Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Descriptions

Florida Savvy
    But would you call a room which is secured, but clearly a non air-conditioned, utility area plus a pool table - a games room?

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    It does have a pool table so yes I would. I think it's maybe a little tenuous but not unture. Nothing says a games room has to be air-conditioned for it to be called a games room.

I would be a little concerned about the garage door being sealed though as that is almost always a designated fire exit route and you would be in breach of your Short Term Rental Licence if this was the case. Obviously the exit routes vary by villa but all the ones I have seen have this as an exit route.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by josephinekelly
    But would you call a room which is secured, but clearly a non air-conditioned, utility area plus a pool table - a games room?
    [/quote]

You should point this out to the owner as by the sounds of it the doors were sealed and you wouldn't have been able to put your car in there anyway if there hadn't been the games equipment- or did I misunderstand ?.Our HOA won't allow us to seal our garage door as it has to be able to be used as an access /exit point but also they won't allow us to put aircon in there as it would mean putting a window in the wall and changing the outside appearance of the house.

If the doors are sealed how do you get out in a fire??

Florida Savvy
    No, you didn't misunderstand Janny. The double garage doors were sealed shut and it could never have been used as a garage like that, pool table or no. The door from the garage to the house could not be locked. I think the owner just never foresaw someone having their own car and really needing to garage it. I take on board that to make it a proper room, planning would require a window etc.

If a description said there was a games room in the house, I would expect it to be proper room, air-conditioned as the rest of the villa. Surely it would be like finding there was no obligation to air-condition a bathroom for instance? I would still describe this as a sealed off garage with a pool table in the middle....

No, you didn't misunderstand Janny. The double garage doors were sealed shut and it could never have been used as a garage like that, pool table or no. The door from the garage to the house could not be locked. I think the owner just never foresaw someone having their own car and really needing to garage it. I take on board that to make it a proper room, planning would require a window etc.

If a description said there was a games room in the house, I would expect it to be proper room, air-conditioned as the rest of the villa. Surely it would be like finding there was no obligation to air-condition a bathroom for instance? I would still describe this as a sealed off garage with a pool table in the middle....
    [/quote]

If a villa is advertised as having a garage you should not have to explane that you want to use it as such, and if when you arrived it was set up as you decribed then I would politely point this out and ask for some form of refund for the days you were unable to use due to the lack of garage.

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bellaepovera
    Who would even care about the car being parked in the garage!! Id be delighted to find a game room instead of an empty garage..course I love playing pool and ping-pong. Especially if the garage door didnt have the zapper for opening it as during a down poor the garage does come in handy! But give me a pool table any day!!
    [/quote]

I am sure most people would but the fact in this instance, is they are advertising something they cannot provide. (for the purpose it was built, to put two cars in) Change it to something else say swimming pool with spa and when you get there no spa, extreme example and probably not the best one to give I know but it is about advertising descriptions not whether you prefer a garge or games room.
    CDV

Most owners who have turned their garage into a games room provide some sort of air circulatory system probably with free standing fans as putting aircon in there is not usually feasible and it is sometines more effective -this however does not get over the fact that you could not use the garage as you wanted to and maybe you even chose that home because of the garage it advertised rather than it having a games room .Contact the owner and point out your feelings so they can ensure that no other guests have the same problem.

Gold 5 Star Member

[/quote]

There isnt any oblication to air condition any part of a house though Josephine, most villas advertise whether they have air conditioning or not but it certainly isnt an obligation to provide it. A lot of games rooms are converted from the garage area and may use ceiling fans or free standing fans instead of air-con because of the restrictions placed on building regs so yes a garage as you have described would be classed as a games room.

CDV, most owners who upgrade their homes regularly will have a proviso on their terms and conditions that free facilities listed may be changed, added to or withdrawn at a future date. It would be very unusual for anything as extreme as a spa to disappear though but other extras are usually provided as a free bonus and as such dont constitute part of the cost of the rental thus allowing an owner to add or remove extras as they see fit.If items couldnt be added because of prior bookings then upgrades wouldnt be possible. If an item was of particular importance to a guest then it is always worth mentioning to the owner.I should also add that most owners add extras rather than taking them away and anything that was to be removed was probably removed for a good reason. This doesnt necessarily relate to a garage being changed as in this instance but I still cant imagine that the owner acted with any intent to deceive and that he probably believes that the vast majority of his guests would welcome the change.

Lesley
    www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-784.aspx

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I think this is opening up a can of worms as there could be many instances where the difference is clouded.

All my villas have games rooms in the garages but the photos of the front of the villa clearly show a garage door. Could you by implication then argue that a garage is advertised. I'm not sure of the right answer.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

If a villa is advertised as having a garage you should not have to explane that you want to use it as such, and if when you arrived it was set up as you decribed then I would politely point this out and ask for some form of refund for the days you were unable to use due to the lack of garage.
    [/quote]