Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

View Poll Results: Blood Donors

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I donate regularly (every 4 months)

13 36.11%
  • when I can (6-12 months)

12 33.33%
  • Its something I''ve always wanted to do but never got round to it

6 16.67%
  • I have no wish to donate

3 8.33%
  • It is against my religion

0 0%
  • I have recently had a baby/tattoo/piercing but would donate after 12 month waiting period is up

1 2.78%
  • I have received a transfusion that helped save my life and now donate

0 0%
  • Never thought about it

1 2.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Donors

Florida Chatterbox
    Chrissy you are absolutely right, when we moved to Southern Ireland a few years ago, Liam went to donate and was told that they didn't want it for the very same reasons you cannot donate there. He was really miffed!!!![msnmad][}]

Although must be honest and say, we haven't been vey pro-active since returning to the UK, the 6% really makes you think.
    Sandie & Liam

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1411.aspx

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I always used to go twice a year before I had the kids, but have never got round to it since. My daughter now gives every 4 months but I am now so nervous of needles and have terrible trouble with veins (or the lack of them) that it makes me feel faint just thinking about it. I do feel guilty though[msnsad]
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    I started in 1989 and try to go as often as I can, although sometimes this isn't as often as I'd like due to travel and time committments. I got a badge from them a couple of years ago but I can't remember if it was the bronze or silver one.

A really good friend of mine is a nurse and she did a stint with the blood transfusion service. When she first started she used us all as human crash test dummies to practice finding veins. We'd have many a happy evening in her living room being swabbed and needled.
    Steve

Florida Expert
    I donate every four months. My veins like to stay well hidden but they always manage to find one and I donate with no problem.

Very sad to read that only 6% of the population donate!
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    I donated for over 10 years but can't anymore for medical reasons [msnsad]
    Rosie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    if you're English you can't donate blood in the USA.....
    [/quote]

I did not know that. Why? Does it apply only to English people for some strange historical reason or all non-Americans?
    [/quote]

I was told its because of mad cow......so it would be anyone who has moved to the USA where there has been mad cow.......
    [/quote]

Mad Cow? C'mon. They can't be serious.....that's Crazy! (If you'll forgive the pun). People in the UK still donate blood within the country and we are not exactly infested with CJD are we?
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's true though, it's because of CJD.

At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if, since 1980, you :
    * Spent a total time of 3 months or more in any of these countries:
    England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or

* Spent a total time of 6 months or more in any combination of these countries:
    Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Boznia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, # Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)

# Received insulin derived from cattle (bovine) from any of the countries listed above

# Received a blood transfusion in any of these countries:
    England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands

http://www.redcross.org/services/bio...0_557_,00.html
    blott

was told i cant as i have high blood pressure and take medication daily, also the arthritis take medication daily, would have been quite happy to give it but was told i couldnt!
    hubby Steve gives regularly and is Anthony Nolan bone marrow register, but he is a fainter!!! always has but has overcome it slightly since giving blood, hes a big bloke and feels so stupid cos he faints! we had to go to the hospital together once for blood test i was 7- 8 months pregnant and fine he was well fine after they picked him up off the floor, now they make him lay down anywhere if he has to give blood for whatever reason!!
    so i couldnt vote!!![msnwink]
    Both A positive, and steve gives every 3 months ... my hero!

Liesa

Florida Expert
    I too may be a mad cow!

Last year the blood transfusion service decided if you had received a transfusion during a certain time period in the UK you may carry CJD and therefore you cannot donate any more. They must have lost a lot of donor this way and therefore must need a lot more

I still owe about 8 pints. I'd have loved to have paid them back.

Thank you very much to all you donors - some of us wouldn't be here without your generousity.
    Jo

Gold 5 Star Member
    I try to donate every six months but for many reasons not always possible. It is a good feeling knowing that you are helping others to recover.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah