Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: photos and memory

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Joolz
    So tell me about this flash track device... hwo much? where from ? will it work with a canonn Powershot A80 ?
    [/quote]

Right. The best UK price that I found is £279 including VAT for a 20Gb device - at Digital First. Easy to find them through Google; then click on the search menu and type Flashtrax - you'll be there. Digital First are very good with extra 12 months no-cost warranty, good customer service etc.

It works with any modern digital camera.
    Nostromo

I don't think it is expensive to download photographs to CD's in Walmart or Walgreens - less than $10? The other thing is that with the power on X-ray machines turned right back up in the US there may be issues of memory cards being corrupted by going through them. I don't know how much of an urban legend this is, but I have a shielded case for my CF cards just in case. I think that CD Rom would be a more stable medium in this case. Here is a link for the Flashtrax, quite cool looking:

http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Di.../FlashTrax.asp

However it could again be a case of all your eggs in one basket if you downloaded all your photos to it and its hard disk failed.

Florida Expert
    Please look after yor photographs.We have just had guests who threw their films in the rubbish by mistake.They rang me as soon as they got back,but the trash collectors had been.
    As this was their first visit,they were distraught! The only good thing is that they are now saving like mad to go again.
    We also took friends who took masses of photos and not one came out.This was also their first time ,but they had such a good time that they have been yearly since

When we were in Orlando last, everytime I got a full memory card, we poped into Walgreens on the way to Denny for breakfast, and had a set of pictures printed off and a set burned to disk to bring home.

All came out and fine and if I remember correctly at a very good price too. By the time we finshed breakfast the photos were ready and I had them in albums before we flew home!

[msnsmile2]

Florida Chatterbox
    Nostromo has the right idea

I use an Archos 20Gb GMini 220, about 1/3 the size of the Smartdisk with a greyscale screen, around £200 from most places.

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/l060114

Good points are small size, built in mp3 player/recorder (over 300 hours!) and a built-in compact flash card socket to read my microdrives directly to it's hard disk, very handy as my next camcorder will be one of the new JVC's which use 4Gb microdrives instead of tape

Bad points, battery life is around 5 to 6 hours MP3 playback so not enough for the flight to Florida and the greyscale screen isn't much use for viewing photos but it's good enough to make sure they're OK.

As for the X-Ray scanners, the ones which can be a problem are the hold luggage scanners, these have had their output power increased at least twice since 9/11 making sensitive EEProm & flash memory more prone to damage, this is the memory which holds the operating software for your camera/laptop/gameboy etc. rather than removeable storage like SD, MMC, Memory Stick or CF cards.

Best place for anything like this is in your hand luggage, there's no way I would put our cameras & camcorder in our hold luggage, even if they're X-Ray safe the amount of posts about baggage theft is enough to put me off the idea!.
    Jeff

Florida Chatterbox
    I always save mine on memory card and bring them home but it is certainly a good idea to have a few cards and swop them around a bit so you are sure of some good piccies. I dropped my camera down the loo in Memphis - whoops !!but was pleased that the memory card was ok plus I had photos on another
    card.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by phaedra

I use an Archos 20Gb GMini 220, about 1/3 the size of the Smartdisk with a greyscale screen, around £200 from most places.

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/l060114

Good points are small size, built in mp3 player/recorder (over 300 hours!) and a built-in compact flash card socket to read my microdrives directly to it's hard disk, very handy as my next camcorder will be one of the new JVC's which use 4Gb microdrives instead of tape

Bad points, battery life is around 5 to 6 hours MP3 playback so not enough for the flight to Florida and the greyscale screen isn't much use for viewing photos but it's good enough to make sure they're OK.

Best place for anything like this is in your hand luggage, [/quote]

Thanks Phaedra. The colour screen of the Flashtrax gives brilliant previews, much better than my camera's LCD monitor. Also, it is very compact (as I said, not much bigger than a pack of cards) and comes in its own case. It can be very easily carried in one's hand luggage, a lady's handbag or even in one's jacket pocket. The battery life seems to be good too, but since it is more often than not used in the privacy of one's home or hotel to download or upload pictures, you can use the handy mains cable.
    Nostromo

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by phaedra

As for the X-Ray scanners, the ones which can be a problem are the hold luggage scanners, these have had their output power increased at least twice since 9/11 making sensitive EEProm & flash memory more prone to damage, this is the memory which holds the operating software for your camera/laptop/gameboy etc. rather than removeable storage like SD, MMC, Memory Stick or CF cards.

Best place for anything like this is in your hand luggage, there's no way I would put our cameras & camcorder in our hold luggage, even if they're X-Ray safe the amount of posts about baggage theft is enough to put me off the idea!.
    [/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that point, I can't remember where I had heard or read of the problem so I didn't know how reliable the info was.

Gold 5 Star Member
    If anyone is worried about memory cards etc, I always put them inside a film bag. Something
    I always did with my films anyway. Never had a problem
    Chrisj