Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any teachers out there?

Florida Newbie

Any teachers out there?

Hi, hope this is the correct place, this is my first posting and as there are so many boards on here I haven't had time to look at them all yet!! here goes ;
    I am trying to get to live permanently in Florida through the teaching and a H1B visa. Has anyone gone on this route? or does anyone know how I could get this sponsorship. I know all abut the visa requirements etc. its the actual getting hired / sponsorship that I need. I have already written to 20 counties educational departments to no avail.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by megasue
    Hi, hope this is the correct place, this is my first posting and as there are so many boards on here I haven't had time to look at them all yet!! here goes ;
    I am trying to get to live permanently in Florida through the teaching and a H1B visa. Has anyone gone on this route? or does anyone know how I could get this sponsorship. I know all abut the visa requirements etc. its the actual getting hired / sponsorship that I need. I have already written to 20 counties educational departments to no avail.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Sue
    [/quote]

I know someone on a different forum is trying the same thing.....maybe if I give you a link you can get together......

Florida Newbie
    If this is the same Chrizzy (spelt differently) as on Florida days then it's me! If not, yes please that would be helpful

Gold 5 Star Member
    If this is the same Chrizzy (spelt differently) as on Florida days then it's me! If not, yes please that would be helpful
    [/quote]

Did I send you the link to here for rentals.......LOL!

I lost a lot of my links when I reformatted the other week....but there are other forums out there with info about moving to the USA..........I just don't have then to hand anymore.....I'll see if I still have the e-mails from any of them.....

Florida Newbie
    Hi Sue The senior school where I work had a maths teacher leave to teach and live in Florida two years ago. The school was a private fee paying school. He was single with no ties and was able to go very quickly. He even had a interview by e mail I think.
    We also had a teacher (femail) leave the same year to teach science in the US but not Florida. She got the job through an agency that advertise for overseas teachers.
    Good luck with your search....Dorothy

Gold 5 Star Member
    I know someone who got a jon as a drama techer with a private performing arts school so it can be done. I have to say one way may be to come out for a few weeks and then find some schools in your desired area that do your subject and ring around, very difficult to do it by remote control.
    Then comes the problem of the H1B, I heard they had all gone for 2005 and is your prospective employer going to wait that long??
    Julie

Florida Expert
    If you do get out there to teach you need to be aware that the US may not recognise your qualification.

I will explain the UK system as you may encounter similar issues in the USA

The UK does not automatically give Qualified Teacher Status to overseas trained teachers ( except from the EC where we don't have a choice) A teacher from the USA, say,would have to prove that they were teaching to the required standards in the UK and had appropriate curriculum knowledge before they get QTS. Until then, assuming they can get a job , they will only be paid at the unqualifed rate - which is a very poor rate.

Schools in the UK will only employ an overseas trained teacher if they cannot find a UK qualified ones. It is the more challenging schools that emply unqualified/ overseas teachers - which may not be where you would choose to work.

Also in the UK you can only get a work permit once you have a job and then it is a lengthy process for the LEA to prove they could not fill the vacancy by any other means.

Secondary trained teachers would find it easier to find work in the UK - I strongly suspect this is the case too in the USA.

You may do better to look at individual vacancies in schools rather than go via the Education Department.

I hope you manage to make it - but it may be harder than you think.

Good Luck
    Jo

Florida Expert
    My wife is an Ohio registered teacher. She used to teach 6th grade science. The reason she's not teaching here in Florida is the lousy pay. She'd make 42k in Ohio. The same post here in Florida pays around 24k. If you want to make a reasnable living as a teacher in the USA, live north of Tennessee!
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for your replies.
    A few things to think about here.
    I have already had my qualifications assessed and am able to teach in Florida, but the higher amount of money in other states is something to consider. Did manage to get to one of those 'emigrate to US' days in manchester last week and got to speak to someone who does recruiting for Polk county which was quite helpful.
    Thanks for your advice,
    Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks for your replies.
    A few things to think about here.
    I have already had my qualifications assessed and am able to teach in Florida, but the higher amount of money in other states is something to consider. Did manage to get to one of those 'emigrate to US' days in manchester last week and got to speak to someone who does recruiting for Polk county which was quite helpful.
    Thanks for your advice,
    Sue
    [/quote]

Sometimes you get more money in other States.....but the cost of living is a lot highter too.........