked!!

and i always pack stuff that dont get used!!! so annoying thought i had not packed enough last time! but there was loads that didnt get used![msnwink]
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    Half of men owned up to often arriving at their holiday destination to find they had forgotten something important.
    [/quote]

The wife?
    Steve