Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security

Florida Junior

Security

My wife heard this from another Mum at our kids school.

The other Mum was supposed to be in Florida at this time, but the US security check took a turn for the worst.

Apparently at security/immigration the husband was asked if he had ever been arrested. He replied No. The question was repeated again, and he again replied No. He was then arrested, in front of the family, and spent the night alone in a cell. The Mum and kids spent the night in the airport. Very distressed!

Apparently, the Husband had been arrested when he was just 17, for something or nothing - 25+ years ago.

It's all a little sketchy as the story is a little third-hand, but the situation was apparently caused or linked, to the incorrect filling in of one of the forms you get on the plane. I didn't really believe it as it sounds a little over-the-top, but the thing is, they are home early and should be there now, and in this scarey 'climate', nothing is too unbelievable really...

That's a little scary if it's true!

Anyone else heard anything like this?

How do they know these things?

Perhaps that is what all this machine readable passport requirement is all about - swapping of information between countries? Perhaps linked to your police record?
    (No not "Walking on the Moon" before someone mentions ... [msnsmile2])

Colin

Gold 5 Star Member
    Chances are when the passenger details were sent ahead, as they now are, something was pulled up on file somewhere.

Wayne Rooneys girlfriend was stopped coming back through customs and landed with a £20,000 bill for attempting to evade duty on her recent trip to New York. According to the paper they were alerted when a large cash withdrawal (£21,000) was taken from a bank in Manchester which triggered the follow on checks as to where it was going (because of the money laundering regulations linked to drugs , terrorism etc. so they were following the money. Big brother really is everywhere now.

As far as the Visa waiver goes, the reactions are a bit over the top in some instances, although we have heard there is an attempt to redress this and for minor infringement then you may still be allowed in. As we tell all our guests though, at the end of the day it is better to apply for a visa than risk this happening at the start of what is supposed to be an enjoyable holiday.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Junior
    hmmmm. Yes Obviously this story is a bit third-hand so somewhere within lies the truth.

What do you mean by Visa Waiver? Is that what a normal Brit automatically has? If so, would a proper visa application avoid any problem?

I've neer been arrested - but you wonder what's stored against you....! [msnscared] (I must remember not to do the "Do you have a Police record?" joke at immigration.. Doh!)[grin]

Colin

Gold 5 Star Member
    These incidents are very very isolated!

Trevor MacDonald did a report on this a few months back!

Still wouldn't deter most people.

The US are very strict and you do sometimes feel under pressure for nothing!!
    They are just doing there job to the letter.
    We would not expect anything else really!
    [lucky][lucky][lucky]
    Andrew & Diane Moore

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    If you have ever been arrested for anything then you need to get a VISA to visit the USA. Otherwise UK citizens can travel on the VISA waiver program which means you just take your passport and do not need to get a VISA before travel.

The airlines should advise travellers of this and it's then up to each passenger to get a VISA if they need one. It looks like your friend may not have been informed of this by the airline. This has been the case for a long time with travel to the USA - the only difference is they have access to check if you have been arrested now and so will catch you out if you try and fool the system [msnsad]

Florida Expert
    Plymouth, Devon UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, Fl

Once when we were in the line to go through emigration at Sanford, the family in front were there for ages, then they were brought into the room just behind emmigration, there obviously was a problem. Even though none of us have any convictions, I still get nervous going through.

Tricia
    Tricia

Florida Junior
    John,

Do you just believe that airlines should be advising travellers regarding Visas - or do you know that Visa information is something they should definately be providing?

We fly next April with Virgin Atlantic (VA), our flights were booked in May of this year.

We have been provided with an e-ticket, effectively a glorified e-mail. The e-ticket does detail the fact that VA will give US customs and other US agencies access to passenger data, but no mention anywhere that any of our party may require a Visa.

No-one in our party has a criminal record, so I should not have anything to worry about. But if someone had, however trivial, and was not aware of the potential problem this could cause - as maybe this other family didn't, then we would also perhaps have problems with US border control.

I do not know the full information of the other family's story, but they obviously returned home early - a frightening thought, the children are young and upset.

What are the forms on the plane, and how could they influence the situation?

And in reply to Andy (or Diane's) comment, I couldn't bear to have my, or anyone elses for that matter, very expensive trip of a lifetime ruined simply because someone is applying the letter of the law without the application of common sense. I know that they are doing their job, but if someone else isn't, Virgin Atlantic say, by not informing passengers that they may need to apply for Visas, I do not want to get caught inside some silly red tape. Which in my opinion, is effectively what this is - at this level. We are sharing information between UK and US - but perhaps not enough information to make an informed decision at the border control. So you're in - or you're out.

Interesting ... It appears that really I am not fully aware of my obligations. Without the conversation my Wife had, plus my lurking around this Forum, I could have been in a 'bit of bother' if I was a rogue. Which of course I'm not. [msnwink]

Perhaps this lack of information is a downside of not booking through a travel agency. Maybe they inform travellers of the Visa concern? Virgin Atlantic have not informed us regarding Visa's - not yet anyway. Has anyone else had any Visa information?

I hope other forum users are aware of their situation. Perhaps this problem happens more often than we are aware of. Is there anything else that I/we should be aware of?

Me - I'm gonna stay out of trouble for another six months.. [grin]

Colin

Gold 5 Star Member
    The visa waiver regulations for those who have been arrested (even if this was later rescinded and no charges were brought) have been in force for some years, since the visa waiver was introduced, so it's nothing new. Before that, everyone had to apply for a visa to visit the USA as there was no visa waiver scheme.

If you booked your flight through Virgin Atlantic's website, there's an information page about visas at http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...tion/index.jsp although with every flight I've booked so far with many airlines, all have always told travellers on their websites or via travel agents that it's up to the passenger to ensure that they have a valid passport and to check whether they need a visa. Sadly, not everyone takes any notice of this advice.

A lot of people assume that, because an arrest happened years before, that this isn't a problem any more and is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, ie they don't have to tell anyone about it and can forget it ever happened. This isn't the case with entry into the USA and no arrest or conviction is ever regarded as 'spent' by the US authorities in regard to the visa waiver scheme.

The visa waiver form you fill in on the plane asks you questions, including one relating to being arrested or convicted, to which you have to reply Yes or No. I assume that the person who may or may not have been sent back (that your wife heard about) either put Yes on his visa waiver form and then said No to the Immigration Officer (it sounds as if they were very fair and asked him twice and he could had two further opportunities to tell the truth!) or put No and they had access to his arrest record via a computer on arrival or checking for anyone with an arrest record whilst the plane was in flight. They're hardly likely to publicise their information methods as this would be too helpful to those who they are trying to keep out, ie terrorists, etc. But, as none of us know the whole facts of the case you posted about, what happened (or didn't) to this person is all just conjecture.

If no-one in your party has ever been arrested (with or without being convicted), then you have no cause to worry and will, I'm sure, have a great time in Florida!
    blott

Florida Expert
    When you complete the visa waiver form on the plane, it asks whether you have every had a conviction. So with the story at the beginging of this thread, that person must have lied once on the form and twice to the officials. Is it any wonder they acted as they did.

This is definately a time for complete honesty and if in doubt of the regulations ask. Many countries require visas and it is always best to check before travelling.

Jeff
    Jeff & Dallas Myers
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/256.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    "Otherwise UK citizens can travel on the VISA waiver program which means you just take your passport and do not need to get a VISA before travel."

It's not just a case of arrest that could cause problems that could necessitate the need for a visa. They also ask about drug use/abuse, mental health problems, terrorist links.
    These are all questions asked on the visa waiver form and if the answer to any of them is yes then a visa should be applied for.

Its not going to mean they are necessarily going to refuse you one but just another way of checking beforehand who is entering the country.

The airlines should notify passengers of the requirement but I guess they figure that if an adult is old and responsible enough to buy a ticket to a country then they should also be deemed capable of finding out what entry requirements they need to meet, if we travel to Australia for instance we know we need to apply for a visa etc. Same goes for medical innoculations that could be required fora certain country. At the end of the day though all they are selling you is a seat on the plane and if you cant get into the country they still have their money, but I believe they also get fined now if people are refuesed entry so at least there is some incentive to ensure you are informed before travel.

Babblin Boo