Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lanai

Florida Savvy

lanai

Can anyone clarify the exact meaning of 'lanai'? Does the term imply that the area is covered, i.e. would I be repeating myself by saying 'covered lanai'?

Thanks in anticipation
    Adrian Matthews

http://www.villasflorida.com/villaview.asp?villa=392

I have always assumed lanai was our equivalent of a patio. It appears to be a concrete / brick area immediately outside a house. Unless someone is going to tell me otherwise???
    Fiona

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    When we bought our villa there was an option for a Lanai - this was a covered extension to the pool area so I guess covered lanai would be stating it twice!

It's a Hawaiian word for a roofed porch or patio. We paid extra to have one of these put over our decking to give extra shade.

Kerry

Gold 5 Star Member
    Covered porch is the way it was explained on our house plans too so covered lanai should read just lanai.
    blott

Florida Savvy
    Thanks for the feedback. Upon further reflection I'm considering dropping the use of the term completely. Do Americans generally know what it means, because I'm sure it's lost on the vast majority of Brits.
    Adrian Matthews

http://www.villasflorida.com/villaview.asp?villa=392

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well, I use lanai in our home description and never had anyone ask what it is yet! So, either they all know or they don't know and didn't like to ask... but I get to know most of my guests quite well and I'm sure they'd ask if they didn't understand what it meant.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    Lakul is right

The word came from Hawaii's sixth largest island named Lana'i it is of the coast of Maui and is home to just over 3000 people

This was once a very densely populated Island and when walking into the vegetation from the beach it blocked out the sun hence the name for a covered space became known as a LANA’I

It is now a home for the rich. The majority of that lush vegetation was cut down many years ago and it became one of the highest producing Pineapple regions until recently. It is once again trying to find itself with conservation groups trying to get it back to how it once was.

How many years will pass when they realise they are doing the same to Florida and try to get it back

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by villainthesun
    Thanks for the feedback. Upon further reflection I'm considering dropping the use of the term completely. Do Americans generally know what it means, because I'm sure it's lost on the vast majority of Brits.

[/quote]

No, Americans don't generally use this word. Also the term covered porch would be overkill, as a porch always has a roof. If you don't want to use the term Lanai, try "covered patio", or "covered pool deck", or even "veranda". Those would likely make more sense to most Americans.
    Teresa

Gold 5 Star Member
    The first time I heard the term "lanai" was on the programme The Golden Girls, Blanche was forever saying she'd be out on the lanai.
    Sarah