Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: US Easter Traditions

Florida Expert

US Easter Traditions

We're going to Florida at Easter for the first time in 2003. I've heard it is a much bigger celebration than in the UK. So has anyone been - what can we expect?
    Does Disney do anything special that we must not miss?

Thanks

Angela
    Angela

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    We too will be in Orlando Easter 2003, can anyone tell us what to expect please? Should we hide chocolate eggs round the garden/yard, won't they melt? and dress up in a rabbit/bunny suit?

Sarah

Florida Newbie
    We have been in Florida the last 2 Easters, and it is very different. There aren't any easter eggs to be had! The shops have cuddly easter bunnys, baskets, flowers and plastic eggs like the Kinder ones, I assume you put some small gift in and place in the basket.
    I think the churches do a lot, but we've never been, and looking at local newspapers and info there were local small parks with Easter Egg hunts etc. We didn't go to any of these, I thought they'd be local were everyone knew each other.
    I didn't notice any concession to easter on any of the major theme parks, but they were much busier.
    Michelle
    always sunny

Florida Expert
    The Easter eggs (hardboiled of course) you have to buy and color yourself. But i think at Publix you can buy them already colored. Do they do this in the Uk?
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I remember decorating an egg at primary school, but I would not say it was a tradition. Here in the UK we munch through large hollow chocolate Easter eggs that have other sweets or chocolates inside.

Sarah

Florida Newbie
    Coloured eggs, that reminded me that my Grandma used to boil and colour the eggs at easter. She also used to talk about egg rolling or races that they would have on Easter Sunday, and I think there are still some Easter bonnet competitions in the UK.
    As soon as Christmas is over a supermarket aisle is turned over to Easter, mostly filled with chocolate eggs of one kind or another. Anywhere from £1 to £40 for a chocolate egg.
    Michelle
    always sunny

Florida Chatterbox

Having been adopted into a nice CA neighbourhood since we arrived from the UK, we have had the chance to experience a version of Easter USA style.

This has been in the form of a brunch where everyone has brought something edible to contribute towards the brunch. We talk and eat. Afterwards brunch there is an easter egg hunt (the plastic coloured eggs filled with candy or small toys). The filled eggs are hidden in the garden (some are very obvious for the little kids to find) All the children have an easter basket and are then sent to find as many eggs as they can. It is really nice to see the little ones finding the eggs and then discovering what is inside them.

There are also a lot of Easter decorations available for home and garden.

My mother took a load of the plastic eggs back to the UK with her so that they can do the egg hunt at home. I think it is a fun thing to do.

You can find Easter Eggs in the USA (if you look hard enough), but normally they are Cadbury's ones imported from Canada. You can also get them from British Food Stores around the place (but pricy). Beware of Cadbury Chocolate in the USA, much to my disappointment I found that a lot of it is made under licence in the USA by Hershey's. (Yuk! IMHO)

--Kay

Florida Savvy
    I thought I'd bring this thread up to the top as we are going this Easter.
    Will there be any problems at customs if we bring easter eggs (chocolate ones)? Do we have to declare them?
    hmmm Cadbury's mini eggs should be quite portable!

In our house I do a treasure hunt with clues round our garden and eggs at the end.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Chocolate will be fine. Just be aware of the outside temperature on the day and that the garden might not be an appropriate place as the chocolate might melt! Best to keep it inside the pool net screen too in case of pests.

Here's some other Easter/April activities from Orlando Event Guide.

Disney's Easter Parade. Easter Week. The Magic Kingdom Park hosts an Easter Parade with floats, live performances, and Disney characters. For more information call (407) 824-4321.

Spring Fiesta at Lake Eola. Early April. Outdoor fun and family activities draw over 50,000 Central Floridians to Lake Eola for live entertainment and a wide range of vendors--from jewelry to jelly, painting to pottery and kitchen items to kitsch items. Located at Lake Eola, Rosalind Avenue (between Central Boulevard and Robinson Street). For more information call (321) 281-2085.

International Fringe Festival. Mid April. Hundreds of theatrical performances, at various outdoor and indoor locations in Downtown Orlando. For more information call (407) 648-0077.

Fiesta Medina. Mid April. This one day festival celebrates the Latin American heritage! Between 12,000 and 15,000 people attend the festival which features national and international entertainers, arts & crafts, authentic Latin food, and a children's carnival. For more information call (321) 281-2085.

International Flower and Garden Festival. Mid April-May. Featuring flower and garden displays representing the international themes of Epcot's World Showcase. For more information contact (407) 824-4321.

Orlando-UCF Shakespeare Festival. All throughout April. Two Shakespearean works are performed during the month by professional actors, located at Lake Eola Park. For more information call (407) 648-0077.

JazzFest Kissimmee. Late April. Featuring professional and amateur jazz musicians, art exhibits, food and more in this two day event located in Kissimmee's Lakefront Park. For more information call (407) 846-6257.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by athurstance

We're going to Florida at Easter for the first time in 2003. I've heard it is a much bigger celebration than in the UK. So has anyone been - what can we expect?
    Does Disney do anything special that we must not miss?

Thanks

Angela
    I don't think Easters so big here......no Good Friday....or Easter Monday......just the Easter Bunny....not that I'm a church person....but I find Easter over and done with very quickly in the USA....we do up our house all month with eggs and bunnies..... I think we are the only people in our steet to do that......I would think Disney would do something for Easter.....and we did find real Easter eggs in our local supermarket for the first time last year......