Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car hire for the disabled

On a similar topic.
    I have friends who have a UK disabled badge for their car.
    They are in Orlando in May, do you think that it will work in the US.

thanks
    paul
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1470.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by 50sumtng
    On a similar topic.
    I have friends who have a UK disabled badge for their car.
    They are in Orlando in May, do you think that it will work in the US.

thanks
    [/quote]It did for me Paul. But they need to hang it up over their rear view mirrow - a couple of paper clips and a rubber band should do it. [msnwink] Or they can get a US one by taking their blue badge to the local county tax office, together with photo ID and pay $15 (lasts for six months if they're staying for a long period).
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have driven for the last 5 visits I have had in Orlando.

I have always used dollar cars and quite often they have had the car ready and equipped with hand controls for me. (I stress this is not Roger's fault-just the gremlins that get in the way.)

I have driven a stratus(intermediate) and intrepid (full)-both cars I liked very much-but sadly as the intrepid is not being made any more-it is no longer part of the fleet.

On this last visit I had paid for an intrepid and was given a taurus.

I do not like this car. I don't feel the door opens wide enough to allow someone who cannot walk to transfer from their chair-Also it comes with a gear stick on the wheel. As I have never used this system before-I didn't feel confident to drive one away.

Dollar gave me a Chrysler 300(luxury) at no extra charge. To me it was as big as a tank-and after almost being wiped off the face of the earth-because I drove in front of another car I hadn't seen-I settled down with it-and thought it was wonderful.

So that appears to be your choice at the moment if you wish to drive.

Cars where the wheelchair passanger stays seated in their chair-are phenomenally expensive-but if that is what is needed (they cost a huge amount to adapt in the UK also) then that is what they must have.

I believe there is a company called rainbow wheels.

I always take my blue badge and have just left it on the dash board-and it's been fine.
    Orlandobabe