Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone in Orlando.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steve.link
    I have used my O2 phone in Florida but it was extremely expensive. You can reduce the cost by using ITS (International Traveller Service)

http://www.o2.co.uk/personal/abroad/...0,,133,00.html

I did some reserch into an American mobile and found the cheapest option was to take a UK Triband phone with you and then simply buy a pay as you go simm card in Florida.

I did locate one for $40 (with $25 of calls that didn't expire for a year) but I cannot recollect the name. The advantage of this, is that if you visit at least once a year you can keep the same number. We are going over for a week on Sunday 13th Feb - I will find the simm card provider and let you know.

[/quote]
    Forgot to mention they did tell me I would have to make sure my Phone Searched out the USA net work I wanted - either Cingular or T-Mobile, the instructions on how to do this are in my hand
    book.[msnscared]
    [/quote]

If you set your phone to find network automatically it does just that - when you switch your phone on in USA it searches for the best signal.
    I do it with my virgin phone - and if I can do anyone can [msnwink]
    [/quote]
    Julie

Florida Junior
    This is a bit unrelated... but... I don't know the restrictions on going from one country to the next, but how does it really work?

Example: I use Nextel, and if I went to the UK (I don't think they have Nextel) would my phone even work?

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by search66
    This is a bit unrelated... but... I don't know the restrictions on going from one country to the next, but how does it really work?

Example: I use Nextel, and if I went to the UK (I don't think they have Nextel) would my phone even work?
    [/quote]

The phone searches for the local compatible network and logs on to it. I am with Orange in the UK, but it logged on to all sorts of local networks depending on where I was at the time. I have used it without problems in varied places like Cambodia, St.Vincent &the Grenadines and Finnish Lapland. I could not even pronounce the names of some of those networks!
    Nostromo

Florida Junior
    This is a website our kids use when they need to contact us when we are out in Cyprus.
    http://www.telediscount.co.uk
    you select the country that you wish to call and it gives you two numbers, one landline and one mobile and all you do is phone the number shown, before the number you require. At the moment it is showing 2p a min for landline and 2p a min for mobile.
    The link hopefully will not be edited out(no villa competition)if it is and your require address please DM me
    Hope this is of use
    Kev

Gold 5 Star Member
    We actually bought a Virgin P&G mobile from Walmart while we were out there in July last year!!

Only cost about £30 and came with $10 on it!!

You can top up online, by voucher or automatically every 90 days.

Calls are really cheap!!

60c per minute for the first 10 mins of the day
    then
    40c per minute after that!!

Much better than using your UK Mobile to phone back home!!

Makes sense for us owning a villa as we can still take booking etc while we are on holiday.
    Andrew & Diane Moore

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have a Cingular Pay as you Go. Calls cost 35c daytime and 10c evening/weekend within the area in which phone is registered. Min payment US$20 every 3 months. If required I can use a phonecard from phone to call UK or out of area USA calls.

Bear in mind that on USA cell phones you pay for incoming calls as well as outgoing calls.

If you want to use your mobile there are services that allow local calls where you text the number you want and the system dials it and calls you back so you just pay for a local text call. You need to pay to join this service and since I travel abit on business it works well for me.
    Dave [msnsmile2]

Nextel works on vodaphone network in england without any problems. You cannot use theb direct connect facility yet (something I really miss).

[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Nextel works on vodaphone network in england without any problems. You cannot use theb direct connect facility yet (something I really miss).

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    Direct connect? What is this? Please explain

Harry

You can use rhe phone as a two way radio, it is fantatsic. Works accross the country. I have been in NY and speaking to my wife in Kissimmee, crystal clear. One monthly fee and no minute charge.
    They are bringing it out here in the UK but they will be chargin g by the minute (typical UK rip off). Hopefully it will go to a set fee one day.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Harry and Jayne
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    Direct connect? What is this? Please explain

Harry
    [/quote]