Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: My trip, Day 6—Discovery Cove

Florida Savvy

My trip, Day 6—Discovery Cove

Well, we all went to bed last night hoping that when today came it was going to be completely different than yesterday when it rained.
    We had booked Discovery Cove a year ago, and we would have been gutted if it had been raining all day..
    but i think the Gods were smiling on us, as we woke up to another fantastic morning. Breakfast at 8am in our canteen and then off to discovery Cove. Two years ago, me, helen, mum and dad came here and and me and helen swam with the dolphins. So this time me and helen paid for mum and dad to swim as an xmas present from last year. And how they had been looking forward to it!
    If anyone hasnt never been here, i would so highly recommend it. Not only is it a really relaxing day, but the whole park is like nothing els ein florida, it is like being on a caribbean island with white sand, the dolphin pool, and massive bird aviary, and the snorkling pool where you can snorkle with tropical fish and stingrays (and sharks and barracudas behind a big glass screen!)
    Once in the entrance hall we all had to have our photo taken and put onto one of the ID card that you have to carry. then it was out into the park, with a quick pause for a photo

and then it was off to get ourwetsuits!
    I love wearing a wetsuit and so did most of us, but noone was willing to pose for any photos for me, as they do have a habit of showing all of the lumps and bumps a person may have!
    But once we were all suited up, it was straight into the water to get ourselves wet and our snorkling gear set up, and then it was into the (freezing) pool with the fish. This is brilliant, i spent a good few hours here just swimming and looking at the various fish. The stingrays are big creatures, some of the biggest ones must have been a god metre accross. But they are harmless and just swim around you, as do the fish, sometime you think you can get a touch of them, and reach out, but the just swim that little bit away from you and you dont get to touch them.

After a while me and helen decided to wander around the bird aviary for a while. This is great as it is divided into a few sections, and there are different birds in each section. Also, in each bit is an employee who dishes out food to you for the birds in little plastic bowls. If you hold your hand out with the food, chances ar a bird will come and land on your arm and start having its lunch!
    also in there they have two small deer. I think they are sisters, but they are still quite timid, even thoughthey have been hand reared but if you are lucky you might see them.

At half 11 it was time for the dolphin swim. We all went over to the little huts and watched the brief introduction and video on dolphins, and they were ready to swim. Mum and caron had said that they were a little nervous about getting into the water with the dolphins at first as they are big and powerful. but as soon as they got into the water they were fine. the dolphins give off such a sense of calm and friendship that is is hard to be scard of them.
    They were in the water for a good halfhour and they each got to spend a little time with the dolphins and a swim back to the main group before the dolphins give a quick somersault display.

after this we decided it was time for our complimentary lunch. WE had a great choice of food. and for the first time in my life i was beaten by a piece of chocolate cake! Although in my defence it was such a big piece, it would have been enough to feed a small country.
    We had another quick swim and later on the afternoon it got a little cloudy, so we decided that it was time to leave and do msomething else.
    so we went back to our hotel and had a few hours relaxing and then went to downtown disney again for the evening.
    one of Helens other sister and her husband had just flown out on a last minute week long break, and the

Really enjoying your reports, can imagine being there. Love the photos that go with it as well, now exactly what you mean about pics wearing wetsuits. Next year I will be swimming with the dolphinf for the first time and only this morning I was saying to a workmate that I was dreading putting on the wetsuit, would look an awful sight.
    Jan

Florida Savvy
    Glad to hear you are enjoying them, sometimes i feel like a but funny writing them up, but then everyone says they love them, and it is ok!

I have 350 odd photos to sift through, so you guys are only getting the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.
    I use the top setting for my photos, so they are too large to fit on the forums, but luckily i have photoshop at work to reduce the file sizes! but i am not going to do it for all of them as it would takes me ages......
    maybe a few of the better ones i will put into the photo gallery when i have finished my trip reports....watch this space!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Great report - it brought back memories of our day with the Dolphins in October.

One tip - never be vain on what size you are when choosing a wet suit, it can lead to some very embarrasing situations![msnembarrased]Bigger is definitely better!
    Lesley

Awwwwwwww... great report.

We've done the dolphin interraction twice, once in Key West Stadium at Sea World and once at Discovery Cove.

It is something we will return to again and again, as dolphins are just too wonderful for words.

So pleased you had such a great day.
    Chris & Peter

what a lovely day!!!
    thanks for sharing this with us!!
    Liesa

P.S. Forgot to mention... great photos BTW. Looking forward to lots more
    Chris & Peter

Florida Chatterbox
    really enjoying the trip reports keep them coming.
    karen

Florida Expert
    Yes, your reports are very good and the pictures are great!! Keep em coming.
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    We are all lucky w/this warm weather in Florida now- I hope it keeps up as we are scheduled for DC on Dec 24th, and so glad I booked it now that I read your report. Praying for more warm weather!