Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Security

When we travelled recently my husband was asked who he worked for and when he told them he worked for a multi national chemical company { he works in the polystyrene division but the Co is best known for it's associations with oil) he was asked if he made overseas business trips and wether he visited the middle east. We both replied no at once and had no problems but it makes me wonder what would have happened if the immigration officer had been less amenable[msneek]

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Harmony
    Please do not forget that you are asking to visit THEIR country and it is totally up to them whether they want to let you in or not. You have no RIGHT to entry although millions of visitors have done so with no problems at all. Follow the rules, answer any questions truthfully and you should have no problems, just a great holiday in a wonderful country.

Jeff
    [/quote]

True, but there are such things called common courtesy and decency to fellow humans, which, perhaps contrary to what the US officials believe, includes non-Americans as well. If you think about it, they ask a lot of questions to visitors entering the UK as well through normal channels but the usual attitude here is more personable and less arrogant. I cannot help but feel that a lot of the US immigration officials suffer from the "small man syndrome" and cannot pass up a chance to exercise their authority on hapless tourists. It would not hurt to ask the same questions a bit more courteously.
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Nostrom
    In their defence I have to say we had one of the most pleasant immigration officers ever when we visited JFK recently. A 2 hour wait did not do much for our mood as there were only 3 officers on duty for the arrival of several flights.
    He asked if we were one family and then cracked a joke about which one is the mother is which the daughter (didnt impress my 18 year old that he pretended not to know the difference between her and a 48yr old).
    When he looked at where we were staying (Hotel Pennsylvania) and asked what made us choose that particular hotel and I said something tells me you're saying we've made a bad decision and said yes with the RNC in town and George Bush speaking at Madison Square Gardens directly opposite the next day, the location could be a bit crowded.
    He went on to give us loads of hints of where to make sure we visited etc.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that ALL US immigration officers are rude. To be honest, my wife and I personally have had no major problems though others, particularly my elderly in-laws have not been so lucky. But you keep hearing so many people upset about being mistreated on arrival in the USA for what for a lot of them is a dream holiday. I might be able to afford to go to the US every year, but the next man on the street might not; how would he feel if after a carefully planned holiday he and his family are badly treated on arrival simply because the officials have the right to do it? As I said, they can have all the security they want - I think fingerprinting IS a good idea - but why be rude for God's sake? That's not going to improve security in any way.
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    We've been to the US many, many times now via lots of airports and I can't say I've ever come across an obnoxious immigration officer. A few were serious and just did their jobs but, in the main, some them do have a sense of humour!

One in Newark we encountered said he couldn't wait to get off his shift as it was unseasonably stiflingly hot in the airport - he was looking forward to a blast of air con turned down real low and a cold bath! Another lady in Chicago got the giggles about my mentioning that she had exactly the same type of bracelet as me, which started a jewellery (or jewelry) conversation.

They usually just ask why you're visiting, how long you're staying, when you're going home, that sort of stuff and we've encountered no searching questions at all. Every single one of them has told us to have a good vacation but don't make any jokes about weapons, terrorism or start moaning about the length of the queues/lines and such like as you definitely will be going into that interview room!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Harmony
    Please do not forget that you are asking to visit THEIR country and it is totally up to them whether they want to let you in or not. You have no RIGHT to entry although millions of visitors have done so with no problems at all. Follow the rules, answer any questions truthfully and you should have no problems, just a great holiday in a wonderful country.

Jeff
    [/quote]

But Jeff, that is true of any country. No non-EU citizen has the RIGHT of entry into the UK either. It is just that we are more tolerant.....maybe even too tolerant.
    Nostromo

Florida Expert
    Plymouth, Devon UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, Fl
    I have always found them to be friendly and quite chatty, the worst I have been to is Turkey, where you pay them a £10, (but being Irish we only have to pay £5!) the guy was in this little booth and just throwing the money over his shoulder onto the floor, everyone was saying how rude he was.

Tricia
    Tricia

Florida Chatterbox
    You think thats bad, try flying into Lagos or Kampala.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider
    I have always found them to be friendly and quite chatty, the worst I have been to is Turkey, where you pay them a £10, (but being Irish we only have to pay £5!) the guy was in this little booth and just throwing the money over his shoulder onto the floor, everyone was saying how rude he was.

Tricia
    [/quote]

Florida Chatterbox
    Starting to panic abit about the security issue. My other half was arrested in a case of mistaken identity 12 years ago. Everything was dropped and nothing ever happened. I have been reading the USA Embassy website and i am now confused. Does he need a visa to go Florida. At the time all those years ago it was laughable but it seems to becoming back to haunt us. I am glad i have been reading these threads or we would have been none the wiser. It would be a killer if he was turned back. Another question is that do spent speeding fines count?[8D]

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I would recommend consulting the US Embassy right away as it's very likely they will need a VISA to visit the USA.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
    Starting to panic abit about the security issue. My other half was arrested in a case of mistaken identity 12 years ago. Everything was dropped and nothing ever happened. I have been reading the USA Embassy website and i am now confused. Does he need a visa to go Florida. At the time all those years ago it was laughable but it seems to becoming back to haunt us. I am glad i have been reading these threads or we would have been none the wiser. It would be a killer if he was turned back. Another question is that do spent speeding fines count?[8D]
    [/quote]